// Required code

Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jim Acosta has 'never witnessed' news outlets trying 'to damage one particular party'

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    You don't appear to be reasoning well at this moment. Trump lies so often that anyone reporting the truth will have to confront a lie of Trumps.

    This simple fact does not in anyone's universe equate to 'there isn't a single nice or good thing ever to be said about Trump'.

    It just means he lies so much that anyone reporting the truth is bound to bump up against it and be required to call him on it. That forces the relationship to be adversarial.

    Jim
    And yet, these oh so honest media types found themselves at a loss for negative things to say about Trump when he was in Japan one time, that they had to air a doctored video to make him look bad, and gave an entirely fake write-up to support a negative news-story. It isn't the only time that they were caught out - just one so obviously egregious example of how far they are willing to go to undermine Trump that their credibility is dust. Until the Koi-feeding affair, I had my doubts about the impartiality of reporting - since then, I have had none. The blatant lies said about him become ever more blatant as the media becomes ever more desperate - and irrelevant.
    sigpic1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      And yet, these oh so honest media types found themselves at a loss for negative things to say about Trump when he was in Japan one time, that they had to air a doctored video to make him look bad, and gave an entirely fake write-up to support a negative news-story. It isn't the only time that they were caught out - just one so obviously egregious example of how far they are willing to go to undermine Trump that their credibility is dust. Until the Koi-feeding affair, I had my doubts about the impartiality of reporting - since then, I have had none. The blatant lies said about him become ever more blatant as the media becomes ever more desperate - and irrelevant.
      Never said they were 'oh so honest'. I said that trump presents a situation where no legitimate journalist is going to be able to avoid an adversarial relationship because their job is to report the truth.

      Jim
      He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

      "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Never said they were 'oh so honest'. I said that trump presents a situation where no legitimate journalist is going to be able to avoid an adversarial relationship because their job is to report the truth.

        Jim
        And of course, reporting the truth includes doctoring video to make sure that they can cast him in a negative light and have something to criticise him for. Also to declare that he supports ultra-right groups because he expresses disfavour for ultra-left and ultra-right in equal measure, and in the same sentence.
        sigpic1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          Never said they were 'oh so honest'. I said that trump presents a situation where no legitimate journalist is going to be able to avoid an adversarial relationship because their job is to report the truth.

          Jim
          The media is so darn honest that they:

          - edited a 911 call to leave out the 911 operator asking for race to make the caller seem like a racist than referred to the same man, who was Latino, as ‘a white Latino’.
          - published a fake rape story that got a bunch of innocent men in trouble that basic fact checking would have destroyed.
          - spent years perusing a fake story about the Trump campaign working with the Russians.
          - presented a false narrative about a black kid, shot by police, that painted the officer as a racist.
          - published a poorly researched story about Trump that lacked basic fact checking.
          - lied about a bunch of teens in an attempt to paint them as racist because they were wearing a Trump hat. Than sent the outrage internet mob after them based on doctored videos and lies.
          - gave hundreds of hours of air time to a con artist lawyer that swindled millions of dollars from his clients.
          - protected a serial sexual assaulter, among their ranks, for years.

          This is just a tiny sample of the reality that the media is filled with a bunch of con artist, living in glass houses, casting stones. While Trump isn’t the most honest person ever, the media is no better. Difference is, you don’t care if the media lies to you all the time.
          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 06-14-2019, 08:06 AM.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            And yet, these oh so honest media types found themselves at a loss for negative things to say about Trump when he was in Japan one time, that they had to air a doctored video to make him look bad, and gave an entirely fake write-up to support a negative news-story. It isn't the only time that they were caught out - just one so obviously egregious example of how far they are willing to go to undermine Trump that their credibility is dust. Until the Koi-feeding affair, I had my doubts about the impartiality of reporting - since then, I have had none. The blatant lies said about him become ever more blatant as the media becomes ever more desperate - and irrelevant.
            And on the flip side, why did we so rarely see critical reporting of Obama even when it was warranted?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God


            From "Fools Gold" by Petra

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              And on the flip side, why did we so rarely see critical reporting of Obama even when it was warranted?
              A. The MSM was head over heels in love with their Obamessiah

              2: Those who weren't were afraid of being called racist[1]

              c) And for those who still had the gall to do so, Obama sicced the federal government on them.








              1. The reason that late night comics shied away from poking fun at Obama for the first two years of his Administration and instead kept telling George W. Bush jokes.

              I'm always still in trouble again

              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                Sorry - no deal. And I disagree that the MSM 'has been targeting him for 3 years'. Rather, Trump has continuously engaged in negative, lying behavior that has to be covered and exposed for what it is. The press is required to report the truth. Since trump lies about almost everything, they are forced to report the truth behind what he is lying about. There really is no other way to cover trump than in an adversarial way. He's a messenger of falsehoods and deception and he wants everyone around him to go along with those lies and deceptions. What else can they do?


                Jim
                I don't see why it has to be an either/or. I think that Trump continuously says dumb things, and lies a lot (most of which are based in braggadocio and saving face), but that the media also exaggerates their claims about him. I hate that, because as much as I don't care for him, I'd rather that the media simply be honest. There's plenty to dislike about him or his policies without making stuff up. I listen to NPR pretty regularly, and they absolutely can't not put the worst spin on everything he says whether it's deserved or not. Just be freaking objective. Is that so hard? But the news is more and more about preaching to the choir, and telling their demographic what they want to hear rather than reporting the news unbiased and fairly.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  I don't see why it has to be an either/or. I think that Trump continuously says dumb things, and lies a lot (most of which are based in braggadocio and saving face), but that the media also exaggerates their claims about him. I hate that, because as much as I don't care for him, I'd rather that the media simply be honest. There's plenty to dislike about him or his policies without making stuff up. I listen to NPR pretty regularly, and they absolutely can't not put the worst spin on everything he says whether it's deserved or not. Just be freaking objective. Is that so hard? But the news is more and more about preaching to the choir, and telling their demographic what they want to hear rather than reporting the news unbiased and fairly.
                  This has always annoyed me --- when your opponent or target has enough faults of his own, why go overboard and exaggerate and obfuscate? Why not just lay out the facts calmly and plainly? That's when the "bias" becomes so incredibly clear - when you have to go way beyond the facts to make whatever case you're trying to make.
                  "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    A lot of media these days is "news and commentary" with a heavy emphasis on the latter. I don't need anyone to "analyze" the news for me. Just report the straight facts and let me figure it out on my own!
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God


                    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      A lot of media these days is "news and commentary" with a heavy emphasis on the latter. I don't need anyone to "analyze" the news for me. Just report the straight facts and let me figure it out on my own!
                      There used to be at least a hint of 'balance' when a news reporter would attempt to get "both sides".

                      Then, particularly in matters regarding religion, it seemed they'd find a very articulate spokesperson for the "against" side, and the most inarticulate ignorant "Christian" for the "for" side.

                      Now, they just make things up! Who was it who said, recently, that all pretense of fairness had to go*?





                      *my own dear brudder will be along shortly to provide the answer to this gripping question
                      Last edited by Cow Poke; 06-14-2019, 09:46 AM.
                      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        A lot of media these days is "news and commentary" with a heavy emphasis on the latter. I don't need anyone to "analyze" the news for me. Just report the straight facts and let me figure it out on my own!
                        Yeah, but even without commentary, it's often selective so that a narrative is structured to the biases of the demographic. And that's true whether it's about politics or about the latest murder/kidnapping type story. And then, when they get an outsider to come in to give some perspective, it's either someone from their own camp, or someone from the other camp who has a hard time stringing two sentences together without sounding like a complete lunatic. It's just so dishonest. I know it's nothing new, but it's irritating. If I listen to the news, I try to get a least three sources before I determine I know the truth. That means listening to NPR in the morning, watching Fox News while at the gym, and then reading the Associated Press or the Christian Science Monitor to just get the plainer facts if possible. I then hope that the truth is somewhere in the middle of that mess, but often its hard to tell, especially when news organizations are more interested in reporting the story first rather than accurately.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          ...I then hope that the truth is somewhere in the middle of that mess, but often its hard to tell, especially when news organizations are more interested in reporting the story first rather than accurately.
                          And I get SO tired of "our reporters were first on the scene" or "Channel 11 EXCLUSIVELY covers this story" or, worse, "the tease".... "A Houston man is in jail following a triple homicide.... find out why when we return...."

                          Or worse... the breathless 24/7 news cycle that has reporters "on the scene" breathlessly speculating in the absence of fact, while saying stupid stuff like, "Now, we don't want to speculate, but....."

                          It's all about ratings. I recently read an article where it was revealed that it used to be an accepted fact that the "news" was a necessary expense, and actually a loss to the network, until somebody figured out how to monetize it.
                          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            And I get SO tired of "our reporters were first on the scene" or "Channel 11 EXCLUSIVELY covers this story" or, worse, "the tease".... "A Houston man is in jail following a triple homicide.... find out why when we return...."

                            Or worse... the breathless 24/7 news cycle that has reporters "on the scene" breathlessly speculating in the absence of fact, while saying stupid stuff like, "Now, we don't want to speculate, but....."

                            It's all about ratings. I recently read an article where it was revealed that it used to be an accepted fact that the "news" was a necessary expense, and actually a loss to the network, until somebody figured out how to monetize it.
                            Yep. I don't think that the news has ever been bias-free, but 40 years ago we got a much fuller story simply because it took so long to get the news to the audience. That, by itself, cut down a lot of the nonsense speculation, and goof-ball half truths. Getting the news out there before all the facts come in means that the narrative can be controlled, and people usually only care about the news as it breaks, not once all the facts come in. But there's no way of reversing the current trend.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              Yep. I don't think that the news has ever been bias-free, but 40 years ago we got a much fuller story simply because it took so long to get the news to the audience. That, by itself, cut down a lot of the nonsense speculation, and goof-ball half truths. Getting the news out there before all the facts come in means that the narrative can be controlled, and people usually only care about the news as it breaks, not once all the facts come in. But there's no way of reversing the current trend.
                              That's an excellent point -- because they had only a certain window of "news", shared with weather and sports, they had to be concise and "to the point". Also, there used to be a degree of pride in being a "journalist". Now, ANYBODY can be a "journalist" just by blogging.
                              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                No. I'm saying it's the press' job to report the truth. Any one reporting the truth and interacting with trump will appear to be in an adversarial relationship with Donald Trump. Because the Truth itself is in an adversarial relationship with Donald Trump. Just look at the number of advisers and cabinet members that have left on bad terms with trump because they would not cross a line on what it true verses what trump wanted to hear!

                                And that is what Acosta is saying. The apparent hostility that you rally around is nothing more than what happens when the truth meets Donald Trump. They are mortal enemies.

                                Jim
                                So*, even if they are telling the "truth" they are still spending all of their time on Trump and they are being adversarial with him, mocking him, calling for impeachment, etc. Exactly what Acosta is saying they are NOT doing.


                                *You realize that no matter what you say, I am going to interpret it as you agreeing with me, right?

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seanD, Yesterday, 07:54 PM
                                6 responses
                                70 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Raphael
                                by Raphael
                                 
                                Started by Sparko, 09-29-2020, 02:32 PM
                                126 responses
                                863 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post shunyadragon  
                                Started by Juvenal, 09-29-2020, 09:54 AM
                                14 responses
                                132 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by seer, 09-29-2020, 09:50 AM
                                45 responses
                                376 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post firstfloor  
                                Started by seer, 09-28-2020, 05:35 PM
                                31 responses
                                250 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post mikewhitney  
                                Working...
                                X