Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    He sounds perfectly qualified to be chairman of the local symphony. I don't see anything in his resume that says "presidential".
    But, but, but... He's gay! That will get him lots of monolithic "because he's gay" votes just like a woman would get "the female vote" or a black would get "the black vote". Not only do you get the votes of your own "segment", but you'll also get votes from those who are "woke" and need to prove they're not prejudiced.

It's always a legitimate question to ask... is he/she "qualified" for office because he's gay, or black or female --- or his he/she qualified because he/she is actually QUALIFIED.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Jim is particularly upset with me because I am not very nice to JimL, and because I have implied that Jim is siding with Tassman and JimL a lot.

This one really is about me.
      well, at least you can acknowkedge you are not very nice to jiml.

But no, rest assured that comment is not 'about you' or back handedly targetting any specific person.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

But, but, but... He's gay! That will get him lots of monolithic "because he's gay" votes just like a woman would get "the female vote" or a black would get "the black vote". Not only do you get the votes of your own "segment", but you'll also get votes from those who are "woke" and need to prove they're not prejudiced.

It's always a legitimate question to ask... is he/she "qualified" for office because he's gay, or black or female --- or his he/she qualified because he/she is actually QUALIFIED.
        I knew a bunch of folks who voted for Jimmy Carter for no other reason than he was a fellow Georgian -- and many of these same people would complain long and loud about what a lousy governor he was.
        Last edited by rogue06; 07-07-2019, 01:16 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Jim is particularly upset with me because I am not very nice to JimL, and because I have implied that Jim is siding with Tassman and JimL a lot.

This one really is about me.
          I see.

Well, to be honest, I think you can be a bit too harsh on JimL. You do it playfully, so it's not as biting as when MM does it, but calling him dumb or constantly calling him on his spelling mistakes as if to show how simple he is or something, it's...well...I think we can all do better with our discourse here. But I guess everyone knows my shpiel on all of that by now.

Comment

Serving on boards, counsels, and roundtables is one of the least impressive qualifications. It just means you have the right connections and not that you're a competent leader.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Yes, it's an ego-stroker -- somebody wants to capitalize on your name or office, not necessarily because you're a good manager, but because of your connections - like having "the Mayor" on our board.
            It's also a notorious way of trying to gain influence. It's a big advantage having the mayor or governor thinking of your group as "us" whenever you want something.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              You do it playfully, so it's not as biting as when MM does it...
              If I didn't know better, I would take that as a compliment.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                It's also a notorious way of trying to gain influence. It's a big advantage having the mayor or governor thinking of your group as "us" whenever you want something.
                And then those same groups will give you an award to show you how much they appreciate you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  I see.

Well, to be honest, I think you can be a bit too harsh on JimL. You do it playfully, so it's not as biting as when MM does it, but calling him dumb or constantly calling him on his spelling mistakes as if to show how simple he is or something, it's...well...I think we can all do better with our discourse here. But I guess everyone knows my shpiel on all of that by now.
                  If I thought there was even a snowball's chance that JimL was here to be something other than a pain in the butt.... but I will take your input to heart.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Serving on boards, counsels, and roundtables is one of the least impressive qualifications. It just means you have the right connections and not that you're a competent leader.
                    It means more than “just having the right connections”. It means that you are capable of networking and communicating effectively with empathy to one’s peers and subordinates. All important qualities in a leader.

Business and community awards in America are commonplace. Walk into the office of any company manager or government bureacrat in the US, and you are guaranteed to see any number of plaques and trophies. Again, it's more about having the right connections than demonstrating competent leadership.
                    It’s having the right connections and being capable of maintaining them, and demonstrating competent leadership. One doesn’t get the “plaques and trophies” without all of these qualities.

"Profiled" by the media? So what. My pastor can boast the same.
                    So, can I. But it’s a commendable quality nonetheless to be able to get positive profiling, rather than the negative profiling the current occupant of the WH gets. .

His military service is commendable.
                    Yes, lucky Pete, no bone spurs to prevent him doing military service.

Plays an instrument? Who gives a flying fig?
                    His ability to play piano to concert-hall standard, as with his exceptional linguistic skills, are indicators of a well-rounded, highly accomplished person who would be an asset to the office of president.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

We are SO PAST the racial issue, that we don't spend NEARLY as much time as Tassman does on it. He's very much like Satan in that regard --- trying to force you to live in shame and be mired in your past rather than work effectively for solutions. Tassman is trying to keep the SBC ENSLAVED to our past. That's who he is.
                      You don’t need me to keep the SBC ENSLAVED to your past. The fact that the SBC waited 30 years to issue an apology, when the Civil Rights Act ended (in theory at least) the segregation enforced by the Jim Crow Laws, demonstrates a certain reluctance to forget the past. As do the Confederate monuments, many erected during the Jim Crow era, and Confederate flags act as constant reminders of the good ol’ days when whites ruled unfettered by racial considerations.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        It means more than “just having the right connections”. It means that you are capable of networking and communicating effectively with empathy to one’s peers and subordinates. All important qualities in a leader.
                        IOW, you got asked because you were elected to office, including mayor of the 4th largest city in the 17th largest state.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post

It’s having the right connections and being capable of maintaining them, and demonstrating competent leadership. One doesn’t get the “plaques and trophies” without all of these qualities.

So, can I. But it’s a commendable quality nonetheless to be able to get positive profiling, rather than the negative profiling the current occupant of the WH gets. .

Yes, lucky Pete, no bone spurs to prevent him doing military service.

His ability to play piano to concert-hall standard, as with his exceptional linguistic skills, are indicators of a well-rounded, highly accomplished person who would be an asset to the office of president.
                          Mayor Pete's "credentials" sound like a kid fresh out of college with a padded resume, and now you sound like that same kid in an interview trying desperately to con a job recruiter into thinking you're far more qualified than you really are.

Maybe he's considered an impressive applicant in Australia, but here in the US, he's middling at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            You don’t need me to keep the SBC ENSLAVED to your past.
                            No, I have LONG moved on --- but it appears to be a fixation with you.

The fact that the SBC waited 30 years to issue an apology, when the Civil Rights Act ended (in theory at least) the segregation enforced by the Jim Crow Laws, demonstrates a certain reluctance to forget the past.
                            The SBC, as an entity, never had a policy of slavery --- it was individuals in member churches. When it became apparent that anti-Christian bigots like you just would never let it die, they felt the need to issue public statements - which they have done numerous times.

You are such an inept or dishonest (or both) jackass that you keep getting it wrong.
                            FIRST you said....
                            Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            The Southern Baptist Convention was founded in 1845 in the Southern United States for the very purpose of maintaining slavery. It didn’t acknowledge they were wrong about it until Aug 28, 2009.
                            You were proven wrong, so you 'adjusted', but with more ignorance/dishonesty...

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            Yes, it is the interpretation of scripture that makes the difference, e.g. the Southern Baptists once interpreted scripture in such a way as to justify slavery, renouncing it officially only in 1995.
                            That's a lie - the SBC NEVER interpreted scripture in such a way as to justify slavery, but at least you backed off from 2009 to 1995.

THEN we see that the SBC actually passed a resolution on this in St. Louis, Mo in 1961 -- three years PRIOR to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, nearly FIFTY YEARS before your FIRST lie.

And, because the SBC never had a policy justifying slavery on scriptural grounds, the apologies were over racism - which was rampant throughout our nation.

Comment

Mayor Pete's "credentials" sound like a kid fresh out of college with a padded resume, and now you sound like that same kid in an interview trying desperately to con a job recruiter into thinking you're far more qualified than you really are.

Maybe he's considered an impressive applicant in Australia, but here in the US, he's middling at best.
                              I think this thread is a particularly excellent example of Tassy's extreme biases....

A) Southern Baptists will be viewed in the worst possible light even if things have to be manufactured or perverted.
                              2) A homosexual will be exalted to Presidential status regardless of any actual evidence of worthiness.

But, hey, Buttigieg plays the piano!

Comment

Ironical that a Rhodes Scholar and Harvard graduate, who is multilingual, twice elected and author of a NY Times best-selling book and overall culturally well-rounded is being compared unfavorably by the likes of you to Trump, whom you support, who is an illiterate, lying, sexually aggressive, "moron"…as Rex Tillerson said of him.

Comment