Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court Takes Gay And Transgender Discrimination Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court Takes Gay And Transgender Discrimination Case

I don't see how they can find for the plaintiffs since the Civil Rights Act does not apply to orientation...

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court announced on Monday that it would decide whether a federal law prohibits employers from discriminating against gay and transgender workers.

The law, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, forbids employment discrimination based on sex. The question for the justices is whether that language bars discrimination based on sexual orientation or transgender status.

Most federal appeals courts have interpreted the law to exclude sexual orientation discrimination. But two of them, in New York and Chicago, recently issued decisions ruling that discrimination against gay men and lesbians is a form of sex discrimination.

The Supreme Court agreed to hear the case from New York, Altitude Express Inc. v. Zarda, No. 17-1623, along with one from Georgia that came to the opposite conclusion, Bostock v. Clayton County, Georgia, No. 17-1618.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/22/u...employees.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Hmmm... which way will Roberts go on this one? Any predictions?
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      Hmmm... which way will Roberts go on this one? Any predictions?
      If he follows the law and the intent of the law there is only one way to go.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        I don't see how they can find for the plaintiffs since the Civil Rights Act does not apply to orientation...
        If they can find that the 14th Amendment somehow applies to abortion....
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          If they can find that the 14th Amendment somehow applies to abortion....
          We will see...

Comment

The claim the Civil Rights Act as currently written applies to sexually orientation seems highly questionable to me, but I'll admit to not being particularly familiar with the arguments and casework. Whether it applies to transgenderism is a more interesting question.

Comment