Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Eurovision, Russia and “Perverts”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eurovision, Russia and “Perverts”

In other news:
    Bearded Austrian drag act Conchita Wurst (Tom Neuwirth) has won the 59th annual Eurovision Song Contest held in Denmark's capital, Copenhagen. There was a lot of booing directed at Russia (for the obvious reason) during the voting phase which was a shame for the Tolmachevy Sisters. This is European politics laid bare by singing.

The winning song wasn’t all that good (my opinion) so we here at chez firstfloor thought the voters were having a bit of fun. We had noticed this sort of thing before in UK television/public telephone voting/competitions where the duffer has been kept in the competition far too long and against the ‘expert’ advice coming from the ‘judges’.

Ah! But there’s more to it than that. This was written following the semi-finals:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/eurovision-...st-win-1447871

“Ladies and gentlemen, we have a wiener! Ten reasons why Austria's bearded lady, Conchita Wurst, must win the Eurovision Song Contest 2014.
    1. It will upset the Russians. Vitaly Milonov, the politician who was behind Russia's strict anti-gay propaganda law, has been reported as saying that "pervert" Wurst would "insult millions of Russians" by taking part in the "Europe-wide gay parade". Russia is expected to suffer in the voting because of its stance on homosexuality and the current crisis in Ukraine. The Ukrainian entry received rousing cheers during the semi-finals, while Russia's Tolmachevy Twins were booed.”
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

I don't follow Eurovision but I thought it was cool hearing about when the metal band won a few years back.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I don't follow Eurovision but I thought it was cool hearing about when the metal band won a few years back.
      Yeah, it’s difficult to know what to make of it sometimes – the Guardian newspaper called it a festival of supercamp. The voting is always very political. I should have had a notice up saying this thread is unsuitable for people of a nervous disposition.
      Last edited by firstfloor; 05-11-2014, 03:18 PM.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment