Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Backlash Over Proposed ‘Straight Pride’ Parade In Boston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    They get a free pass to victimise others because they get to play the victim card?

Do people who have been victimised by them also get a free pass to victimise them because they too get to play the victim card? Or is that privilege restricted?

The outcome has been demonstrated often enough in history - there comes a time of back-lash.
    Interesting. I most certainly did not even hint at the idea of a 'free pass'. What I am pointing out is that there is no equality between the amount of persecution and hatred the baker has dealt with and perceived and the amount of persecution and hatred that a typical gay person has experienced. Why did I do that? Because the post I responded to tried to equate them.

Why are you hostile to and offended by that point?

Gay people endure the disdain of most of the people around them their entire lives. And sometimes they are physically attacked simply because they are gay. Have you not seen the news item about the gay female couple brutally attacked riding on the top of a bus in London?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/201...und-the-world/

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-09-2019, 04:13 PM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Jim, when God had gays executed in the Old Testament, was that just or unjust?
      I have no idea. I struggle with that one. Just as I struggle with the death of Jeptha's daughter as payment for an oath. There are a whole host of things in the OT that most of us would condemn if they occurred today. In fact, most of those violent acts that happened ostensibly at God's direction we would go to war with if they were Muslims who did it today. And if they told us it was God that told them to do it, we would tell them they were listening to the devil.

There is a great deal about the OT that can't be understood as applying to the world today, as applying to life under the new covenant in Christ. In Christ, God has given us forgiveness, and not just forgiveness, we no longer live under the law. We are freed from it's obligations and its curse and given a new life in Christ with an obligation to God and righteousness that is not earned or derived from following a list of do's and don'ts.

So just as I can't reconcile accepting homo-sexual acts themselves as moral with what the scriptures teach about sexual morality, I also can't reconcile retribution aimed at gays in light of Christ who NEVER spoke direct condemnation to any 'sinner' (as a religious person would define it) that came to Him. But who did in fact rebuke over and over again those that thought of themselves as righteous and who were quick to cast condemnation on those 'sinners' over there and the Christ that would dare to sup with them.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Interesting. I most certainly did not even hint at the idea of a 'free pass'. What I am pointing out is that there is no equality between the amount of persecution and hatred the baker has dealt with and perceived and the amount of persecution and hatred that a typical gay person has experienced. Why did I do that? Because the post I responded to tried to equate them.
        I thought your argument was that any persecution was unacceptable.

Why are you hostile to and offended by that point?
        Maybe because I've seen too many people intimidated, threatened, assaulted by people who play the victim card as justification for their actions.

Gay people endure the disdain of most of the people around them their entire lives.
        Perhaps if you had said "Some gay people ... some of the people they encounter." Maybe even "a scant few gay people endure ..."

And often that are physically attacked.
        People don't have to be gay to be victims of hate crimes - sometimes they only have to be wearing the wrong hat.

Have you not seen the news item about the gay female couple brutally attacked riding on the top of a bus in London?
        No - I hadn't seen that. London news doesn't get a lot of attention here. Interesting that no details about the offenders have been released though.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Exactly. Utilizing that sort of logic means that it is now okay to victimize the original victims again because they are now the ones doing the victimizing. It is a never-ending vicious cycle.
          This is a very odd reaction to my post rogue. I'm not giving anyone permission for them to do evil because evil was done to them. I'm saying you can't equate what the baker has suffered with what most gays suffer over the course of their lives in terms of hatred and persecution. I've seen it first hand. The hatred that they endure is pure evil. No born again Christian following God can suffer such hatred for others in their hearts for long. We are called to mercy and love and grace. We may believe homo-sexual acts are wrong, but if we follow Christ we can't hate gays like that. But a lot of straight people have and do, and many gays endure that hatred every day and for their entire life.

Jim

Comment

I thought your argument was that any persecution was unacceptable.
            That is my argument. I don't have to give a person the right to hate to understand why they would be motivated to hate.

Maybe because I've seen too many people intimidated, threatened, assaulted by people who play the victim card as justification for their actions.
            If a person is a victim of hate, but for the grace of God they will often learn to hate as well, and they have been taught by the people that hated them. A victimized people are going to develop hatred. And the people doing the victimizing carry some of the responsibility for that hatred.

This is, in fact, why these cycles of hatred like what we see in the middle east, or in Northern Ireland, or in countries in South Africa, are so hard to stop. Because each victim sees themselves as completely innocent, and the victimizers and complete demons. And the only thing that can stop that cycle is forgiveness and love. Otherwise the victim who does not forgive becomes the victimizer of another innocent who again can't forgive.

If we care about changing the world - we must take Jesus words about turning the other cheek and not returning evil for evil seriously.

Perhaps if you had said "Some gay people ... some of the people they encounter." Maybe even "a scant few gay people endure ..."
            This is where you show your complete ignorance of what gay people endure. It's horrible. And it is almost universal. At least, it has been.

People don't have to be gay to be victims of hate crimes - sometimes they only have to be wearing the wrong hat.
            Correct. But if you are gay and not making a serious effort to hide it, the chance you will be a victim of a hate crime of some sort is very high. Much higher than for people wearing hats.

No - I hadn't seen that. London news doesn't get a lot of attention here. Interesting that no details about the offenders have been released though.
            Well, as of that article they didn't know who they were yet. It does appear they've arrested 5 teens in connection with the attack.

Jim

Comment

If a person is a victim of hate, but for the grace of God they will often learn to hate as well, and they have been taught by the people that hated them. A victimized people are going to develop hatred. And the people doing the victimizing carry some of the responsibility for that hatred.
              Quite so. And everyone else who can be lumped into the same group along with them. Along with that, people who identify with the initial victims but have never personally known anyone who has suffered victimisation feel that they have a stake and are entitled to play the victim card when they victimise people who have never victimised anyone. That is the way of the world.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Quite so. And everyone else who can be lumped into the same group along with them. Along with that, people who identify with the initial victims but have never personally known anyone who has suffered victimisation feel that they have a stake and are entitled to play the victim card when they victimise people who have never victimised anyone. That is the way of the world.
                It is impossible to dismiss the moral reality of what I am talking about with sarcasm. Can you just try to be honest and thoughtful rather than dismissive?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  It's the principle of the thing. And it certainly points to the hypocrisy of those who are only interested in their own agenda and want the rest of us to accept it.
                  There should have been no need for a ‘Gay Pride’ events, just as there should have been no need for MLK’s Civil Rights Movement or the Suffragette protests. But sadly, these things were necessary to focus public attention on social inequality. Not a problem for ‘Straights’ I would have thought.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    There should have been no need for a ‘Gay Pride’ events, just as there should have been no need for MLK’s Civil Rights Movement or the Suffragette protests.
                    Since you're trying to draw a comparison between the civil rights marches and "Gay Pride" events, perhaps you could shed some light on why the "Gay Pride" events draw people who 'march' naked, or half naked, or dressed like sex objects (including BSDM), and appear to be flaunting what moral reprobates they are, as opposed to the civil rights marches where we see respectable people acting respectably?

But sadly, these things were necessary to focus public attention on social inequality.
                    So, how does marching down the street in a vagina suit, or nearly naked with an 'extension' on your penis, or appearing in BSDM attire focus public attention on 'social inequality'?

Not a problem for ‘Straights’ I would have thought.
                    Certainly nothing that compels us to want to appear in public appearing to champion moral depravity.

gay 1.jpggay 2.jpeggay 4.jpeg
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Since you're trying to draw a comparison between the civil rights marches and "Gay Pride" events, perhaps you could shed some light on why the "Gay Pride" events draw people who 'march' naked, or half naked, or dressed like sex objects (including BSDM), and appear to be flaunting what moral reprobates they are, as opposed to the civil rights marches where we see respectable people acting respectably?
                      Ah. So, it’s not Gay Pride and what it represents to which you object, but the poor taste of the participants.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Ah.
                        Very similar to your "I see" -- an indication that you're about to shamelessly dodge the issue and say something really really birdbrained stupid.

So, it’s not Gay Pride and what it represents to which you object, but the poor taste of the participants.
                        And, there ya have it!

I'm simply asking why a "Gay Pride" event tends to bring out the worst in people. When I attended the annual meeting of the SBC in Columbus in 2015, the Gay Pride event there was focused on the FAMILIES who were attending the meeting, with signs saying things like "We can [F-Bomb] whoever we want", and lesbians exposing themselves to children, and half-naked men jiggling their privates like some kind of zoo animals, and a man and a young boy repeatedly kissing each other on the mouth in a not so "family" manner. There was the "vagina suit" lady, and several of your BSDM heroes...

If it's so normal to be "gay", why do the parades and events have to be so outlandish and 'in your face' in such a hedonistic display?
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When I attended the annual meeting of the SBC in Columbus in 2015, the Gay Pride event there was focused on the FAMILIES who were attending the meeting, with signs saying things like "We can [F-Bomb] whoever we want", and lesbians exposing themselves to children, and half-naked men jiggling their privates like some kind of zoo animals, and a man and a young boy repeatedly kissing each other on the mouth in a not so "family" manner. There was the "vagina suit" lady, and several of your BSDM heroes...

If it's so normal to be "gay", why do the parades and events have to be so outlandish and 'in your face' in such a hedonistic display?
                          Here are a couple pictures from that event -- I can't even show you some of the other stuff without being modded.

326219_columbus-pride-.jpgPride2015-MattEllis-9-620x413.jpg

How, exactly, do these things look anything like the civil rights marches? And how, exactly, do they "focus public attention on social inequality"?

Comment

I'm simply asking why a "Gay Pride" event tends to bring out the worst in people. When I attended the annual meeting of the SBC in Columbus in 2015, the Gay Pride event there was focused on the FAMILIES who were attending the meeting, with signs saying things like "We can [F-Bomb] whoever we want", and lesbians exposing themselves to children, and half-naked men jiggling their privates like some kind of zoo animals, and a man and a young boy repeatedly kissing each other on the mouth in a not so "family" manner. There was the "vagina suit" lady, and several of your BSDM heroes...
                            No, you’re not, you are judging the validity of the event by the (granted) bad taste of some of the participants. And, as you tend do, extrapolating to encompass ALL gay Pride events everywhere. Sydney, my home town, has one of the biggest Pride Parades in the world and it’s associated with fund-raising for charity and an Arts Festival. I’ve never seen or heard of the sorts of things you are suggesting to be the norm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney...ian_Mardi_Gras
                            Last edited by Tassman; 06-10-2019, 02:25 AM.

Comment

There should have been no need for a ‘Gay Pride’ events, just as there should have been no need for MLK’s Civil Rights Movement or the Suffragette protests. But sadly, these things were necessary to focus public attention on social inequality. Not a problem for ‘Straights’ I would have thought.
                              Which of these does not look like the others?

gay 1.jpggay 2.jpeggay 4.jpeg

civil rights 2.jpgcivil rights 1.jpegcivil rights 3.jpg

So, please, stop your sick idiotic attempts to equate the civil rights marches with the hedonistic garbage of the 'gay pride' events.

Comment

One was a march the other a parade. The former was about trying to effect change while the latter is all about expressing yourself.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment