Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will The Global Warming Hysterics Never Tire Of Being Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I'm sure they have it right this time!

Warnings about climate change go back to the 1960’s. That’s how much time we’ve wasted. We’ll reap what we sow, and we deserve not an ounce of sympathy.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
      Warnings about climate change go back to the 1960’s.
      Yes, I remember being in grade school in the 70s and hearing my classmates talk about the impending ice age.

Good times.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Then the article is wrong.

However, the closer we get to the point of no return, the harder it is to make the needed corrections. And the precipice is not signposted. Altogether, it seems almost impossible to avoid the worst possible outcome.
        Well it's nice when if you are wrong you can adjust the data to say you were right, or even claim that the fact the world didn't end proves that our efforts are working and we need to spend more money.

Whether global warming is happening or not, it has become the religion of scientists and politicians and a pretty good sized cash cow for both groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          So is the world ending in 18 months or 12 years? I need to make plans.
          Occupy til He returns.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Warnings about climate change go back to the 1960’s. That’s how much time we’ve wasted. We’ll reap what we sow, and we deserve not an ounce of sympathy.
            Yes, that's when they tried scaring us poor kids to death with "the coming ice age".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Except that the supertanker has supposedly reached the point of no return <scrolls up to count> nine times. So, if we believe what we've been told, there's no longer a point to trying to avoid global climate whatsis - we're already doomed.

That's the problem - so much of this is based on modelling, which is very like survey research in how danged finicky it can be. Trying your best can still result in totally nonsensical results, even when you're good at it. My understanding is that the Russian modelling has been the closest thus far to actual events - and it's the one that doesn't think the world is ending.

A good model, in my methodological studies, is the one that is accurate (not precise, just accurate) but the predictions we're given are all over the place. Then someone tells me I'm stupid for questioning why the emperor's wearing his birthday suit - if the folks that believe this is real want policy change, they're gonna have to give us something better to work with.
              Part of the problem here is you don't understand my point or even the point of the scientists the OP article ignorantly mocks. My point is that the characterization of the warning by the article in the OP is completely wrong. The warning concerns time to avoid missing a certain target in warming mitigation (the target hoped for in the Paris accords). It is not a warning that if we don't meet that target the world will end or temperatures will be unbearable in whatever town you live in. The article then is just a big sarcastic straw-man. It's based on ignorance and an incapacity to even understand what is being said by the scientists saying it.

The models show that if we don't do something to change the growth in CO2 in the atmosphere, the world will warm by more than 1.5 degrees by 2100. It takes time for CO2 levels to come down, so there is a point at which it is impossible to change the trend enough to reduce the growth trend enough not to exceed that temperature value. This business of saying the predictions have been 'wrong' boils down to dismissing the science because the actual value might be 1.6 or 1.4 degrees C. It's just asininely stupid. We have warmed .8 to .9 degrees C since 1970. Even if that trend is linear*, we will exceed 1.5 degrees (total) by 2100. Glacial melt in Greenland EXCEEDS even the worst predictions. The Polar Ice extent is less and more importantly, ice doesn't survive as long - so while we still see ice there, it's younger and thinner - less capable of surviving the summer:

https://fox2now.com/2018/02/26/nasa-...polar-ice-cap/

So - again - that article is nothing more than people like yourself wanting to paint AGW as silly and doing pretty much what the 14 year olds did in the back of the church whenever the preacher got serious about something. It's immature and ignorant. The world is warming, the glaciers are melting. But it is a long, slow process - even though the warming trend itself exceeds (the slope of the line representing the temperature rise) any known change in history that was not also devastating to life on the planet. So its impact will be gradual even though it ultimately is a serious problem. The stark reality is this - as the impacts become more and more obvious, as we begin losing coastline or coastal cities, as heat waves that can kill become more and more common in summer, it will be WAY past a time when we can do anything about it other than to try to build retaining walls or move inland or live more and more indoors in air conditioned rooms (assuming we can keep pace with the resulting power needs).

Ignorant people mocking what they don't understand or know is not normally anything to take seriously - except for the fact so many have been duped by it and the potential cost to us all of such immaturity is significant.

Jim

*CO2 etc levels continue to rise year over year, which means we have not reached any sort of equilibrium nor will we in the foreseeable future.
              Methane is also on the rise, which is a far more powerful GHG than CO2. And while we don't fully understand that, methane can be released as a consequence of warming from permafrost. So warming begets more warming.
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-30-2019, 10:01 AM.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                The models show that if we don't do something to change the growth in CO2 in the atmosphere, the world will warm by more than 1.5 degrees by 2100. It takes time for CO2 levels to come down, so there is a point at which it is impossible to change the trend enough to reduce the growth trend enough not to exceed that temperature value. This business of saying the predictions have been 'wrong' boils down to dismissing the science because the actual value might be 1.6 or 1.4 degrees C. It's just asininely stupid. We have warmed .8 to .9 degrees C since 1970. Even if that trend is linear*, we will exceed 1.5 degrees (total) by 2100. Glacial melt in Greenland EXCEEDS even the worst predictions. The Polar Ice extent is less and more importantly, ice doesn't survive as long - to while we still see ice there, it's younger and thinner - less capable of surviving the summer:

https://fox2now.com/2018/02/26/nasa-...polar-ice-cap/

A couple of points. First, where I live in southern New England used to be covered with 50-100 foot glaciers. Glacial melt has been happening for for 15,000 years ( and no one really knows why). Perhaps this preset warming is just a more rapid continuation of what caused warming since the ice age and as the heat increases so does the rate or feedback (as you said: warming begets more warming.). According to NOAA the earth has warmed about 1 degree Celsius since 1880. Which hasn't caused any unusual weather conditions, who know how bad a 1.5 degree rise will be - really. And remember the Arctic was once tropical, perhaps the earth is just returning to what it once was.
                Last edited by seer; 07-30-2019, 10:09 AM.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Occupy til He returns.
                  well yeah but I have to do a lot more occupying if it's 12 years. I could just go ahead and retire if it is 18 months.

Comment

Yes, that's when they tried scaring us poor kids to death with "the coming ice age".
                    Just don’t say you were never warned. Plagues, droughts, fires, hunger, and pestilence are on their way to a neighborhood near you.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Occupy til He returns.
                      He is so disgusted with you lot that he has cancelled his reservation.

Comment

Plagues, droughts, fires, hunger, and pestilence are on their way to a neighborhood near you.
                        So business as usual...
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Just don’t say you were never warned. Plagues, droughts, fires, hunger, and pestilence are on their way to a neighborhood near you.
                          Or already here if you live in a liberal state like California.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            So business as usual...
                            Actually, no. You’re about 180 degrees off target, ... as usual. I’m sure there is a Bible verse or two that would describe your particular inability to see what is right in front of your nose.

Comment

Does a Christian think?; God wouldn’t do this to us, so it cannot be happening.

Comment

Does a Christian think?; God wouldn’t do this to us, so it cannot be happening.
                                I have never heard anyone say it directly but I have read statements that would give me the impression they could be thinking along those lines. On the other hand, I have met Christians who were of the opinion that since the universe (in their opinion) is created by God it is our duty to take care of it and not "mess" with it. As with all things, the opinions of Christians differ quite a lot.
                                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment