Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another One Bites The Dust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    How would you define a "wrong and harmful view"?
    Wrong meaning factually incorrect or fighting against current scientific knowledge.

Harmful meaning having no value and hurting others.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Ah, so all you have to do is declare a view "wrong and harmful", then you're free to destroy their lives and careers.
    Decent people tend to not want to associate with bad people.

Yeah, instead of tolerating the fact that my executive assistant was a liberal atheist lesbian Jew, I should have just fired her because her anti-Christmas views were harmful to our company's annual Christmas Party.
    Were they?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      Wrong meaning factually incorrect or fighting against current scientific knowledge.

So...firing somebody over their personal convictions wouldn't qualify as "hurting others" how?
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

So...firing somebody over their personal convictions wouldn't qualify as "hurting others" how?
        Firing someone for incompetence would qualify as hurting others. My definitions are a package deal.

Comment

Right.

So since atheism is a view that is factually incorrect, of no value, and harmful to other people if you're arguing for it, given that those who hold to it end up in hell, does that mean I can be intolerant of prozelytizing atheists?

Oh right, you probably only meant views that you and your ilk consider wrong and harmful.

Comment

Firing someone for incompetence would qualify as hurting others. My definitions are a package deal.
            Ah, so Christian beliefs are "factually incorrect or fighting against current scientific knowledge"? If this is true, then am I correct in assuming that you support discrimination on the basis of personal religious beliefs in general?

You appear to be using the phrase "hurting others" extremely selectively.

Comment

Were they?
              Absolutely. But I chose to tolerate her. Because I believe in tolerance, not just PRETENDING to be tolerant so I can whoop up on those who don't agree with me.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

On a completely different note, it's "bites" the dust, not "bits" the dust.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                  And, THIS time it wasn't ME who typed the Title!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Right.

So since atheism is a view that is factually incorrect, of no value, and harmful to other people if you're arguing for it, given that those who hold to it end up in hell, does that mean I can be intolerant of prozelytizing atheists?

Oh right, you probably only meant views that you and your ilk consider wrong and harmful.
                    Not my ilk. Just me.

Ah, so Christian beliefs are "factually incorrect or fighting against current scientific knowledge"? If this is true, then am I correct in assuming that you support discrimination on the basis of personal religious beliefs in general?

You appear to be using the phrase "hurting others" extremely selectively.
                    Package deal. What about Christian beliefs has no value and harms others?

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Absolutely. But I chose to tolerate her. Because I believe in tolerance, not just PRETENDING to be tolerant so I can whoop up on those who don't agree with me.
                    I want people to disagree with me. I don't want people to hate homosexuals.

Comment

Yes, I saw that - but I couldn't go back and change the title.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Who said all Christians HATED homosexuality? We don't hate people that have sex with many different people in one year. Sexual sin shouldn't be considered so much worse than every other sin! Seriously, I agree that people shouldn't beat up some one or kill them just because they're attracted to their own gender! And we believe that all have sinned, so we're saying that we are sinners also! So, every human on the planet should be "offended" at the fact we are sinners?!
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Package deal. What about Christian beliefs has no value and harms others?
                          Ok, now I'm confused. I thought that's what you were saying. Could you clarify, then, why the firing of the folks in the OP doesn't classify as "hurting others"?

Comment

I don't see any problem with intolerance towards wrong and harmful views. If people see these firings as an injustice, then maybe we can finally start butchering liberals.
                            fixed
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Ok, now I'm confused. I thought that's what you were saying. Could you clarify, then, why the firing of the folks in the OP doesn't classify as "hurting others"?
                              Because it has value. Remember this exchange:

How would you define a "wrong and harmful view"?

So a wrong and harmful view, which warrants firing, would be a view that is "factually incorrect or fighting against current scientific knowledge and having no value and hurting others."

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Yes, I saw that - but I couldn't go back and change the title.
                                You're welcome
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment