Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Epstein Found Dead In Cell...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with this part....

Originally posted by Charles View Post
    You tried to make the case that I was naive when I was pointing to the importance in headlines being correct.
    Here is actually what I said...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Charles, it used to be that, even in major cities, there were one or two newspapers from which to choose, and maybe three channels on TV - ABC, NBC and CBS.

Now, any "citizen journalist" (or kook) can put a fancy looking website and appear to be "official".

If you don't think the news outlets are in it for the money, you, sir, are pretty naive.
    I was pointing out - as in my very words above - that you are naive if you think the news outlets are not in it for the money.

I shall now await your apology for misrepresenting me....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      I think the right course of action is to wait until all of the facts are in. The news media tends to have a very myopic view of these things in order to stir up controversy and sell papers (as it were). It's fine to speculate, but I think it's wise to hold off on language that suggests certainty until all of the details are present. We're not quite at that point yet.
      MSM is mainly untrustworthy when they can exploit it with a partisan angle. In this case, since it works both against Clinton and Trump, there's not really any partisan angle MSM can really target without hurting one or the other. In most cases though, MSM works to dissuade conspiracy theories and tote the official line of the story (though there hasn't really been an official line with this story yet since it's still being investigated). There's already quite a few article hit pieces against Epstein conspiracy theories I've seen floating out there, especially against Trump's claim it was the Clintons. They've really jumped on that one. So it doesn't seem they'd be ready, perhaps even a bit reluctant to report unconfirmed facts that would fuel those theories even more.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      Don't forget: if it weren't for the news media, we wouldn't have gotten all of the vital, hard-hitting reporting on the Russian collusion story.
      It's funny that some people seem to forget this was propagated by the intelligence community. Sure the MSM took advantage of it because it worked against Trump, but this was the official government story reflecting off the MSM at the time and to question it dubbed Trump supporters as conspiracy theorists.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Well we have successfully gotten JimL and crew to agree with the conservative conspiracy that Epstein was murdered, instead of going with the liberal talking points that he just committed suicide.

This is truly a momentous occasion in Tweb history.

Is it a liberal talking point that he just committed suicide? As far as I can tell, a lot of conservatives are saying that it was a hit job or am opportunistic suicide driven by the Clintons, and a lot of liberals are saying it's a hit job or opportunistic suicide driven by Trump. Then there's a middle group who are saying, looks like it's a suicide committed in a prison much like many other suicides committed in prison. Let's wait to get more details before assuming anyone else was involved.

Comment

Is it a liberal talking point that he just committed suicide? As far as I can tell, a lot of conservatives are saying that it was a hit job or am opportunistic suicide driven by the Clintons, and a lot of liberals are saying it's a hit job or opportunistic suicide driven by Trump. Then there's a middle group who are saying, looks like it's a suicide committed in a prison much like many other suicides committed in prison. Let's wait to get more details before assuming anyone else was involved.
          My definitive answer at this point --- I don't know.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, it's been suspected by people on all sides. I think Sparko wasn't being serious though.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              No, it's been suspected by people on all sides. I think Sparko wasn't being serious though.
              Yes, I think he wasn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                There's already quite a few article hit pieces against Epstein conspiracy theories I've seen floating out there, especially against Trump's claim it was the Clintons. They've really jumped on that one.
                I mean...maybe that's because the actual President of the United States implied it was the Clintons. As far as I know, the Clintons have yet to make similar charges against Trump.

Comment

From what I've seen of the conspiracy side is that he was killed (either arranged by the Clintons -- by the right, or Trump -- by the left). This has been my personal lament that they seem to be creating a false dichotomy. Either it IS a conspiracy and he was killed, or it's NOT a conspiracy and he committed suicide.

Comment

I mean...maybe that's because the actual President of the United States implied it was the Clintons. As far as I know, the Clintons have yet to make similar charges against Trump.
                    The Clintons have been quiet as Church mice since the portrait of Bill in a blue dress was revealed.

Comment

Yes, and my point was, that you snipped, is that I highly doubt MSM is going to be reporting unconfirmed facts that will fuel the conspiracy theory even more. Yes, they tend to sensationalize things, particularly when it's partisan driven. But this is not the case, in fact, just the opposite is the case.

Comment

All of the liberal talking head I have heard were saying he committed suicide and the conservatives are nuts because they think it was a murder and blaming it on Hillary or some other nefarious group.

Comment

All of the liberal talking head I have heard were saying he committed suicide and the conservatives are nuts because they think it was a murder and blaming it on Hillary or some other nefarious group.
                          Joe Scarborough, who I think has to be considered a liberal at this point in time, immediately blamed the Russians.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Joe Scarborough, who I think has to be considered a liberal at this point in time, immediately blamed the Russians.
                            The Russians have become the left's boogyman. They did everything.

Comment

The Russians have become the left's boogyman. They did everything.
                              They even made the Chinese hack Hillary's emails!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                I was pointing out - as in my very words above - that you are naive if you think the news outlets are not in it for the money.

I shall now await your apology for misrepresenting me....
                                And the context was truth in headlines. I had made the point that it was important that headlines were not manipulative. Here is your response to that point:

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                In this day and age, Charles, headlines are DESIGNED to be clickbait. They want your attention. And they're true to the maxim "if it bleeds, it leads". So, no, headlines are NOT "quite important". They often are so far out of touch with the article they introduce...
                                Emphasis mine.

There is no other context in which your statement would be relevant. It would be like if I suddenly completely out of context said: "If you believe the earth is flat, you, sir, are naive."

Your post did nothing at all to support the aim for truth in headlines until i made that obvious. Before that it was all about appealing to general practise and low standards.
                                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment