Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Russia seeking to stamp out profanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia seeking to stamp out profanity

"Determination of what counts as profane language will be done through "an independent examination," the news agency said."

Let me guess... anything remotely critical of Putin will be deemed "profane".

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/06/world/...tml?hpt=hp_bn2
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Yep...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I bet they got word that Mossy says "poop".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Source: Putin Embraces Conservatism With Cursing Ban in Movies, Theater

The Institute of Russian Language at the Russian Academy of Sciences last year complied a list of four words that constitute swearing: “two depict male and female reproductive organs, one describes the process of copulation and the last refers to a promiscuous woman,” the Moscow Times said yesterday.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I wonder if one of the targets of the bill might be a certain feminist anti-Putin band, several members of which were prosecuted for "hooliganism" after producing a music video called "Punk Prayer - Mother of God, Chase Putin Away!"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I bet they got word that Mossy says "poop".
          Would that be "Poopski" in Russian?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Would that be "Poopski" in Russian?
            Yeah, but I was afraid they'd "bot" that, and track me down and fine me.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Institute of Russian Language at the Russian Academy of Sciences last year complied a list of four words that constitute swearing: “two depict male and female reproductive organs, one describes the process of copulation and the last refers to a promiscuous woman,” the Moscow Times said yesterday.

Source

I wonder if one of the targets of the bill might be a certain feminist anti-Putin band, several members of which were prosecuted for "hooliganism" after producing a music video called "Punk Prayer - Mother of God, Chase Putin Away!"
              IIRC the video is considered blasphemous and the church where they recorded the video wasn't too happy about it.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Source

Why is hooliganism in quotation marks?
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Why is hooliganism in quotation marks?
                  Because Russia has a long history of charging political dissenters with it.

Source: Online Etymology Dictionary

Internationalized 20c. in communist rhetoric as Russian khuligan, opprobrium for "scofflaws, political dissenters, etc."

Source

Another explanation from GlobalPost:

Source: How Russia can tell you're a hooligan

Malynne Sternstein, associate professor of Slavic Studies at the University of Chicago, told GlobalPost that "hooliganism" is defined in the penal codes of the Soviet republics as "any deliberate behavior that violates public order and expresses explicit disrespect toward society."

Translation: If Russia perceives you as defiant in the face of authority, you are most likely a hooligan.

But Sternstein says there's a bit more to it than that.

"Hooliganism" is akin to "art activism," she says. Both contain an element of performance.

"Hooliganism," is "any act perpetrated against the state and on the very face of the state," she said.

Comment

Because Russia has a long history of charging political dissenters with it.

Source: Online Etymology Dictionary

Internationalized 20c. in communist rhetoric as Russian khuligan, opprobrium for "scofflaws, political dissenters, etc."

Source

Another explanation from GlobalPost:

Source: How Russia can tell you're a hooligan

Malynne Sternstein, associate professor of Slavic Studies at the University of Chicago, told GlobalPost that "hooliganism" is defined in the penal codes of the Soviet republics as "any deliberate behavior that violates public order and expresses explicit disrespect toward society."

Translation: If Russia perceives you as defiant in the face of authority, you are most likely a hooligan.

But Sternstein says there's a bit more to it than that.

"Hooliganism" is akin to "art activism," she says. Both contain an element of performance.

"Hooliganism," is "any act perpetrated against the state and on the very face of the state," she said.

But in this case it actually WAS hooliganism.

Plus, hooliganism was just a cover. The real reason they were imprisoned was because they caused international embarrassment.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      But in this case it actually WAS hooliganism.

Plus, hooliganism was just a cover. The real reason they were imprisoned was because they caused international embarrassment.
                      They embarrassed Putin hence the charges. My point is that Russia has long used the charge of hooliganism as a way of crushing dissent regardless of whether those charged were breaking legitimate laws or not.

Comment

They embarrassed Putin hence the charges. My point is that Russia has long used the charge of hooliganism as a way of crushing dissent regardless of whether those charged were breaking legitimate laws or not.
                        "An embarrassment to Mother Russia" is still a giant step up from "An Enemy of the People."

Comment