Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    A) The argument was over Tassman's false claim that Buttigieg, himself, claimed to be a practicing Christian.
    2) Regardless of what he claims, some day he'll stand before the Lord, and the Lord will use his own definition of what a 'practicing Christian' is, not Buttigieg's.

Do you understand the difference?

Clyde
    A) a was shown to be true, just not using those exact words.

B) your second point applies to all of us. Stand your ground on what you think is Gods best, but neither of us knows his ultimate standing before God.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

As opposed to the lying conniving shyster like Hillary, who, in addition to her wretchedness, would be pro-abortion, yes.
      Yes, we've all heard your rationalization for why you voted for an immoral buffoon.

Secondly, there is a biblical principle that the majority is not always right.
      I didn’t say that Christians that favor ‘pro-choice’ and LGBT rights were “right”, necessarily, I said they were in the majority. Evangelicals like you are in the minority. But don’t let that stop you enforcing what YOU think is right on the majority. After all this is why you opportunistically put a moral reprobate into power wasn’t, i.e. in order to get your own way? The problem for you is that in order to get your own way you have contaminated yourself and Evangelicalism with the selfish, immoral values of Donald Trump.
      Last edited by Tassman; 06-29-2019, 01:30 AM.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Yes, we've all heard your rationalization why you voted for an immoral buffoon.

I didn’t say that Christians that favor ‘pro-choice’ and LGBT rights were “right”, necessarily, I said they were in the majority. Evangelicals like you are in the minority. But don’t let that stop you enforcing what YOU think is right on the majority. After all this is why you opportunistically put a moral reprobate into power wasn’t, i.e. in order to get your own way?
        You just as much support enforcing your minority views on a majority who disagree. Atheist secular humanist. In your world there is nothing wrong with anyone trying to enforce their views (whatever they might be) on anyone else.

Your moral philosophy is a joke, and you consistently act inconsistently with it. So no one needs to care what you think.
        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          A) a was shown to be true, just not using those exact words.
          Was shown to be POSSIBLE, most certainly not using those exact words or anything close.

B) your second point applies to all of us.
          Except I haven't chosen to live a life in direct violation to God's Word, and I'm not advocating the murder of unborn babies without limits.

Stand your ground on what you think is Gods best, but neither of us knows his ultimate standing before God.

Jim
          I am confident that Jesus will present me faultless to the Father, clothed in His own Righteousness.

Wilbur
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Yes, we've all heard your rationalization for why you voted for an immoral buffoon.
            No, Tassy, I didn't vote for YOU*!

I didn’t say that Christians that favor ‘pro-choice’ and LGBT rights were “right”, necessarily, I said they were in the majority.
            So what? As I stated, the majority is OFTEN wrong.

Evangelicals like you are in the minority.
            That makes me special.

But don’t let that stop you enforcing what YOU think is right on the majority.
            I'm not 'enforcing' anything, Tassy.

After all this is why you opportunistically put a moral reprobate into power wasn’t, i.e. in order to get your own way?
            Well, actually, it was to keep YOUR moral reprobate from getting into power and having HER own way. See how that works?

The problem for you is that in order to get your own way you have contaminated yourself and Evangelicalism with the selfish, immoral values of Donald Trump.
            Only in your dark foolish heart, Tassy. At least Trump is standing up against the slaughter of the innocents, and standing FOR religious liberty. Hillary's probably out there somewhere smashing hard drives and bitbleaching servers.

*that was a joke, and was in no way intended to imply that the intellectually lazy anti-Christian bigot is, indeed, an immoral buffoon, though he appears to play one on Tweb.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I am confident that Jesus will present me faultless to the Father, clothed in His own Righteousness.:

Faultless! Righteous! CP!
              Last edited by JimL; 06-29-2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                You just as much support enforcing your minority views on a majority who disagree. Atheist secular humanist. In your world there is nothing wrong with anyone trying to enforce their views (whatever they might be) on anyone else.

Your moral philosophy is a joke, and you consistently act inconsistently with it. So no one needs to care what you think.
                I have yet to find a moral relativist who doesn't tie himself in knots trying to defend his views.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Was shown to be POSSIBLE, most certainly not using those exact words or anything close.

Except I haven't chosen to live a life in direct violation to God's Word, and I'm not advocating the murder of unborn babies without limits.
                  Cp - we all have to be very cautious with words like that. Its fine to point out you think those things are wrong, absolutely right to ask if a christian can be for those things. But none if us can look at another and say -"hey, I'm not as bad as him" in a sense that we are justified and they are not. In fact, i think when we do that we end up on the opposite side of where we are declaring ourselves to be.

I am confident that Jesus will present me faultless to the Father, clothed in His own Righteousness.
                  But not because of what you did or didn't do - right? Your confidence comes from what he did and His word that he offers you forgiveness for your failings.

What happens to the christian that for whatever reason believes something is ok even if the bible can be read so as to indicate it isn't? Say a man that divorces his wife and later remarries for reasons other than infidelity?

And secondarily - you can know for yourself based on faith in what Christ said. But what can you know about any other person? Normally we simply say to them that if you confess with you mouth Jesus is Lord then you will be saved (in a nutshell). So what if they do all that but they arrive at a different conclusion about monogamous gay relationships that we do but everything else is spot on as we see it? Does that mean their confession or faith is null and void? They still are trusting in Christ are they not? Does trusting in Christ only count if you manage to get it all right in terms of the doctrines on sin? What if you've got it all right on doctrine but you have no self control and you are in an out of bed with a woman at least twice a week?

And which is worse, the fellow in a gay marriage faithful to the day he dies and living in every other way exactly as you and I think a Christian should live or the fellow that is straight but that drinks on the weekends and has been divorced 3 times and so on but still prays and tries to follow God and live a Christian life?

These are questions I struggle with on this topic. That and the fact that for gay people, the Gospel often is not very good news for them. Some try, some succeed in living celibate or heterosexual lives - I have had several friends over the years that did just that, but others give up because they just can't succeed and they either leave the church entirely or them end up like Buttigieg, living in a monogamous relationship and attending a church that will accept that.

It is all very uncomfortable, all very difficult, because like you I can't really see how the scripture can be seen as allowing for acting out homosexual attraction. But I don't think I can say with certainty that someone like Buttigieg is NOT a Christian because he sees that differently than I do.

Jim
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-29-2019, 11:35 AM.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Jim - CP doesnt base his confidence on what he has done. It is based on what Christ has done and the free gift given. It's like being confident your mom will have dinner for you when you get home. You didn't earn it, and you are not being boastful about yourself by telling someone dinner is waiting for you when you get home, but dinner will be there waiting for you nonetheless, because you are her son, and she is your mom.

Jim

Comment

Only in your dark foolish heart, Tassy. At least Trump is standing up against the slaughter of the innocents, and standing FOR religious liberty.
                      While at the same time giving despots that slaughter their own people and engage in unspeakable persecution of Christians opportunities for photo ops and creating border policies that are killing children there.

It's a very, very mixed bag CP where for many the bad far outweighs the good.

Jim

Comment

And which is worse, the fellow in a gay marriage faithful to the day he dies and living in every other way exactly as you and I think a Christian should live or the fellow that is straight but that drinks on the weekends and has been divorced 3 times and so on but still prays and tries to follow God and live a Christian life?
                        Just because the man in the gay "marriage" is content with the sin he's chosen to submit to, and in every other way he's doing the right thing, doesn't make living in that sin, living for that sin, any less sinful.

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        These are questions I struggle with on this topic. That and the fact that for gay people, the Gospel often is not very good news for them. Some try, some succeed in living celibate or heterosexual lives - I have had several friends over the years that did just that, but others give up because they just can't succeed and they either leave the church entirely or them end up like Buttigieg, living in a monogamous relationship and attending a church that will accept that.

It is all very uncomfortable, all very difficult, because like you I can't really see how the scripture can be seen as allowing for acting out homosexual attraction.
                        You know what was really uncomfortable and difficult? Professing Christ rather than Caesar, and being forced to live in catacombs or tortured and fed to wild animals. Professing Christ in North Korea where you can again expect torture, prison and execution. No one said professing Christ is easy, or that it wouldn't cause offense. We all struggle with sin. The man who struggles with homosexual desire isn't some rare magical animal. They're struggling with something we all struggle with, and that we will continue to struggle with until we are perfected in Christ. You know how many people I know left the faith because some sin or another was eating away at them? Hundreds and hundreds. The only reason this sin stands out is because it's one of few that our culture has successfully convinced so many people is a virtue rather than sin.

But I don't think I can say with certainty that someone like Buttigieg is NOT a Christian because he sees that differently than I do.
                        Well, scripture does say something about knowing them by their fruit, and it says something about judging sexually immoral people. Buttigieg may be convinced that he's living a righteous Christian life, but that's only because the church has largely given up trying to fight the world's lies, and in many places, has linked up with the world's wisdom over God's. I sincerely hope that Buttigieg is a Christian, and that I'll stand shoulder to shoulder with him in the second heaven and earth, but in the meantime, it appears he has a house that needs cleaning, and he needs to get out of that church that's poisoning his mind and telling him that his behavior is something to be proud of.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          After all your years on TWeb how is it you still have zero basic understanding of Christian Theology?

Especially something that is one of the most basic fundamentals of the Christianity.

I don't expect you to agree with Christianity, I do expect you to have learned something about what Christians believe.
                          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            Just because the man in the gay "marriage" is content with the sin he's chosen to submit to, and in every other way he's doing the right thing, doesn't make living in that sin, living for that sin, any less sinful.

You know what was really uncomfortable and difficult? Professing Christ rather than Caesar, and being forced to live in catacombs or tortured and fed to wild animals. Professing Christ in North Korea where you can again expect torture, prison and execution. No one said professing Christ is easy, or that it wouldn't cause offense. We all struggle with sin. The man who struggles with homosexual desire isn't some rare magical animal. They're struggling with something we all struggle with, and that we will continue to struggle with until we are perfected in Christ. You know how many people I know left the faith because some sin or another was eating away at them? Hundreds and hundreds. The only reason this sin stands out is because it's one of few that our culture has successfully convinced so many people is a virtue rather than sin.

Well, scripture does say something about knowing them by their fruit, and it says something about judging sexually immoral people. Buttigieg may be convinced that he's living a righteous Christian life, but that's only because the church has largely given up trying to fight the world's lies, and in many places, has linked up with the world's wisdom over God's. I sincerely hope that Buttigieg is a Christian, and that I'll stand shoulder to shoulder with him in the second heaven and earth, but in the meantime, it appears he has a house that needs cleaning, and he needs to get out of that church that's poisoning his mind and telling him that his behavior is something to be proud of.
                            The difficulty i referred to was not the difficulty of taking on celibacy if that is what is required. You are absolutely right that the cost of following Christ is often much greater than that. I was merely referring to the difficulty of sorting through all the various takes on the issue, and the difficulty of dealing with the topic itself. The topic is uncomfortable.

Jim
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-29-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

You could replace homosexuality with any other sin in this screed, and it would still be the same bad argument. There is no allowance in the Bible for excusing one particular sin just because we are otherwise living as we should.

People who love their sin more than they love God will be judged accordingly. This is another really bad argument.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                The problem with that comment is that we all accept things the scripture does not allow at one point or another depending on how literally it is read or depending on how we've been taught to read it. Divorce is not allowed, except for infidelity. Some would say never. Women are not allowed to teach men. Or even speak in a church service. They are to wait till they get home and ask their husbands. When the Southern Baptist convention formed, it formed because entire congregations believed the Bible supported them holding slaves. In Paul's day some people thought eating meat offered to idols was clearly forbidden, and others thought their freedom in Christ gave them the right not to care about whether the meat had been offered to an idol.

So he may have no pains of conscience, no aversion to it. There may be nothing at all in him condemning him.

For a long time I used to think God would necessarily open the eyes of such a person if they were truly seeking him. But what I've come to realize over the years is that just isn't the case at all. Sometimes people never catch on to their sin but they still are following Christ as best they can. What does God do with people like that? Aren't we ALL to one extent or another people like that? So don't we hope it's God's mercy that wins here rather than God's judgement? Isn't that what CP's profession that he fully trusted in Christ to welcome him into heaven means? It doesn't mean CP does everything he believes is right and because of that Jesus will welcome him. It doesn't mean everything CP believes is right IS right an THAT is why Jesus will welcome him. But it does mean that Christ's work is sufficient in spite of where and how CP doesn't measure up and that Christs work on the cross cover's CP's sin - known and unknown, willful and accidental.

Jim

Comment