Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sri Lanka terror attack; over 200 dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We should all agree to a worldwide moratorium on god worshiping. I’ll start. Join in when ready, and together we will put an end to religious violence.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      We should all agree to a worldwide moratorium on god worshiping. I’ll start. Join in when ready, and together we will put an end to religious violence.
      Secular leftism brought us Stalin's purges (1.45 to 2 million killed) and Holodomor (a.k.a., Terror Famine with 3.3 to 7.5 million killed), Mao's Great Leap Forward (18 to 56 million killed) and Cultural Revolution (1.5 to 3 million killed[1]), Pol Pot's Killing Fields (2 to 2.5 million killed) and North Korean concentration camps (1 to 1.5 million killed) and terror starvation campaign from 1993 to 2008 (up to 1 million killed).

Maybe that is where we should start.

1. post-Mao leaders acknowledged that 100 million people, one-ninth of the entire population, suffered in one way or another.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Secular leftism brought us Stalin's purges (1.45 to 2 million killed) and Holodomor (a.k.a., Terror Famine with 3.3 to 7.5 million killed), Mao's Great Leap Forward (18 to 56 million killed) and Cultural Revolution (1.5 to 3 million killed[1]), Pol Pot's Killing Fields (2 to 2.5 million killed) and North Korean concentration camps (1 to 1.5 million killed) and terror starvation campaign from 1993 to 2008 (up to 1 million killed).

Maybe that is where we should start.

1. post-Mao leaders acknowledged that 100 million people, one-ninth of the entire population, suffered in one way or another.
        You seem to be confusing ‘left’ with ‘authoritarian’. Secularism is not on the political compass (Nolan Chart).
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Secularism believes that man is the ultimate authority, and so totalitarianism is a natural fit.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You seem to be confusing ‘left’ with ‘authoritarian’. Secularism is not on the political compass (Nolan Chart).
            Is "religious"?

In any case secular leftism exists and as we can see has resulted in many tens of millions of lives being snuffed out to further secular left wing dreams and policies.
            Last edited by rogue06; 04-23-2019, 01:00 PM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The issue is not religion, but the base nature of mankind. Since most religions are attempts to quell or redirect those primal urges, you are focused in the wrong direction.

To truly fix the problem you must first recognize its source.

Most philosophies based in atheism come up short in that regard.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Compare how this story is being covered by the media to the mosque attacks in New Zealand.
                This line of thought is just weird. Its been front page, lead story since sunday. They sre reporting the prime suspect caught on video is ISIS.

They have covered the shock and horror of this attack on a holy day, of the christian worshippers and children just trying to worship in peace whose lives were snuffed out unfairly by these terrorists.

What more exactly are you looking for?

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  The issue is not religion, but the base nature of mankind. Since most religions are attempts to quell or redirect those primal urges, you are focused in the wrong direction.

To truly fix the problem you must first recognize its source.

Most philosophies based in atheism come up short in that regard.

Jim
                  Religions, some of them, give people a sense of superiority. Supremacist thinking is what makes one despise the others. Ideas like the idea of salvation are a curse. We need instead to recognize each other’s equality regardless of ethnicity, religion and so on.

Comment

We need instead to recognize each other’s equality regardless of ethnicity, religion and so on.
                    How do you get equality without God? People are not by nature equal in any real sense.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      How do you get equality without God? People are not by nature equal in any real sense.
                      Sure they are. Some are just more equal than others.

Comment

This line of thought is just weird. Its been front page, lead story since sunday. They sre reporting the prime suspect caught on video is ISIS.

They have covered the shock and horror of this attack on a holy day, of the christian worshippers and children just trying to worship in peace whose lives were snuffed out unfairly by these terrorists.

What more exactly are you looking for?

Jim
                        It seems to be far less covered than the New Zealand attack, but maybe that's the "man bites dog" aspect since Islamists slaughtering hundreds to thousands in an attack seems to be anything but extraordinary

And for Roy...

Source: Yes, 'Easter Worshipper' Was Intentional. Yes, It Matters. Here's Why.

When Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) tweeted about "art and architecture" during the Notre Dame fire, I defended her against the criticism it drew from Christians who accused her of pointedly ignoring the spiritual significance of the building. I thought the tweet was perfectly normal and acceptable, and I don't really expect a Muslim woman to find any spiritual significance in a building meant for Christian worship. To my mind, that outrage — if we can call it an outrage — was overblown.

But "Easter worshippers" is a different thing entirely. Responding to the slaughter of hundreds of Christians during Easter attacks by radical Islamic terrorists, a number of prominent Democratic politicians chose to issue statements that glaringly omit any direct mention of the faith identity of the victims.

Barack Obama said this: "The attacks on tourists and Easter worshippers in Sri Lanka are an attack on humanity. On a day devoted to love, redemption, and renewal, we pray for the victims and stand with the people of Sri Lanka."

Hillary Clinton seemed to be working literally from the same script: "On this holy weekend for many faiths, we must stand united against hatred and violence. I'm praying for everyone affected by today's horrific attacks on Easter worshippers and travelers in Sri Lanka."

Several other Democrats latched onto this same phrase — "Easter worshippers." If just one of them had gone this route, perhaps I could be convinced that it might be clumsy wording and nothing more. But it is simply impossible to believe that several significant Democrats would all independently and innocently think to refer to Christian victims in such a roundabout and obscure way.

I have been a Christian all my life and if I've ever heard the term "Easter worshipper," or something like it, it would have been in reference to Christians who only go to church on Christmas and Easter. Generally we call those types "Christmas and Easter Christians" or "CEOs" (Christmas and Easter Only). But the general mass of people who show up to worship on Easter have always, in my experience, just been called Christians. It would be technically accurate to use a label like "Passover observers" in the place of "Jews" and "Ramadan commemorators" for "Muslims," but I can't imagine why anyone would be so unnecessarily vague and wordy. Unless, of course, there is some reason why they don't want to explicitly acknowledge the group in question. And that appears to be the case here.

As it happens, we don't need to wonder how the likes of Clinton and Obama would respond to a similar attack against Muslims. There was just such an attack a few weeks ago in New Zealand. Let's look at their statements.

Obama: "Michelle and I send our condolences to the people of New Zealand. We grieve with you and the Muslim community. All of us must stand against hatred in all its forms."

Clinton: "My heart breaks for New Zealand & the global Muslim community. We must continue to fight the perpetuation and normalization of Islamophobia and racism in all its forms. White supremacist terrorists must be condemned by leaders everywhere. Their murderous hatred must be stopped."

This gives the game away. No rational person could fail to notice a stark contrast between these statements and the ones issued in response to nearly 300 butchered Christians on Easter Sunday. They both make sure to use the word "Muslim." Clinton goes further and ropes in "Islamophobia" and "[w]hite supremacist terrorists." Not only does she omit "Christian" from her comments on Sri Lanka, but she certainly says nothing about "Christophobia" and "Islamic terrorists."

Are we supposed to believe that this is a mere coincidence? If so, is it also a coincidence that Hillary Clinton, who accidentally forgot the word "Christian" yesterday on Easter, did not forget the phrase "LGBT community" after the shooting at a gay club in Orlando three years ago? Of course not. There is a purpose behind this, and the purpose matters.

Christians are among the most persecuted groups on the planet. On a monthly basis, hundreds are murdered for their faith, hundreds more are locked in prison without just cause, and dozens of churches are burned or vandalized. Indeed, the most shocking thing about yesterday's tragedy is how utterly routine it has become. It was only two years ago that over a hundred Christians were killed in explosions at Palm Sunday services in Egypt. Many Christians across the world know that they take their lives into their hands when they gather for worship. This fact — that Christians are not only a victim group, but are one of the most victimized groups — is extraordinarily inconvenient for Democrats, who have structured their whole agenda around their victimhood narrative. By their telling, racial minorities, women, homosexuals, and Muslims are The Victims while white men and Christians are The Bad Guys. This dichotomy would be thrown wildly out of balance and sent into disarray if Christians were admitted into the victim column — especially because they are so often victimized by Muslim extremists.

No, the Democrats can't have that. So they usually ignore the genocide of Christians, and often enact policies that make it worse. And when they are forced, on the rare occasion, to acknowledge an attack of this sort, they will do it without saying anything that might give ignorant Americans the impression that there is a real systematic problem of Christians being constantly blown up and murdered by Muslim extremists. But the systematic problem is real, even if these conniving cowards won't admit it.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

And look at post #43.

Nothing even remotely like it from Hillary or others on the left, but rather pap about "Easter worshippers" and a glaringly obvious lack of a specific condemnation of "Muslim terrorists." Just a bland generic statement against violence in general.

Comment

Religions, some of them, give people a sense of superiority. Supremacist thinking is what makes one despise the others.
                          So does atheism - or haven't you noticed? So does sports, or music, or art. Pride is endemic to humanity, as is racism and tribalism. Religions may feed it, or they may fight it. But the problem is in humankind itself. Those religions that teach love, mercy, kindness, respect for their fellowman, insomuch as the participants actually respond to those messages, act to reduce the incidence of such things in humanity. But only in those that truly embrace those teachings and put them into practice.

Ideas like the idea of salvation are a curse. We need instead to recognize each other’s equality regardless of ethnicity, religion and so on.
                          No - you are horribly mistaken. The idea of salvation, or more accurately the true work of Christ in a person that produces salvation, does not produce these things, but rather the failure of those claiming to have it but not understanding what it actually means, those not embracing the true lordship of Christ and renouncing their own evil, be it pride or desire or whatever would cause us to do evil.

The Bible tells that evil (sin) in mankind becomes its most evil self when it takes that which is good and uses it for evil. That is what you see - the evil that lies latent in all of us taking that which should be good, and which should result in better humanity, and using it for it's own purpose.

That is why the Christian faith recognizes the need for each individual to find a personal transformation in Christ, and to DIE to the old ways, the ways of that basic nature that would use good for evil to feed itself. And only some succeed. Many wear the teachings of Christ like clothing, swapping out bits and pieces for convenience. But that - again - is the human selfish, base nature that the religion - in this case Christianity - aims to change and make better.

Christ teaches that to love our neighbor* as our self and to serve the lord with all ones heart and soul summarized the entire Bible. That if one does those two things in purity and innocence, one will not live outside any goodness, any Godliness. But none of us can actually do that. We are always in one way or another seeking what we want over what is best for others and ourselves. And that is where evil finds its root. And that is why we need the transforming power of love of Christ himself - to make it possible for us to be transformed from that person that is a slave to desire and pride and other evils to change and become better.

But without the teachings that counter that base nature, the world would be a much worse place. Without those striving to be what Christ actually taught us to be, you could not even imagine how much worse off we would all be.

Jim

ETA:

*and He defines neighbor as anyone, even the most despised outcast (see the parable of the Samaritan)
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-23-2019, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            It seems to be far less covered than the New Zealand attack, but maybe that's the "man bites dog" aspect since Islamists slaughtering hundreds to thousands in an attack seems to be anything but extraordinary

And for Roy...

Source: Yes, 'Easter Worshipper' Was Intentional. Yes, It Matters. Here's Why.

When Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) tweeted about "art and architecture" during the Notre Dame fire, I defended her against the criticism it drew from Christians who accused her of pointedly ignoring the spiritual significance of the building. I thought the tweet was perfectly normal and acceptable, and I don't really expect a Muslim woman to find any spiritual significance in a building meant for Christian worship. To my mind, that outrage — if we can call it an outrage — was overblown.

But "Easter worshippers" is a different thing entirely. Responding to the slaughter of hundreds of Christians during Easter attacks by radical Islamic terrorists, a number of prominent Democratic politicians chose to issue statements that glaringly omit any direct mention of the faith identity of the victims.

Barack Obama said this: "The attacks on tourists and Easter worshippers in Sri Lanka are an attack on humanity. On a day devoted to love, redemption, and renewal, we pray for the victims and stand with the people of Sri Lanka."

Hillary Clinton seemed to be working literally from the same script: "On this holy weekend for many faiths, we must stand united against hatred and violence. I'm praying for everyone affected by today's horrific attacks on Easter worshippers and travelers in Sri Lanka."

Several other Democrats latched onto this same phrase — "Easter worshippers." If just one of them had gone this route, perhaps I could be convinced that it might be clumsy wording and nothing more. But it is simply impossible to believe that several significant Democrats would all independently and innocently think to refer to Christian victims in such a roundabout and obscure way.

I have been a Christian all my life and if I've ever heard the term "Easter worshipper," or something like it, it would have been in reference to Christians who only go to church on Christmas and Easter. Generally we call those types "Christmas and Easter Christians" or "CEOs" (Christmas and Easter Only). But the general mass of people who show up to worship on Easter have always, in my experience, just been called Christians. It would be technically accurate to use a label like "Passover observers" in the place of "Jews" and "Ramadan commemorators" for "Muslims," but I can't imagine why anyone would be so unnecessarily vague and wordy. Unless, of course, there is some reason why they don't want to explicitly acknowledge the group in question. And that appears to be the case here.

As it happens, we don't need to wonder how the likes of Clinton and Obama would respond to a similar attack against Muslims. There was just such an attack a few weeks ago in New Zealand. Let's look at their statements.

Obama: "Michelle and I send our condolences to the people of New Zealand. We grieve with you and the Muslim community. All of us must stand against hatred in all its forms."

Clinton: "My heart breaks for New Zealand & the global Muslim community. We must continue to fight the perpetuation and normalization of Islamophobia and racism in all its forms. White supremacist terrorists must be condemned by leaders everywhere. Their murderous hatred must be stopped."

This gives the game away. No rational person could fail to notice a stark contrast between these statements and the ones issued in response to nearly 300 butchered Christians on Easter Sunday. They both make sure to use the word "Muslim." Clinton goes further and ropes in "Islamophobia" and "[w]hite supremacist terrorists." Not only does she omit "Christian" from her comments on Sri Lanka, but she certainly says nothing about "Christophobia" and "Islamic terrorists."

Are we supposed to believe that this is a mere coincidence? If so, is it also a coincidence that Hillary Clinton, who accidentally forgot the word "Christian" yesterday on Easter, did not forget the phrase "LGBT community" after the shooting at a gay club in Orlando three years ago? Of course not. There is a purpose behind this, and the purpose matters.

Christians are among the most persecuted groups on the planet. On a monthly basis, hundreds are murdered for their faith, hundreds more are locked in prison without just cause, and dozens of churches are burned or vandalized. Indeed, the most shocking thing about yesterday's tragedy is how utterly routine it has become. It was only two years ago that over a hundred Christians were killed in explosions at Palm Sunday services in Egypt. Many Christians across the world know that they take their lives into their hands when they gather for worship. This fact — that Christians are not only a victim group, but are one of the most victimized groups — is extraordinarily inconvenient for Democrats, who have structured their whole agenda around their victimhood narrative. By their telling, racial minorities, women, homosexuals, and Muslims are The Victims while white men and Christians are The Bad Guys. This dichotomy would be thrown wildly out of balance and sent into disarray if Christians were admitted into the victim column — especially because they are so often victimized by Muslim extremists.

No, the Democrats can't have that. So they usually ignore the genocide of Christians, and often enact policies that make it worse. And when they are forced, on the rare occasion, to acknowledge an attack of this sort, they will do it without saying anything that might give ignorant Americans the impression that there is a real systematic problem of Christians being constantly blown up and murdered by Muslim extremists. But the systematic problem is real, even if these conniving cowards won't admit it.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

And look at post #43.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36605[/ATTACH]

Nothing even remotely like it from Hillary or others on the left, but rather pap about "Easter worshippers" and a glaringly obvious lack of a specific condemnation of "Muslim terrorists." Just a bland generic statement against violence in general.
                            I agree with you on the assessment of 'easter worhippers' vs Christians worhipping on Easter.

But as far as the news coverage itself, I don't really see it being any 'less' than what was seen from new zealand. I did notice that today for some reason Fox did not make this its lead story, whereas CNN did.

Jim

Comment

I agree with you on the assessment of 'easter worhippers' vs Christians worhipping on Easter.

But as far as the news coverage itself, I don't really see it being any 'less' than what was seen from new zealand. I did notice that today for some reason Fox did not make this its lead story, whereas CNN did.

Jim
                              Perhaps it's confirmation bias on my part, but coverage doesn't seem to be at the fever pitch it was with the New Zealand attack.

Comment

I was sorry to see the gloomy picture which you drew of the affairs of your Country in your letter of December; but I hope events have not turned out so badly as you then apprehended. Of all the animosities which have existed among mankind, those which are caused by a difference of sentiments in religion appear to be the most inveterate and distressing, and ought most to be deprecated. I was in hopes, that the enlightened and liberal policy, which has marked the present age, would at least have reconciled Christians of every denomination so far, that we should never again see their religious disputes carried to such a pitch as to endanger the peace of Society.
                                George Washington
                                Progress is slow!

Comment