Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will The Global Warming Hysterics Never Tire Of Being Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Just don’t say you were never warned. Plagues, droughts, fires, hunger, and pestilence are on their way to a neighborhood near you.

Been reading Revelation, eh?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Been reading Revelation, eh?
      Global warming?

2 Peter 3:10

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
        Does a Christian think?; God wouldn’t do this to us, so it cannot be happening.
        I suppose some might think that way, but I've never heard anyone actually express it.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Just don’t say you were never warned. Plagues, droughts, fires, hunger, and pestilence are on their way to a neighborhood near you.
          I am ready to be absent from the body and present with the Lord - this world is not my home, I'm just passin' through.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He is so disgusted with you lot that he has cancelled his reservation.
            This is exactly what Satan would say.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Global warming?

2 Peter 3:10

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.
              Psalm 46:6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
              Psalm 97:5 The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                Part of the problem here is you don't understand my point or even the point of the scientists the OP article ignorantly mocks. My point is that the characterization of the warning by the article in the OP is completely wrong. The warning concerns time to avoid missing a certain target in warming mitigation (the target hoped for in the Paris accords). It is not a warning that if we don't meet that target the world will end or temperatures will be unbearable in whatever town you live in. The article then is just a big sarcastic straw-man. It's based on ignorance and an incapacity to even understand what is being said by the scientists saying it.

The models show that if we don't do something to change the growth in CO2 in the atmosphere, the world will warm by more than 1.5 degrees by 2100. It takes time for CO2 levels to come down, so there is a point at which it is impossible to change the trend enough to reduce the growth trend enough not to exceed that temperature value. This business of saying the predictions have been 'wrong' boils down to dismissing the science because the actual value might be 1.6 or 1.4 degrees C. It's just asininely stupid. We have warmed .8 to .9 degrees C since 1970. Even if that trend is linear*, we will exceed 1.5 degrees (total) by 2100. Glacial melt in Greenland EXCEEDS even the worst predictions. The Polar Ice extent is less and more importantly, ice doesn't survive as long - so while we still see ice there, it's younger and thinner - less capable of surviving the summer:

https://fox2now.com/2018/02/26/nasa-...polar-ice-cap/

So - again - that article is nothing more than people like yourself wanting to paint AGW as silly and doing pretty much what the 14 year olds did in the back of the church whenever the preacher got serious about something. It's immature and ignorant. The world is warming, the glaciers are melting. But it is a long, slow process - even though the warming trend itself exceeds (the slope of the line representing the temperature rise) any known change in history that was not also devastating to life on the planet. So its impact will be gradual even though it ultimately is a serious problem. The stark reality is this - as the impacts become more and more obvious, as we begin losing coastline or coastal cities, as heat waves that can kill become more and more common in summer, it will be WAY past a time when we can do anything about it other than to try to build retaining walls or move inland or live more and more indoors in air conditioned rooms (assuming we can keep pace with the resulting power needs).

Ignorant people mocking what they don't understand or know is not normally anything to take seriously - except for the fact so many have been duped by it and the potential cost to us all of such immaturity is significant.

Jim

*CO2 etc levels continue to rise year over year, which means we have not reached any sort of equilibrium nor will we in the foreseeable future.
                Methane is also on the rise, which is a far more powerful GHG than CO2. And while we don't fully understand that, methane can be released as a consequence of warming from permafrost. So warming begets more warming.
                And this is why I oppose any such policy change - you spent more time attacking me than the argument. Also, the article used quotes that DO NOT say what you say they mean.

You aren't proving the case - you're making it look like a hoax!
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Psalm 46:6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
                  Psalm 97:5 The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth.
                  “For behold, the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble. The day that is coming shall set them ablaze, says the Lord of hosts, so that it will leave them neither root nor branch.
                  Malachi 4:1.

“While the earth remains,
                  Seedtime and harvest,
                  And cold and heat,
                  And summer and winter,
                  And day and night
                  Shall not cease.”

Genesis 8:22

And that verse in Genesis tells me that GOD will keep the earth until HE chooses to destroy it. The puniness of man's efforts will not do a single thing to change the condition of the earth because God is sovereign over it and He will decide when it shall be destroyed.
                  And you can read about that in other scriptures.
                  Last edited by mossrose; 07-30-2019, 01:21 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    The puniness of man's efforts will not do a single thing to change the condition of the earth because a God is sovereign over it and He will decide when it shall be destroyed.
                    And you can read about that in other scriptures.

People should worry more about their immortal soul, than their temporal physical existence. "For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, but lose his very soul..."
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

People should worry more about their immortal soul, than their temporal physical existence. "For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, but lose his very soul..."

But Satan deceives the unbelievers into thinking that this life is all there is. After all, if this is your best life now (thanks for that piece of junk, Joel Osteen), this earth is all you have. So let's make the earth a god and worship it.

Comment

I agree with what you say. I do, however, certainly not agree with mossrose's idea, and I do not see my idea of an immortal soul as any excuse to not care about the conditions I ask other human beings to live under.
                        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
                          What was your source?
                          Click on the blue link JimB

Comment

Does a Christian think?; God wouldn’t do this to us, so it cannot be happening.
                            You'd have to find that particular Christian and ask them.

Comment

And "more about" does not equal "instead of".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                And "more about" does not equal "instead of".
                                True, but one is WAY more important...

Comment