Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bullying is OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
    More people not reading the article? It sounds like one idiot did one dumb thing and now we get to broad brush a whole bunch of people. Nice. It's not like we expect conservatives to be intellectually or morally consistent, right?
    The problem is the number of occasions when, and the variety of circumstances under which just "one idiot did one dumb thing."
    There is also the matter of the environment which makes it seem (to the person concerned) that the person can act like that with impunity.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      Was the irony deliberate?
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        The problem is the number of occasions when, and the variety of circumstances under which just "one idiot did one dumb thing."
        There is also the matter of the environment which makes it seem (to the person concerned) that the person can act like that with impunity.
        The incident is being investigated by the board. Most boards take child safety and therefore custody extremely seriously. This is likely a fireable offense.
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
          The incident is being investigated by the board. Most boards take child safety and therefore custody extremely seriously. This is likely a fireable offense.
          Not really. You can't just fire people in NZ. The best the School Board could do is choose not to renew the teacher's contract at the end of the year.

The teacher might get censured by the Education Council, but is hardly likely to lose their registration over this.
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
            Not really. You can't just fire people in NZ. The best the School Board could do is choose not to renew the teacher's contract at the end of the year.

The teacher might get censured by the Education Council, but is hardly likely to lose their registration over this.
            Sounds like the US. As one teacher once told me, the only two ways to lose your job are to do something inappropriate with a kid or do something inappropriate with money.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Sounds like the US. As one teacher once told me, the only two ways to lose your job are to do something inappropriate with a kid or do something inappropriate with money.
              Yes.

The article from the OP has already disappeared from the Education Headlines in NZ as we're about to have a MASSIVE teachers strike. Apart from teachers at Private Schools, teachers salaries in NZ are negotiated at a national level with the government. You are paid in years of experience + a modifier if you have post grad qualification, so a teacher with 5 years exp and a BSce will earn the same working out in the wop-wops as a teacher with 5 years exp and a Bsce working at Auckland Grammar. Which is great for the teacher out in the wop-wops, not so great for the teacher who has to live in one of the most expensive cities for housing in the world.

And the other big article in the education from is this one A senior female teacher suspended from Marlborough Boys' College is under investigation over alleged sexual relationships with multiple students over several years.
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                Yes.

The article from the OP has already disappeared from the Education Headlines in NZ as we're about to have a MASSIVE teachers strike. Apart from teachers at Private Schools, teachers salaries in NZ are negotiated at a national level with the government. You are paid in years of experience + a modifier if you have post grad qualification, so a teacher with 5 years exp and a BSce will earn the same working out in the wop-wops as a teacher with 5 years exp and a Bsce working at Auckland Grammar. Which is great for the teacher out in the wop-wops, not so great for the teacher who has to live in one of the most expensive cities for housing in the world.
                Wop-wops? Amazing ... here it's "Woop-woop" where the term is used. The argument that the inconvenience of living in the Never-never balances the expense of living in more convenient environs does have some merit, methinks.

If it follows the usual pattern, there will be a perfectly valid and acceptable excuse for her actions. (though it is likely she won't be allowed to teach again, if found guilty)
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Only if they have tenure. At my sister-in-law's elementary school in Tennessee, they brought in a new principal who basically fired all of the teachers without tenure that she didn't like (did not renew their contracts for the next year) and brought in a bunch of her friends. My sister-in-law has tenure so she could only transfer her to another school. It is a complete hatchet job set in play by the school board.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Only if they have tenure. At my sister-in-law's elementary school in Tennessee, they brought in a new principal who basically fired all of the teachers without tenure that she didn't like (did not renew their contracts for the next year) and brought in a bunch of her friends. My sister-in-law has tenure so she could only transfer her to another school. It is a complete hatchet job set in play by the school board.
                    Nasty wide-open door for nepotism. And potential for a school full of brain-washing extremists of any stamp, political or religious.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      Nasty wide-open door for nepotism. And potential for a school full of brain-washing extremists of any stamp, political or religious.
                      Yep. Which is exactly what is happening at my SIL's school. They don't like that many of the teachers there are not toeing the political line of the liberal school board, so they sent in this new principal as a hatchet woman to clean out the "resistance"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Yep. Which is exactly what is happening at my SIL's school. They don't like that many of the teachers there are not toeing the political line of the liberal school board, so they sent in this new principal as a hatchet woman to clean out the "resistance"
                        I think UNIONS are one of the worst things that have happened for education - there is no such powerful agency to protect the students.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I think UNIONS are one of the worst things that have happened for education - there is no such powerful agency to protect the students.
                          I agree, and I'm saying that as somebody who is generally pro-union. There has to be a middle ground that gives due process for teachers who are fired unfairly without going so far out of the way to protect the bad apples, and in any profession that has so many employees, there are going to be some bad apples. This is one profession where you really have to get rid of them.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            That's a good point. I wonder how the school board is ramming these dismissals through without the Union getting involved? I need to ask my SIL.

Comment

Unscrupulous employers lead to the need for exploited employees to form unions - which is why Wesley founded the first union in England.
                              Unfortunately, unscrupulous people can wind up as "leaders" of union movements and the outcomes are often disastrous.
                              But - tar-brushing unions is much the same processing as tar-brushing priests as sex offenders, and with just as much validity.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

At my last workplace, one of my co-workers got his job back after getting caught driving a mail truck under the influence. That's unacceptable.

Comment