Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Death Penalty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Penalty?

Would anyone mind applying the death penalty to Abubakar Shekau, via a drone or Navy Seals - without a trial?

The U.S. put a price on the head of the ruthless leader of Nigeria’s Boko Haram long before he masterminded the kidnappings of hundreds of schoolgirls, but American forces are now poised to help hunt the shadowy warlord said to have a photographic memory.

Abubakar Shekau, who drew international ire and scorn after vowing to sell young Christian girls "in the marketplace," could soon be the subject of a multi-national manhunt involving U.S. military and law enforcement agents. But the hunt for the leader of the Islamic terror group Boko Haram, which loosely means “Western education is forbidden,” will be complicated by Shekau's well-documented resourcefulness - and low profile.
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/05...ubakar-shekau/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Not I.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Not I.

I wonder about our more liberal friends...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Please feel free to go after him shot on site is preferable to a speedy trial
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The terms "death penalty" and "capital punishment" are rather misleading. They generally refer to procedures ordered after the conclusion of a trial, so almost by definition, this wouldn't be an execution so much as it would be a military act. Though I do tend to oppose the death penalty, I am not a pacifist and there would be clear, justifiable human rights benefits that could justify a military excursion such as this (as was the case with bin Laden), so I would say that killing him would be justifiable, and I don't feel my position is inconsistent. Obviously, if they could capture him alive, that would be okay too, but we know realistically that probably isn't realistic.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think all human life is valuable and nobody should have to die unless it's a case of direct self defense.

Comment

Abubakar Shekau has thrown away his value as a human being in my opinion.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Would anyone mind applying the death penalty to Abubakar Shekau, via a drone or Navy Seals - without a trial?

You Americans think you can disregard a country's sovereignty anytime you like - like you did when you killed Osama, and now you want to do it again?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Technically speaking that wouldn't be a death penalty, as he isn't being penalised as a citizen. There's no trial, and there's no jury. He is a threat, a terrorist, and if the right officials judge him to be sufficiently dangerous the military can be sent against him. However that's a different thing.

The military isn't the police, and they should never, ever, be mistaken as that.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post

You Americans think you can disregard a country's sovereignty anytime you like - like you did when you killed Osama, and now you want to do it again?
                    Pretty much, yeah. Perhaps it is a special form of arrogance, but ultimately the sentiment has to do with Americans' sense of justice. Many (myself included) believe that people like Shekau should not be allowed to continue terrorizing innocent people -- and we're (sometimes) willing to upset people's sense of sovereignty when they're too indifferent, or incompetent, to take care of the problem themselves.
                    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                      Pretty much, yeah. Perhaps it is a special form of arrogance, but ultimately the sentiment has to do with Americans' sense of justice. Many (myself included) believe that people like Shekau should not be allowed to continue terrorizing innocent people -- and we're (sometimes) willing to upset people's sense of sovereignty when they're too indifferent, or incompetent, to take care of the problem themselves.
                      Right, by ignoring sovereignty when you see fit you're setting up terrible precedents to meet your short-term goals.

Comment

A man may deserve to die, but it doesn't imply that all means are then justified by the ends, nor that all means are wise ways of reaching that end.

I highly doubt your country will go after Shekau the way it did Osama. The campaign against Osama was driven by a great deal of hatred and desire for revenge, whereas Shekau hasn't done much, if anything to citizens of USA.

Comment

No, I would think MOST of us do not believe we can "disregard a country's sovereignty anytime you like"... special circumstances notwithstanding.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            The terms "death penalty" and "capital punishment" are rather misleading. They generally refer to procedures ordered after the conclusion of a trial, so almost by definition, this wouldn't be an execution so much as it would be a military act.
                            Yes I know, it was more of a play on words - but the end is the same, the death of an individual.

Comment

Actually I think the government of Nigeria has invited us in.

Comment