Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The irony of the New York Times’ 1619 Project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Christianity.com is incorrect. The immediately preceding context is about obeying God's commands.

Sorry, but cafeteria interpretations never stand up to scrutiny.
    Cafeteria interpretations like those of Dave Miller, Ph.D.:

Because of the greatness of the name of God, any use of God's name that brings dishonor on Him or on His character is taking His name in vain. The third of the Ten Commandments forbids taking or using the Lord's name in an irreverent manner because that would indicate a lack of respect for God Himself. https://www.truthaccordingtoscriptur...p#.XXa7WKjyuzx
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
      Cafeteria interpretations like those of Dave Miller, Ph.D.:
      Did you bother to even read your source carefully, or were you just looking for a pull quote that you thought would help you? Because that essay actually supports my interpretation rather than yours...

...though to be fair, I have no idea who Dave Miller is or his area of expertise, but presumably you were impressed enough with his credentials to appeal to him as an authority. Would you mind sharing his resume with the rest of the class?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        If it is just a mental exercise in what is possible, then why spend 20 pages arguing with us saying it is not happening?

I will take this as an admission that neither you nor Sam believe that there is any racial bias in Real Estate search engines, and no actual indications that there even might be any. Thank you.
        That is a really, really wrerd reply to my post. Sometimes i really wonder how in the world you can derive from my posts the just plain crazy conclusions you come up with. That's why sometimes i get a little testy. I work hard to make sure I've made a valid and cohesive point abd it is all for naught because your not even trying to undrstand the point Im making anyway.

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

...though to be fair, I have no idea who Dave Miller is or his area of expertise, but presumably you were impressed enough with his credentials to appeal to him as an authority. Would you mind sharing his resume with the rest of the class?
          Well, a search for "Dave Miller" finds this:
          http://www.apologeticspress.org/dm.aspx

It's a different site, but I believe this is the same guy.

Comment

Did you bother to even read your source carefully, or were you just looking for a pull quote that you thought would help you? Because that essay actually supports my interpretation rather than yours...
            Wrong as the quote clearly shows. And I note you had no quote at all to support your claim. Appealing to yourself as the authority?
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
              Wrong as the quote clearly shows. And I note you had no quote at all to support your claim. Appealing to yourself as the authority?
              This confirms my suspicion that you didn't carefully read the essay.

Thanks for playing, Chuck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                Charles, it’s a short article, did you bother to read past the first paragraph where he agrees with what MM said?
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

MM - he gives the broader context, which includes the part charles quoted which you are leaving out. Taking the Lord's name in vaid means any time we claim to be for God - yet violate who he is by our actions, thoughts or deeds.

And yes, that includes taking peoples words out of context and claiming they said something they didn't. Because God is a God of Truth. And so when we violate truth, we violate God's character - and if we claim Christ, that is taking God's name in vain.

And yes, that means turning a blind eye to the poor and the needy. Because God's character is love and compassion, and he has said a LOT in both the old and the new testaments about the judgement he will heap on those that allow the poor to suffer when they are capable of doing something about it.

And yes, that means when I have falsely accused someone, or when I have gotten angry at the wrong person here, or when I have not taken the time to understand what someone was really saying.

In the end, we ALL take God's name in vain at one point or another, and so we ALL need to look inwardly to understand how our own actions, words (written and spoken), and even our thoughts detract from the great, holy, and merciful name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

And to ALL of us here posting on TWEB - this might be a good time to re-evaluate how our words written here reflect on who God is, and how they speak of Christ to those looking in on our conversations.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    MM - he gives the broader context, which includes the part charles quoted which you are leaving out. Taking the Lord's name in vaid means any time we claim to be for God - yet violate who he is by our actions, thoughts or deeds.

And yes, that includes taking peoples words out of context and claiming they said something they didn't. Because God is a God of Truth. And so when we violate truth, we violate God's character - and if we claim Christ, that is taking God's name in vain.

And yes, that means turning a blind eye to the poor and the needy. Because God's character is love and compassion, and he has said a LOT in both the old and the new testaments about the judgement he will heap on those that allow the poor to suffer when they are capable of doing something about it.

And yes, that means when I have falsely accused someone, or when I have gotten angry at the wrong person here, or when I have not taken the time to understand what someone was really saying.

In the end, we ALL take God's name in vain at one point or another, and so we ALL need to look inwardly to understand how our own actions, words (written and spoken), and even our thoughts detract from the great, holy, and merciful name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

And to ALL of us here posting on TWEB - this might be a good time to re-evaluate how our words written here reflect on who God is, and how they speak of Christ to those looking in on our conversations.

Jim
                    You’re hardly perfect, especially where you complain about personal attacks yet make a personal attack against all your opponents right in this very post or how you accuse your opponents of being racist, simply for not agreeing with you in terms of race relations in this country. Do those things count?
                    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 09-10-2019, 08:07 AM.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      You’re hardly perfect, especially where you complain about personal attacks yet make a personal attack against all your opponents right in this very post or how you accuse your opponents of being racist, simply for not agreeing with you in terms of race relations in this country. Do those things count?
                      Did you read the third paragraph of my post? I'm direct about my own failings.

And I don't need to be perfect to recognize we all get out of line and we all need to do something about it. Else why would the scripture command us to hold each other accountable to righteousness? None of us qualifies on our own merit for that task.

When we chose to follow Christ - we were Baptised. That Baptism is the symbol of dying to the old life, being resurrected into newness of life, and putting on the Cross of Christ - daily. We are not doing a very good job of representing Christ Here. All of us.

It needs to change.

Jim
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-10-2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Jim
                        That's a nice sermon, but it has nothing to do with anything in this thread.

That is to say that I don't believe someone saying, "My God!" as an exclamation is guilty of violating scripture.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          To not speak the name of the Lord in vain is to not use God's name in empty speech. Don't swear to God flippantly, do not speak of God flippantly, do not use God's name flippantly as an exclamation or exasperation.

To do so is profanity, for it takes what is holy and makes it vulgar.

--Sam
                          Considering the Lord's name is YHVH, I didn't even mention it.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

In the southwest (which included colorado and surrounding states) during the time when black/white racism was rampant in other parts of the country, the racist element there involved Mexicans, lingering from the mid 1800's.

Source: wikipedia

The lynching of Mexicans and Mexican Americans in the Southwest has long been overlooked in American history. This may be due to the fact that most historical records categorized Mexicans, Italians, Native Americans, and sometimes Chinese lynching victims as white.[6] It is estimated that at least 597 Mexican Americans were lynched between 1848 and 1928. Mexicans were lynched at a rate of 27.4 per 100,000 of population between 1880 and 1930. This statistic is second only to that of the African American community during that period, which suffered an average of 37.1 per 100,000 population.[3] Between 1848 and 1879, Mexicans were lynched at an unprecedented rate of 473 per 100,000 of population. Most of these lynchings were not instances of "frontier justice"—of the 597 total victims, only 64 were lynched in areas which lacked a formal judicial system.[7] The majority of lynching victims were denied access to a trial while others were convicted in unfair trials.
                            During the California Gold Rush, as many as 25,000 Mexicans arrived in California. Many of these Mexicans were experienced miners and had some success mining gold in California. Some Anglos reacted with violence. Between 1848 and 1860, at least 163 Mexicans were lynched in California alone.[7]

© Copyright Original Source

Jim
                            Psst, I was born in the 1980’s. Over 50 years after the 1930’s and 130 years after the 1860’s. My Aunt married a Mexican man in the early 60’s and I even went out with a Mexican boy while in high school just so you’re aware. Living among racist wasn’t part of my upbringing since those lynching Mexicans were dead or old, by the time I was born.
                            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 09-10-2019, 08:27 AM.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Did you read the third paragraph of my post? I'm direct about my own failings.

And I don't need to be perfect to recognize we all get out of line and we all need to do something about it. Else why would the scripture command us to hold each other accountable to righteousness? None of us qualifies on our own merit for that task.

When we chose to follow Christ - we were Baptised. That Baptism is the symbol of dying to the old life, being resurrected into newness of life, and putting on the Cross of Christ - daily. We are not doing a very good job of representing Christ Here. All of us.

It needs to change.

Jim
                              Yes I did and have you apologized for accusing your opponents of being racist simply for thinking the racist problem is overblown, for political purposes?
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

That's a nice sermon, but it has nothing to do with anything in this thread.

That is to say that I don't believe someone saying, "My God!" as an exclamation is guilty of violating scripture.
                                The post you are replying to has NOTHING to so with saying "My God!" as an exclamation. And you know that.

As a secondary comment: This business of "Who are you to say X is a sin" is a reflection of the hardness of hearts and pride, nothing less - every time anyone here says that.

I does not matter WHO points out a problem - we have a responsibility as Christians to search our hearts, to pray to God to find out if its true. And IF ITS TRUE, WE MUST REPENT. Period. End of story. This is not optional. Have you forgotten who we are and who Christ is?

WE follow Christ - yes? Then that means WE can never, ever ignore a call to righteous behavior, no matter where or from whom that call originates.

Jim

Comment