Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Every time I read Anglican, I think "angler" and want to go fishing.
    So appropriate to the whole "fishers of men" trope.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Every time I read Anglican, I think "angler" and want to go fishing.
      It always makes me think of Father Patrick, the Irish Priest who always managed to inject his disdain of "The ANGLISH" into his sermon.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        Would it be inappropriate to mention that the Episcopalian Church causes a lot of head shaking against other members of the Anglican Communion in the rest of the world?
        Episcopal Church, actually. We haven't been that controversial but there have been disagreements between us and the Church of England. As can be said for every other denomination in Christendom.
        I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

• Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
          Episcopal Church, actually. We haven't been that controversial but there have been disagreements between us and the Church of England. As can be said for every other denomination in Christendom.
          "Episcopal Church" Noted. As to the rest - there's a lot of head shaking with regard to Canterbury too.
          But now that you mention it - there seem to be two "Episcopal Churches" forming up in America. One faction more or less adherent to Canterbury, and the other to Archbisop wossisname. Is that impression correct?
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

"Episcopal Church" Noted. As to the rest - there's a lot of head shaking with regard to Canterbury too.
            But now that you mention it - there seem to be two "Episcopal Churches" forming up in America. One faction more or less adherent to Canterbury, and the other to Archbisop wossisname. Is that impression correct?
            There's the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church of the United States. Neither have Archbishops, that would be the Catholic Church. We have Bishops and a Presiding Bishop (or primate) Michael Curry.
            I am Punkinhead.

Comment

There's the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church of the United States. Neither have Archbishops, that would be the Catholic Church. We have Bishops and a Presiding Bishop (or primate) Michael Curry.
              Just checked the background, too much confusion to sift through for me... Spong's lot. Ordinary Episcopalians, Traditional Anglican with leanings to Catholic ... I don't need to know all this stuff.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I think you somewhat misunderstand his question here. He's not saying that you have archbishops, but that branches in the US tend to be adherent to certain archbishops (one of which is Canterbury) - not sure how many archbishops the Anglican Communion contains as a whole.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Btw, you should probably understand that evangelical and Episcopal are not mutually exclusive terms as you vainly contend. There are numerous evangelical Episcopalians out there.
                  Yep! I serve with SEVERAL in Kairos Prison Ministry.
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                    Yep! I serve with SEVERAL in Kairos Prison Ministry.
                    Hey -- I need some free bible correspondence curriculum for a prisoner in an adjacent county - whatcha got?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Hey -- I need some free bible correspondence curriculum for a prisoner in an adjacent county - whatcha got?
                      Not sure if any of these will help - they are from a variety of denominations...

http://gbntv.org/resources/christian...dence-courses/
                      https://www.waterfordcoc.org/bible-c...ndence-courses
                      https://christianuniversity.org/free-courses/
                      http://ibtministries.org/pagevw.php?pgid=bcc.htm
                      https://www.biblicaltraining.org/
                      https://cpministries.org/mentorship-program/courses

Believe it or not, my son wanted to do this as part of his curriculum, so we did a little hunting. I had kept the list. He ultimately decided not to do it, but the list remains. The last one is NOT from the list. I was poking around a bit to see if any of these were no longer active and came across it.

FWIW...
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                        Not sure if any of these will help - they are from a variety of denominations...

http://gbntv.org/resources/christian...dence-courses/
                        https://www.waterfordcoc.org/bible-c...ndence-courses
                        https://christianuniversity.org/free-courses/
                        https://www.biblicaltraining.org/
                        https://cpministries.org/mentorship-program/courses

Believe it or not, my son wanted to do this as part of his curriculum, so we did a little hunting. I had kept the list. He ultimately decided not to do it, but the list remains. The last one is NOT from the list. I was poking around a bit to see if any of these were no longer active and came across it.

FWIW...
                        Ummmm... thanks!

Comment

Just checked the background, too much confusion to sift through for me... Spong's lot. Ordinary Episcopalians, Traditional Anglican with leanings to Catholic ... I don't need to know all this stuff.
                          That's true. Mind you, every Episcopalian I know denounced Spong as a heretic, myself included.
                          I am Punkinhead.

Comment

That's true. Mind you, every Episcopalian I know denounced Spong as a heretic, myself included.
                            I think I know how you feel, growing up Baptist 45 minutes from Westboro Baptist Church. (Though in that case, it's orthopraxy, not orthodoxy at issue.)
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Btw, you should probably understand that evangelical and Episcopal are not mutually exclusive terms as you vainly contend. There are numerous evangelical Episcopalians out there.
                              I spent 5 years in an Anglican Boarding School with daily Holy Communion and I'm fully aware of the High Church/Low Church dichotomy within the Anglican Communion. But the Low Church (Evangelical) wing is very much in the minority worldwide.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                I think you somewhat misunderstand his question here. He's not saying that you have archbishops, but that branches in the US tend to be adherent to certain archbishops (one of which is Canterbury) - not sure how many archbishops the Anglican Communion contains as a whole.
                                The Church of England (in the UK) has two archbishops...Canterbury and York..and a regional bishop in every diocese which owes allegiance to either of the two archbishops. This is the model for the Anglican Communion worldwide, including the Episcopal Church, except that in the US the senior bishop is known as the Presiding Bishop not Archbishop, but it's essentially the same role.
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment