Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Argument against "Kill the fetus": Libertarian Walter Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    That is a fairly obvious misrepresentation of the issue so I hope you don’t mind if I ignore it.
    You seem to put the blame of the actions on the father onto the child and thinking that if the father is a rapist then the baby somehow doesn't deserve to live. My scenario was the same. So I guess we can go around and kill the children of any criminal with impunity, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      You seem to put the blame of the actions on the father onto the child and thinking that if the father is a rapist then the baby somehow doesn't deserve to live. My scenario was the same. So I guess we can go around and kill the children of any criminal with impunity, eh?
      Maybe FF's father wasn't the best?
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I am just challenging the assumption that there is an easy answer to the rape situation and you will not understand the issues until you put yourself in the victim’s situation.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I am just challenging the assumption that there is an easy answer to the rape situation and you will not understand the issues until you put yourself in the victim’s situation.
          Liberals, most of whom are pseudo-sociopaths with no soul or genuine empathy like to imagine everybody else is just like them, so they need to explicitly prod you to "put yourself in the victim's situation" because any strong stance someone might take that is in contradiction to progressive doctrine can only come about from lack of humanity, like it does for them.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

The child is the victim too, FF. That is what you are forgetting.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              Liberals, most of whom are pseudo-sociopaths with no soul or genuine empathy like to imagine everybody else is just like them, so they need to explicitly prod you to "put yourself in the victim's situation" because any strong stance someone might take that is in contradiction to progressive doctrine can only come about from lack of humanity, like it does for them.
              That’s just avoiding the question. Strong opinions are so much bluster until they are tested in a real situation. For that reason, if it’s not my problem, I prefer to see it tackled by those whose problem it is and not by pundits for political and especially not religious reasons.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

That’s just avoiding the question. Strong opinions are so much bluster until they are tested in a real situation. For that reason, if it’s not my problem, I prefer to see it tackled by those whose problem it is and not by pundits for political and especially not religious reasons.
                Then stop giving us your unwanted opinions, you hypocrite.

Comment

Then stop giving us your unwanted opinions, you hypocrite.
                  If you had been following the discussion a bit closer you would see that I had not given my opinion. Consequently I cannot be hypocritical on this issue. What I am explaining to you is that none of us are qualified to judge the matter.

Comment

That’s just avoiding the question.
                    I already answered your question so I dunno how you can claim this with a straight face.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

If you had been following the discussion a bit closer you would see that I had not given my opinion. Consequently I cannot be hypocritical on this issue. What I am explaining to you is that none of us are qualified to judge the matter.
                      That IS your opinion, dumbass.

Comment

Could we abort the rapist? I.e. kill him the same way aborted fetuses are.

Comment

Though, that would be cruel and unusual punishment. How about for those that brutally tortured, raped, and murdered children?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Also, (in almost every case), the fetus was an invited guest.
                            Perhaps for the sake of my understanding you should explain.
                            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              I'm more and more thinking that my attempt in my earlier post to try to reason with Block's logic on his own terms is likely to fail.
                              "Earlier post"
                              The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                                Perhaps for the sake of my understanding you should explain.
                                If a lady invites male genitalia into her female genitalia, the sperm will, unless blocked by contraceptive measures, travel to the fallopian tubes, where if there is an ovum, the sperm will try to be the lucky gamete to fertilize the ovum. The resulting zygote travels down the fallopian tube to implant in the uterine lining. Did no one ever explain to you how sex can result in a baby? Or STI? Use contraception people, or abstain.

Comment