Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Backlash Over Proposed ‘Straight Pride’ Parade In Boston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    Wot? No road-runners?
    They're in my back yard, as we speak, souring the pasture for scorpions, snakes, moths.....

2019-06-06 10.32.32.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Now ya dun it, laddie, pickin on me poor Irish relations, and makin fun of our heritage of drinkin' and squabblin' and wonderin through the streets with our bagpipes squeelin and howlin....
      I thought it were the Scots who had the bagpipes

And when done right it is
      anything but squeelin and howlin

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Some tunes just don't sound right without the pipes. "Amazing Grace" is one of them.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I thought it were the Scots who had the bagpipes

And when done right it is
          anything but squeelin and howlin
          Ya either LOVE bagpipes or ya hate 'em. Ever been to an Irish Police event?

(But, truth be known, our family is Scot, and there was a Scottish bagpipe player at my Dad's 80th birthday - he was dressed to the nines and played extremely well!!!!)

(the squeelin and howlin was connected to the drinkin - THAT can quite an earful)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ya either LOVE bagpipes or ya hate 'em.
            Most of the time they sound like a couple of cats trapped in a sack being beaten with a rubber hose (or at least what I imagine they would sound like), but when done right...

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Most of the time they sound like a couple of cats trapped in a sack being beaten with a rubber hose (or at least what I imagine they would sound like), but when done right...
              Which is exactly why ya either love em or hate em.

One of my favorites is the Edinburgh Military Tattoo....

Comment

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  Who is oppressed?

"You all want a straight pride parade but where's your straight stonewall?," asked another user, who added: "Where are the families throwing you out for being straight? Where are the police raiding your bars, invading your privacy, fining and locking you up for existing? You want the fun part, but can't handle the worst part."
                  - BBC
                  How about being forced to make wedding cakes, flower arrangements, for gay weddings? To cater the weddings? Then having to close down your business because of death threats? Being told by the whole world that you are a bigot for believing the bible?
                  Last edited by Sparko; 06-07-2019, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    How about being forced to make wedding cakes, flower arrangements, for gay weddings? To cater the weddings? Then having to close down your business because of death threats? Being told by the whole world that you are a bigot for believing the bible?
                    While you know I defend that bakers right not to be treated that way, over my history I have seen and in some cases experienced the sort of attacks and persecution gay people must endure, and honestly, there is no comparison here. Part of why the baker and the florist have had to endure what they have endured is because when a group of people is treated as badly as the gay community is treated, there will in fact be a subgroup out for revenge. You cant treat people like gay people are treated in general without generating a lot of hatred and fear.

Jim
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-09-2019, 08:40 AM.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I think it's a dumb idea personally. If we are serious that sexual orientation is nothing to take pride in or make a big deal about, supporting straight pride parades undermines that.
                      I saw this guy interviewed this weekend - I'm not convinced this isn't just a publicity stunt to make a point.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        While you know I defend that bakers right not to be treated that way, over my history I have seen and in some cases experienced the sort of attacks and persecution gay people must endure, and honestly, there is no comparison here. Part of why the baker and the florist have had to endure what they have endured is because when a group of people is treated as badly as the gay community is treated, there will in fact be a subgroup out for revenge. You cant treat people like gay people are treated in general without generating a lot of hatred and fear.

Jim
                        They get a free pass to victimise others because they get to play the victim card?

Do people who have been victimised by them also get a free pass to victimise them because they too get to play the victim card? Or is that privilege restricted?

The outcome has been demonstrated often enough in history - there comes a time of back-lash.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          They get a free pass to victimise others because they get to play the victim card?

Do people who have been victimised by them also get a free pass to victimise them because they too get to play the victim card? Or is that privilege restricted?

The outcome has been demonstrated often enough in history - there comes a time of back-lash.
                          Exactly. Utilizing that sort of logic means that it is now okay to victimize the original victims again because they are now the ones doing the victimizing. It is a never-ending vicious cycle.

Comment

I saw this guy interviewed this weekend - I'm not convinced this isn't just a publicity stunt to make a point.
                            FWIU this is definitely a tongue firmly planted in cheek satirical stunt. I mean they proclaim things like their straight pride blue and pink flag "has represented our community for over 0.4 years." Even the Washington Post gets the joke saying that the primary goal of the Straight Pride parade is to "poke fun at the ‘identity politics’ of the political left."

Comment

FWIU this is definitely a tongue firmly planted in cheek satirical stunt. I mean they proclaim things like their straight pride blue and pink flag "has represented our community for over 0.4 years." Even the Washington Post gets the joke saying that the primary goal of the Straight Pride parade is to "poke fun at the ‘identity politics’ of the political left."
                              Good, cause that's how I took it. I didn't catch the "0.4 years" thing.... I just saw the smirk on the guy's face when whoever (I believe it was Tucker Carlson) was interviewing him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
                                Jim, when God had gays executed in the Old Testament, was that just or unjust?
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment