Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

MSNBC Guest Advises: 'Destroy' Most Whites Over Their Supporting Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Correct, I don't know his history. I was going by the linked video. I'm assuming just almost no one else commenting in this thread knew his history. Did you?

Is this supposed to be a counter-point to my opinion that he was not referring to physically beating people up in the OP? If so, can you maybe quote the bit in the article where you believer he's promoting violence? I skimmed it, and he seems to be saying the opposite of that,
    "There is no justice for black people. And yet violently revolting against the system will get us nowhere. ... Jury nullification at least has the benefit of being non-violent. Understand, when cops when the armed forces of the state can shoot me for no reason and get away with it, I am no longer living in a civil society. Im living in the state of nature, and I have a natural right to defend myself by any means necessary. But Im not here advocating a violent response to systematic injustice (because wed lose). Violence has a tendency to be indiscriminate, anyway."
    I agree. All the linked article does is demonstrate that the guest feels particularly strong about the issue. This seems to be a strange hill to die on.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Correct, I don't know his history. I was going by the linked video. I'm assuming just almost no one else commenting in this thread knew his history. Did you?

Is this supposed to be a counter-point to my opinion that he was not referring to physically beating people up in the OP? If so, can you maybe quote the bit in the article where you believer he's promoting violence? I skimmed it, and he seems to be saying the opposite of that,
    "There is no justice for black people. And yet violently revolting against the system will get us nowhere. ... Jury nullification at least has the benefit of being non-violent. Understand, when cops when the armed forces of the state can shoot me for no reason and get away with it, I am no longer living in a civil society. Im living in the state of nature, and I have a natural right to defend myself by any means necessary. But Im not here advocating a violent response to systematic injustice (because wed lose). Violence has a tendency to be indiscriminate, anyway."
    He's not saying, "We shouldn't be violent because it's wrong," he's saying, "We shouldn't be violent because we'll lose." Presumably he wouldn't have a problem with it if he thought they could win.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    SCA knights wear spurs! It was a thing with medieval knights.

Also, depends on the horse. I used to ride at a rental place that had Chester - the universe's slowest horse. The only horse I EVER rode that would not keep up with the other horses riding in a group. Literally, he'd let them go off and leave us. Didn't matter, he knew the way but I was taught that only one of us was in charge - and it wasn't supposed to be him. Result was I'd wear myself out kicking his butt just to keep him walking fast enough to keep up with horses that weren't walking all that fast! Dang near killed myself the one and only time I managed to get him to trot...

Only horse I ever wanted spurs for! Not sure it would have helped...
    Yeah, I don't see spurs nearly as much as I used to. Been a while sicne I ran into a knight.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    For a bit on the history of spurs

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Trump has yuge chance of Reagan level Trumpslide.
    A lot will depend on the state of the economy. That is what Trump has hung his hat on and if it starts sputtering he could be in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    I think he may BE more uniting than he's given credit for. The polls around him are doing weird things - makes me suspicious that he's actually more popular than the polling indicates because moderates and Democrats are reluctant to say anything positive, even to pollsters (yeah, it's a real thing).
    Lying to pollsters was relatively common with Brexit and the 2016 election.

Leave a comment:

• demi-conservative
    replied
    Trump has yuge chance of Reagan level Trumpslide.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I know it was supposed to be a joke, but I'm really concerned about the state of our Nation, and I think Trump is being a huge part of the problem.
    I think he may BE more uniting than he's given credit for. The polls around him are doing weird things - makes me suspicious that he's actually more popular than the polling indicates because moderates and Democrats are reluctant to say anything positive, even to pollsters (yeah, it's a real thing).

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied

Spurs would be on boots, not shoes, and only when one is riding horses, and then pretty much only when one is working cattle or engaging in rodeo activities.

Also, depends on the horse. I used to ride at a rental place that had Chester - the universe's slowest horse. The only horse I EVER rode that would not keep up with the other horses riding in a group. Literally, he'd let them go off and leave us. Didn't matter, he knew the way but I was taught that only one of us was in charge - and it wasn't supposed to be him. Result was I'd wear myself out kicking his butt just to keep him walking fast enough to keep up with horses that weren't walking all that fast! Dang near killed myself the one and only time I managed to get him to trot...

Only horse I ever wanted spurs for! Not sure it would have helped...

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]39054[/ATTACH]
    I know it was supposed to be a joke, but I'm really concerned about the state of our Nation, and I think Trump is being a huge part of the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Bad example --- that's part of what is driving the division -- TDS vs his supporters..... and I really DO think he could be uniting if he wanted to be.
    joke.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Trump?

Bad example --- that's part of what is driving the division -- TDS vs his supporters..... and I really DO think he could be uniting if he wanted to be.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Unfortunately, the thing that unites America is a common enemy. Pearl Harbor, 9-11...
    Trump?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Im trying to be less combative, CP.
    I'm kidding, ff.

Think I should look for a passage on a ship, maybe work as a toilet attendant, and come to meet yall in Texas, when we could sort out these disagreements, and I can escape from Brexit. I remember you saying that Jake might let me share his crib. With this prospect in mind, I wonder if all the men wear spurs on their shoes and whether you have a spare set that you might lend me. I already have a Trilby hat.
    Spurs would be on boots, not shoes, and only when one is riding horses, and then pretty much only when one is working cattle or engaging in rodeo activities.

America is divided, and it needs me to glue it together again. What do you think?
    Unfortunately, the thing that unites America is a common enemy. Pearl Harbor, 9-11... I don't wish for something really bad to happen, but it seems the only thing that brings Americans together. Honestly, in this climate, I'm not sure that would even work.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    You mean the one where they decided to search for sane Democrats?
    Im trying to be less combative, CP. Think I should look for a passage on a ship, maybe work as a toilet attendant, and come to meet yall in Texas, when we could sort out these disagreements, and I can escape from Brexit. I remember you saying that Jake might let me share his crib. With this prospect in mind, I wonder if all the men wear spurs on their shoes and whether you have a spare set that you might lend me. I already have a Trilby hat.

America is divided, and it needs me to glue it together again. What do you think?

Greta Thunberg is on her way, and Siberia burns. Things are getting a little more extreme than we have been used to.
    Last edited by firstfloor; 08-15-2019, 08:48 AM.

Leave a comment: