Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another One Bites The Dust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, I kinda figured that'd be your attitude.
    The First Amendment concerns the government censoring citizens. Neither the OP nor my statements have anything to do with the government. I understand that when private companies decide to fire employees who espouse racist, sexist, or homophobic views many conservatives claim this is a violation of free speech rights for some reason, but I would like to think TWeb users know what the First Amendment actually says.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      The First Amendment concerns the government censoring citizens.
      It's a general principle by which most of us have lived.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My tolerance only extends as far as to those who don't actively harm others with their wrong opinions.

Probably.

Arbitrarily making certain people an out group that should be fought against is bad.

What does the First Amendment have to do with anything?

How am I being a tyrant?

I don't see how.
        Wait...what? According to you, a homosexual who opposes gay marriage (for reasons that have not been defined) "probably" hates homosexuals?

Is that what you meant to say? Because it seems...downright silly.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          Wait...what? According to you, a homosexual who opposes gay marriage (for reasons that have not been defined) "probably" hates homosexuals?

Is that what you meant to say? Because it seems...downright silly.
          Members of a minority are capable of self or group loathing.

Comment

Members of a minority are capable of self or group loathing.
            So you really think that anyone who opposes gay marriage hates homosexuals? Before you've even heard them state their reasons for it?
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Umm... how does one being against gay marriage mean that one hates homosexuals? Can't they just call it something other than marriage, like a civil union? And still get the next of kin benefits.
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Umm... how does one being against gay marriage mean that one hates homosexuals? Can't they just call it something other than marriage, like a civil union? And still get the next of kin benefits.
                I am not in favor of gay marriage, but don't hate homosexuals in the least.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  So you really think that anyone who opposes gay marriage hates homosexuals? Before you've even heard them state their reasons for it?
                  From my experience, I think it's probable. If you want to fiddle with tone, that's diverting from the point. Maybe it's not hate but self-centered apathy or disgust or some other emotion.

Why call it something other than marriage?

Comment

Because traditional marriage has "baggage" from a Christian Worldview. We just don't like being made to celebrate homosexuality.

Comment

Because traditional marriage has "baggage" from a Christian Worldview. We just don't like being made to celebrate homosexuality.
                      That's funny.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I don't think an appeal to tradition or an appeal to religion should be bases for law.

Comment

I don't think an appeal to tradition or an appeal to religion should be bases for law.
                          You may have a point. As long as pastors aren't forced to wed same sex couples if they don't want too. Really, I don't care. If they haven't signed on the coventant, then why bother making them stick to the same rules?

Comment

You may have a point. As long as pastors aren't forced to wed same sex couples if they don't want too. Really, I don't care. If they haven't signed on the coventant, then why bother making them stick to the same rules?
                            I don't think the proponents of gay marriage are going to be happy until they force Pastors to perform weddings, or quit being pastors. There's just a feel of "you can't stop us now", as we're seeing advanced here on Tweb.

Comment

I don't think the proponents of gay marriage are going to be happy until they force Pastors to perform weddings, or quit being pastors. There's just a feel of "you can't stop us now", as we're seeing advanced here on Tweb.
                              Seriously? It's a lifestyle choice that impacts one private area, not something like race and gender! It just means the pastor or whoever doesn't get the same sex couple's business.

Comment

What, exactly, have you seen that suggests proponents will go that far overboard? The marriage equality movement is certainly picking up steam and should continue to gain support, but I've never seen anyone argue that pastors should be forced to perform weddings.
                                Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment