Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pope Francis vs the devil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Some Dude
    replied
    So that's a court justice with some sense? Hallelujah. About a million more and we might actually be heading on a good track with this country.

She does bring up great points about the devil's current game plans though. I've personally always believed that we don't see the more obvious demonic activity today because most people are doing the devil's work anyways, so he ends up spending his time elsewhere in the world.

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    Eh, it does sound funny to bring it up on Harry Reid because of his latest twisted actions, but I'm certain some of our current leaders are heavily influenced by the devil currently. Obviously, not to their own knowledge, nor because they believe or want it, though they have no spiritual power to resist him anyways.
    Last edited by Just Some Dude; 05-12-2014, 06:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    http://nymag.com/news/features/anton...10/index3.html

Justice Scalia recently discussed the devil in an interview:
    You’re looking at me as though I’m weird. My God! Are you so out of touch with most of America, most of which believes in the Devil? I mean, Jesus Christ believed in the Devil! It’s in the Gospels! You travel in circles that are so, so removed from mainstream America that you are appalled that anybody would believe in the Devil! Most of mankind has believed in the Devil, for all of history. Many more intelligent people than you or me have believed in the Devil.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I like hearing this and maybe some people who otherwise wouldn't take it that seriously might give it a second thought because it is Pope Francis. I can't speak toward Catholicism due to unfamiliarity but I know many of us Protestants don't take the idea of the dark supernatural seriously enough. We might affirm that it exists but that doesn't equate to taking it seriously.

(And like the OP, I also don't know for sure what I think about Catholic methods of exorcisms, but I do know I believe that demons exist today.)
    I can understand to some degree why people just dismiss it all. Especially when you have people seeing demons behind every rock and tree, but going off the deep end the other way is still wrong. Anything that downplays this aspect of Christianity immediately has my suspicion.

I think that C.S. Lewis had it right in The Screwtape Letters.

"There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight."

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I like hearing this and maybe some people who otherwise wouldn't take it that seriously might give it a second thought because it is Pope Francis. I can't speak toward Catholicism due to unfamiliarity but I know many of us Protestants don't take the idea of the dark supernatural seriously enough. We might affirm that it exists but that doesn't equate to taking it seriously.

(And like the OP, I also don't know for sure what I think about Catholic methods of exorcisms, but I do know I believe that demons exist today.)
    I agree.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    Can we start with Harry Reid?

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Just Some Dude View Post
    Now, if only we could get some of our political leaders exorcised.
    Can we start with Harry Reid?

Leave a comment:

• Just Some Dude
    started a topic Pope Francis vs the devil

Pope Francis vs the devil

Apparently, Pope Francis is receiving some flak from his liberal adorers because he actually preaches a more traditional view of the devil. You know, the idea that the devil is actually real and causing problems.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...5ea_story.html

Not to sure about what I think of the Catholic method of exorcism, but it's nice to see the pope preaching some traditional Christian doctrine to an unbelieving and obstinate generation.

Now, if only we could get some of our political leaders exorcised.