Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Democrat candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Any others want to weigh in? I'm not going to argue, just curious what people think about the candidates so far.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Kamala Harris' campaign claims that Russia is behind Tulsi Gabbards strong debate performance. No, this isn't a headline from the Babylon Bee!

Reporters writing their stories with eyes on the modern-day assignment desk of Twitter, read this:

"The Russian propaganda machine that tried to influence the 2016 election is now promoting the presidential aspirations of a controversial Hawaii Democrat"

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-lands-attack/

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

There are also allegations that Twitter took Gabbard's name out of trending during the debate. Quite possibly true since it is very strange that she was the number one google search but didn't trend at all on Twitter.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          I'm not going to argue...
          Twinky!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Kamala Harris' campaign claims that Russia is behind Tulsi Gabbards strong debate performance. No, this isn't a headline from the Babylon Bee!

Reporters writing their stories with eyes on the modern-day assignment desk of Twitter, read this:

"The Russian propaganda machine that tried to influence the 2016 election is now promoting the presidential aspirations of a controversial Hawaii Democrat"

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-lands-attack/

The Dems long knives are out for her - how dare she best Harris!

Russia's propaganda machine discovers 2020 Democratic candidate Tulsi Gabbard

Experts who track websites and social media linked to Russia have seen stirrings of a possible campaign of support for Hawaii Democrat Tulsi Gabbard.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...abbard-n964261
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I really don't like Kamala Harris. She comes across as just mean and a bully. But then so does Trump so maybe they would be a good match?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I really don't like Kamala Harris. She comes across as just mean and a bully. But then so does Trump so maybe they would be a good match?
                If Gabbard can one up her - what do you suppose Trump will do?!
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Too close to truth to be satire

Source: Snopes Issues Pre-Approval Of All Statements Made During Tonight's Democratic Debate

U.S.—With the Democratic primary debates in full swing, many fact-checking websites are preparing to review candidates’ statements for accuracy. Thankfully, Snopes, the most unbiased fact-checking website ever, has found a way to expedite their evaluation process.

Since their original founding in 1957 by the KGB, Snopes has gained a reputation for objectively reporting what someone’s secret motivations probably were, and what they probably really meant when they said something. More recently, they have perfected the art of determining whether a satirical article is hilarious, left-leaning comedy or divisive, conservative-leaning fake news.

As part of their ongoing goal of being able to rush to judgment as quickly as possible, Snopes published a pre-approval of all future statements made by candidates during the Democratic debates.

“While we understand there may be some disagreements among progressive candidates on certain issues, we know that nobody who shares our worldview would ever say anything factually untrue,” Snopes explains in their article.

Snopes also clarified that in the event a candidate does say anything that sounds untrue/conservative, they will automatically conclude that the individual had pure intentions and meant something completely different. As a very last resort, they may change a particular rating to “mixed,” assuming some context was missing.

At publishing, Snopes had also released a fact-check for all future statements by President Trump, rating them all as “False.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It does appear from the links in MM's post that certain Russian interests have been supporting Gabbard (like they did with Jill Stein) but this is no fault of her own; her campaign isn't actively working with RT or anything. It makes sense they would want to keep the candidate whose campaign is built around the least aggressive foreign policy in the spotlight.
                    Last edited by KingsGambit; 08-01-2019, 06:32 PM.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Too close to truth to be satire

Source: Snopes Issues Pre-Approval Of All Statements Made During Tonight's Democratic Debate

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38787[/ATTACH]

U.S.—With the Democratic primary debates in full swing, many fact-checking websites are preparing to review candidates’ statements for accuracy. Thankfully, Snopes, the most unbiased fact-checking website ever, has found a way to expedite their evaluation process.

Since their original founding in 1957 by the KGB, Snopes has gained a reputation for objectively reporting what someone’s secret motivations probably were, and what they probably really meant when they said something. More recently, they have perfected the art of determining whether a satirical article is hilarious, left-leaning comedy or divisive, conservative-leaning fake news.

As part of their ongoing goal of being able to rush to judgment as quickly as possible, Snopes published a pre-approval of all future statements made by candidates during the Democratic debates.

“While we understand there may be some disagreements among progressive candidates on certain issues, we know that nobody who shares our worldview would ever say anything factually untrue,” Snopes explains in their article.

Snopes also clarified that in the event a candidate does say anything that sounds untrue/conservative, they will automatically conclude that the individual had pure intentions and meant something completely different. As a very last resort, they may change a particular rating to “mixed,” assuming some context was missing.

At publishing, Snopes had also released a fact-check for all future statements by President Trump, rating them all as “False.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        For the leftists and moderates here, and for the conservatives who see themselves possibly voting for a Democrat for president: if the election was tomorrow and you could pick the Democratic candidate, which Democrat would you prefer? Feel free to make a distinction between who you'd ideally prefer and who you'd settle for with the best chance of beating Trump, if there's a difference. If you have ranked choices (say, top three), feel free to mention that as well.

This is purely for my own curiosity.
                        I think I fall under "moderate" but it's pretty unlikely I'll be voting for a Democrat in the main election (Trump is also unlikely, for the record), so I'm not sure how much my thoughts are worth. But if I had to pick one? That's tricky, because to be honest I haven't paid that much attention. By the time the primary reaches my state there'll be 5 candidates left at most, so trying to figure things out when the choice will be so diminished by the time it comes to me isn't that big a priority to me.

Most likely one of the lesser-known candidates would be my favorite but like I said, don't really know much about them yet. Come back to me in half a year and I'll have a better idea because any that survive will actually be known by that point. But of the candidates I'm aware of I'd probably pick Biden because he at least seems the most moderate of the major candidates.

I don't know who has the best chance of beating Trump. Maybe Sanders because whatever you might think of his policy ideas, he seems the most genuine of the major Democratic candidates. Of course, Sanders' success would also depend very heavily on who he picks as his Vice President given Sanders' age makes it more likely than usual that the VP would assume command due to the death or incapacitation of the president.

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            The Dems long knives are out for her - how dare she best Harris!

Russia's propaganda machine discovers 2020 Democratic candidate Tulsi Gabbard

Experts who track websites and social media linked to Russia have seen stirrings of a possible campaign of support for Hawaii Democrat Tulsi Gabbard.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...abbard-n964261
                            That's so odd to me. You'd think that if they hated Trump that much, they'd pick a leftist candidate that could actually beat Trump. Isn't that what it's all about? Beat Trump no matter what? Are they that delusional (and I'm referring to the more establishment Dems here), or do they actually want Trump to win? I really can't decide.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                              I think I fall under "moderate" but it's pretty unlikely I'll be voting for a Democrat in the main election (Trump is also unlikely, for the record), so I'm not sure how much my thoughts are worth. But if I had to pick one? That's tricky, because to be honest I haven't paid that much attention. By the time the primary reaches my state there'll be 5 candidates left at most, so trying to figure things out when the choice will be so diminished by the time it comes to me isn't that big a priority to me.

Most likely one of the lesser-known candidates would be my favorite but like I said, don't really know much about them yet. Come back to me in half a year and I'll have a better idea because any that survive will actually be known by that point. But of the candidates I'm aware of I'd probably pick Biden because he at least seems the most moderate of the major candidates.

I don't know who has the best chance of beating Trump. Maybe Sanders because whatever you might think of his policy ideas, he seems the most genuine of the major Democratic candidates. Of course, Sanders' success would also depend very heavily on who he picks as his Vice President given Sanders' age makes it more likely than usual that the VP would assume command due to the death or incapacitation of the president.
                              Fence sitters, moderate leftists, independents won't vote for Sanders. And if Trump can sustain the phony economic bubble as well as he has up to 2020, that's even more of a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                                That's so odd to me. You'd think that if they hated Trump that much, they'd pick a leftist candidate that could actually beat Trump. Isn't that what it's all about? Beat Trump no matter what? Are they that delusional (and I'm referring to the more establishment Dems here), or do they actually want Trump to win? I really can't decide.
                                Maybe they want Gabbard's foreign policy to dominate the narrative to the point where the Democratic candidates feel pressure to try to outdo themselves on the issue. That wouldn't require her even getting nominated.
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment