Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Guy Beat, Raped, Shot, and Buried Alive a 19 Year Old Girl. Guess Who's The Victim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Guy Beat, Raped, Shot, and Buried Alive a 19 Year Old Girl. Guess Who's The Victim?

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kristin...o-pity-victims

Okay, yes, I know it's wrong to repay evil with more evil, and that mistake during the execution never should have happened....but seriously, why are 'so' many people concerned about the murdering rapist and not, say, the victim? Perhaps the victims family?
    Last edited by TimelessTheist; 05-03-2014, 08:39 PM.
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
    Okay, yes, I know it's wrong to repay evil with more evil, and that mistake during the execution never should have happened....
    Sounds like karma to me. One who inflicted a painful death had one himself.

Comment

Okay, yes, I know it's wrong to repay evil with more evil, and that mistake during the execution never should have happened....but seriously, why are 'so' many people concerned about the murdering rapist and not, say, the victim? Perhaps the victims family?
      Because black people are an Officially Protected Class, duh.

Comment

Okay, yes, I know it's wrong to repay evil with more evil
        Capital punishment isn't evil.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

One's stance on the death penalty aside, I feel uncomfortable with the way that anti-death penalty advocates make martyrs out of the worst of the worst killers. It's downright creepy, really, and does quite a disservice to the victims of the original crimes.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Revenge and retribution have no place in enlightened societies; it lowers the practitioners to the level of the criminal perpetrators and desensitizes the population to cruelty – as demonstrated by your own insensitive and blasé attitude to his botched death.

Interesting that the US is the ONLY western country that still practices capital punishment! It is in company with the likes of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Botswana, Indonesia, Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Syria, Uzbekistan, and Yemen – not exactly a cross-section of the more enlightened nations.

It’s interesting also that the majority of those executed in the US are from racial and ethnic minorities and from lower socioeconomic backgrounds, indicating that society is at fault to some degree for placing such people at a disadvantage in the first place.

Certainly, society needs to be protected from violent and anti-social individuals, but incarceration and attempted rehabilitation is more civilized than state-sanctioned, premeditated killing. Such a brutal practice reduces the US states that practice it to the level of the fundamentalist Muslim countries and their imposition of Sharia Law.
            Last edited by Tassman; 05-03-2014, 11:56 PM.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

The only time I would give any credibility to a lecture from someone seeking a moral high ground about the cruelty of capital punishment is if they themselves had a daughter that was raped and buried alive. If they still held to that opinion, only then would I respect it.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                The only time I would give any credibility to a lecture from someone seeking a moral high ground about the cruelty of capital punishment is if they themselves had a daughter that was raped and buried alive. If they still held to that opinion, only then would I respect it.
                Well, many of them do make just that argument. Besides seanD, cruel and unusual punishment is unconstitutional.

Comment

TASSMAN IS BACK. It may be time to dust off my old genocide apologia again

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  Revenge and retribution have no place in enlightened societies; it lowers the practitioners to the level of the criminal perpetrators and desensitizes the population to cruelty – as demonstrated by your own insensitive and blasé attitude to his botched death.
                  Utter nonsense. It's precisely the lack of effective retribution for enormous crimes that desensitizes the criminal population to commit greater cruelties. And that motivates the non-criminal classes toward ever more byzantine and drastic methods of crime avoidance that end up destroying the community spirit. And that's just not right.

Interesting that the US is the ONLY western country that still practices capital punishment! It is in company with the likes of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Botswana, Indonesia, Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Syria, Uzbekistan, and Yemen – not exactly a cross-section of the more enlightened nations.
                  "Enlightened?" Cracka, you sayin' you better than brown people?

It’s interesting also that the majority of those executed in the US are from racial and ethnic minorities and from lower socioeconomic backgrounds, indicating that society is at fault to some degree for placing such people at a disadvantage in the first place.
                  "Enlightened" society is at fault for not uplifting them via harsh penalties for the lawbreakers among them, yes.

Certainly, society needs to be protected from violent and anti-social individuals, but incarceration and attempted rehabilitation is more civilized
                  And far less effective.

than state-sanctioned, premeditated killing. Such a brutal practice reduces the US states that practice it to the level of the fundamentalist Muslim countries and their imposition of Sharia Law.
                  Which gains a lot of its popularity in Western countries precisely due to its willingness to do extralegally what the legal system is not willing to do. The only reason all you Australian criminals aren't murdering each other in trapdoor kangaroo caves is due to the previous population being willing to kill who was necessary to keep Australian civilization going.

Comment

Executing men who torture, rape and murder = incompatible with an enlightened, civilized society.

Having your innocent unborn child vacuumed out of your uterus and tossed out like garbage because you just don't want any kids right now but totally couldn't pass on an opportunity to have sex with that really hot guy you met at a local bar while getting hammered = the stuff that enlightened, civilized societies are made of.
                    Last edited by CMD; 05-04-2014, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      Capital punishment isn't evil.
                      Causing people pain with no beneficial aspect to it, is. Torture for vital information about terrorist attacks can be justified. Torturing someone you're just going to execute anyway, for no reason, isn't.
                      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Insensitive? Did you miss what I wrote about not repaying evil with more evil? Also, the guy was a murdering rapist, who said he liked it when he saw his victim choking on the dirt he was burying her in. Seriously, screw off.

Well, at least those countries are doing something right. Oh yeah, and "enlightened" nations? Well, I know that "enlightened" to you is just an atheist/liberal buzzword to "think exactly as we do." Oh, and I see you're still keeping up the liberal tradition of condescension towards other cultures.

Yes, I know. It's because of those same people who oppose the death penalty (democrats) that they're like that. They keep them like that with their terrible welfare systems, food stamps, affirmative action, and Planned Parenthood.

Certainly, society needs to be protected from violent and anti-social individuals, but incarceration and attempted rehabilitation is more civilized than state-sanctioned, premeditated killing. Such a brutal practice reduces the US states that practice it to the level of the fundamentalist Muslim countries and their imposition of Sharia Law.
                        If they're just going to die in prison anyway, then what's the point in keeping them alive? Also, Sharia Law got some things right....just not most things.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

If capital punishments were painful and public there would be socially beneficial deterrent. Like the guillotines.

Comment

The ethics of capital punishment are quite odd in some respects because the execution actually ends punishment of the criminal. If punishment were the purpose of execution, you would have to ‘torture until death’ so that there was some equivalence between the murder and the execution. As far as I know, the type of judicial execution closest to that would be stoning. Most countries do not indulge in that sort of brutality because they do not want to be brutish themselves or be thought of as brutish by others. They do not want to be infected by the brutality of the murderer by copying him.

Capital punishment has only two effects – it deters the others (time is a factor) and removes the harm (but you want to do that without harming yourself).

It is probably a good idea for any society to have a ‘brutality audit’ from time to time. Are kids watching violence on television? Is violence portrayed in the media as exciting? Are kids taught to use weapons and kill things? Are they taught good manners, civility and do they try to help each other or are they cliquish and go in for cyber-bullying and the like?

One final thought – the violent murderer is very rare but he also commonly has a history of odd and unsocial behaviour and therefore the people who have come into contact with him during his life have failed to intervene before the situation got out of control.
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              We are enlightened? We who slaughter our unborn on an industrial scale? Whose intellectual priest class is now even suggesting that it should be legal to also kill newborns?

http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/201...11-100411.full

Abstract

Abortion is largely accepted even for reasons that do not have anything to do with the fetus' health. By showing that (1) both fetuses and newborns do not have the same moral status as actual persons, (2) the fact that both are potential persons is morally irrelevant and (3) adoption is not always in the best interest of actual people, the authors argue that what we call ‘after-birth abortion’ (killing a newborn) should be permissible in all the cases where abortion is, including cases where the newborn is not disabled.
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment