Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another One Bites The Dust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    Where in the Constitution, I meant.
    The Constitution isn't the only thing the founding fathers wrote. Limits upon marriage didn't seem to catch them as being 'unconstitutional'.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      The Constitution isn't the only thing the founding fathers wrote. Limits upon marriage didn't seem to catch them as being 'unconstitutional'.
      Neither did slavery.

Comment

Neither did slavery.
        And it wasn't, until an amendment came along. That is how it used to be done. That and laws were changed as times changed. Today though, it seems just saying that the constitution says something, that it clearly didn't, is the way to go.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And it wasn't, until an amendment came along. That is how it used to be done. That and laws were changed as times changed. Today though, it seems just saying that the constitution says something, that it clearly didn't, is the way to go.
          Many people feel that the 14th Amendment allows for gay marriage.

Comment

Many more people believe that it does not, and they're statistically blacker than the people who do, so you lose.

Comment

And they would be at a loss to explain how the same people who wrote it, also kept laws in the books that made homosexuality illegal. Of course, I know the real reason is that we just make the constitution say whatever we want it to say and totally ignore the general rules of interpretation that apply to everything else. If you want to make gay marriage legal, that is fine and you do have the right, per the constitution, to petition the government for changes you want and the free speech to do it with. It is just silly though to make the constitution say whatever you want it to say though. By that logic, laws against incest and polygamy shouldn't exist either, but they reason they do is because popular opinion hasn't changed against these two views yet.
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And they would be at a loss to explain how the same people who wrote it, also kept laws in the books that made homosexuality illegal. Of course, I know the real reason is that we just make the constitution say whatever we want it to say and totally ignore the general rules of interpretation that apply to everything else. If you want to make gay marriage legal, that is fine and you do have the right, per the constitution, to petition the government for changes you want and the free speech to do it with. It is just silly though to make the constitution say whatever you want it to say though. By that logic, laws against incest and polygamy shouldn't exist either, but they reason they do is because popular opinion hasn't changed against these two views yet.
                So would you be opposed, for example, to applying any current Constitutional Amendments to the internet or computers? What about applying more than half of the Amendments to airplanes? Does the First Amendment not apply to black people because that's not what the founders had in mind? My point is there is nothing wrong with looking to the Constitution and applying it to new legal dilemmas. It makes no sense to not use old law as precedence. It doesn't legally matter what people want when they write it law. What matters is what the laws actually say.

Comment