Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Secular Invocations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secular Invocations?

The atheists just can't let it go. So now they want to fan out to various towns and offer secular invocations.

http://humanist-society.org/invocations/

What is a Secular Invocation?

In a way, the concept of a secular invocation is quite simple: It is essentially a short speech that calls upon the audience’s shared human values for assistance and authority in their public discourse. Unlike a traditional invocation, a secular invocation does not call upon a supernatural entity as a guide. It redirects our attention away from those supernatural entities towards those common human values that we do in fact share for guidance. It emphasizes the bounds within which our public discourse should be held, without disenfranchising certain groups. It reminds us of what is important and of our responsibilities to each other and the world around us. In a sense it is calling upon all those involved to exercise their humanity in a way that is dignified while allowing the same for others.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

It's so sad. They want a religion and God without having to believe in God. So they imitate the real thing to feel better about themselves.

Comment

Fortunately, I live in a town where they WANT a Christian invocation at meetings, and I am called upon frequently to do so, particularly at Commissioners' Court. And when somebody asks me for the first time, I always say "I don't pray from a piece of paper, and I usually end 'in Jesus' name', so be warned". And I have NEVER had anybody say "nope, that won't do". I hope it stays that way for quite some time, and it seems like there's a RENEWED INTEREST in our community leadership to guaranty it does.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        It's so sad. They want a religion and God without having to believe in God. So they imitate the real thing to feel better about themselves.
        I agree. It's almost bad as the atheist churches.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          The atheists just can't let it go. So now they want to fan out to various towns and offer secular invocations.
          http://humanist-society.org/invocations/
          As we move slowly towards a post Christian society we do want to retain the ceremonial and rites of passage nowadays usually associated with religious speech. Humanist weddings and funerals are quite fashionable here. We don’t go in for the American style industrialized, commercialized, money grubbing and rather obscene Mega-Church Christianity. Keep it human, keep it decent.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Ah I see the has made an appearance.

Comment

Ah I see the has made an appearance.
              How typically thin-skinned of you Sparko.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                How typically thin-skinned of you Sparko.
                Just calling it like it is troll. Your post was clearly meant to stir the pot with insults couched in civility, as usual.

Comment

Just calling it like it is troll. Your post was clearly meant to stir the pot with insults couched in civility, as usual.
                  At least you are kind enough to admit that I am being civil. There is nothing wrong with a little controversy if it stimulates discussion. It is a good thing because I am sure that we all want to avoid complacency.

Comment

Exactly - the Devil is never original, he can only mimic good, or do what is opposite of good.
                    Last edited by seer; 05-06-2014, 11:17 AM.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      As we move slowly towards a post Christian society we do want to retain the ceremonial and rites of passage nowadays usually associated with religious speech. Humanist weddings and funerals are quite fashionable here. We don’t go in for the American style industrialized, commercialized, money grubbing and rather obscene Mega-Church Christianity. Keep it human, keep it decent.
                      These are American post-Quaker humanists, having no connection with Britain, or none that I can discern. Read the "About" page.

Since when have you been authorised to make sweeping and insulting statements on behalf of we British.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hayward View Post
                        These are American post-Quaker humanists, having no connection with Britain, or none that I can discern. Read the "About" page.

Since when have you been authorised to make sweeping and insulting statements on behalf of we British.
                        You guys don't even speak real English!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Yes, I noticed that too...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            I don't speak english, I talk 'Merican!

Comment

Originally posted by David Hayward View Post
                              This group attracted a range of leadership well beyond their Quaker and humanist roots (1939). There was nothing insulting or sweeping about what I wrote, otherwise fair point.

Comment