Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The liberal world is proclaiming Buttigieg a "practicing Christian". Buttigieg appears to never have made that claim, regardless of how you define "practicing Christian".
    I'm not sure how this addresses what I posted.
    Tassman's claim is that Buttigieg, indeed, said those exact words.
    I'm not seeing that in the examples you cited, though they could uncharitably be interpreted that way.
    Buttigieg says precious little about his "faith" --- just about everything concerning his "faith" comes from others who never seem to be able to quote him directly. Just like Buttigieg never seems to have made any reference to the scriptures dealing with homosexuality - he just simply ignores them - despite Tassman's repeated claims that Buttigieg "interprets those scriptures differently".

It is the media and the left that proclaim Buttigieg's "Christianity" and his "faith", not he himself. The only reason Buttigieg's "faith" came up at all was to attack Pence's faith, despite Buttigieg's own claim that he doens't judge others.
    The referenced post here not only defines what Tassman means by "practising Christian" but also references Buttigieg himself talking about his faith.

Now I need a shower.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Your claim was that Buttigieg himself claimed to be a practicing Christian -- regardless of what "practicing Christian" means.
      Yes, he did. If not in those exact words, which you seem so hung-up about, certainly by implication as most people understand the term “practicing Christian”. Something I clarified in my previous post as referenced by OBP..

It seems, as he says, that you are arguing over semantics.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Yes, he did. If not in those exact words, which you seem so hung-up about, certainly by implication as most people understand the term “practicing Christian”. Something I clarified in my previous post as referenced by OBP..

It seems, as he says, that you are arguing over semantics.
        OBP is certainly entitled to his opinion. The point is, in fact, Buttigieg never said those exact words or anything like them. It's the media and the "interviewers" and his admirers who attribute those words to him, and boast of his faith. His "Christian testimony" is almost entirely second hand.

The very fact that you - an anti-Christian bigot - are singing his praises says far more about his choices regarding sexual orientation than it does his spiritual orientation.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

. The point is, in fact, Buttigieg never said those exact words or anything like them. It's the media and the "interviewers" and his admirers who attribute those words to him,
          What Buttigieg said was very much like “practicing Christian” as that term is generally understood.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

What Buttigieg said was very much like “practicing Christian” as that term is generally understood.
            A) You mean what people SAID he said.
            2) What he's actually doing - living a lifestyle of homosexuality and advocating for abortion at any point in the pregnancy - is NOT very much like "practicing Christian" as that term is generally understood.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

2) What he's actually doing - living a lifestyle of homosexuality and advocating for abortion at any point in the pregnancy - is NOT very much like "practicing Christian" as that term is generally understood.
              There's the rub. There really is a dearth of evidence to show that Buttigieg has ever made that claim himself. It all seems to come from how others describe him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                There's the rub. There really is a dearth of evidence to show that Buttigieg has ever made that claim himself. It all seems to come from how others describe him.
                It's simply the left and the media (I repeat myself) trying to solve the liberals' God Problem. They pitched God to the curb in their 2012 Party Platform, and now they want Him back on their own terms.

Comment

I mean what many reputable people, such as Fr Edward Beck and others, have “said he said” complete with direct quotes from Buttigieg himself...as previously linked.

It is not “generally understood” that way by Evangelical Christians certainly, as I’ve repeatedly said. But this does not necessarily apply to liberal Christians, as per the Episcopal Church to which Buttigieg belongs.

Comment

I mean what many reputable people, such as Fr Edward Beck and others, have “said he said” complete with direct quotes from Buttigieg himself...as previously linked.
                    And in ZERO of those quotes did he ever claim to be a "practicing Christian".

It is not “generally understood” that way by Evangelical Christians certainly, as I’ve repeatedly said. But this does not necessarily apply to liberal Christians, as per the Episcopal Church to which Buttigieg belongs.
                    So Buttigieg belongs (that hasn't been proven, actually - he "more or less" identifies with the Episcopal church) to an organization that pretty much believes anything goes, and whose national leadership openly mocked God, the trinity, and pretty much all things Christians hold dear, doesn't believe prayer is worth his time, and Buttigieg himself advocates for abortion at any stage of pregnancy.

No wonder you love him.

Comment

And in ZERO of those quotes did he ever claim to be a "practicing Christian".

You’re going in circles. We’ve long established that your notion of “practicing Christian” is different from that of Buttigieg’s.

Comment

You’re going in circles.
                        Actually, I've been quite consistent. You have never ONCE demonstrated that Buttigieg, himself, claimed to be a "practicing Christian" - regardless of how that's interpreted.

We’ve long established that your notion of “practicing Christian” is different from that of Buttigieg’s.
                        We've long established that the ONLY reason Buttigieg's "Christianity" is acceptable by you is that he's a practicing homosexual, which supports my allegation that you are nothing more than an anti-Christian pro-homosexual bigot.

Comment

• So, not only does Buttigieg use his incredibly thin veil of Christianity to attack the faith of Trump and Pence, he's now using his "war record" to attack candidates who have not served (and totally ignoring some who did)...

Warrior-Mayor Pete’s Sanctimonious Chest Thumping

If he wants to trash Trump for skipping Vietnam, then maybe his own war record should be opened to scrutiny.

As another Memorial Day came and went, Mayor Pete Buttigieg was criticizing President Donald Trump for reportedly considering pardons for several service members accused of war crimes. He called the idea “slander against veterans that could only come from somebody who never served.” The 37-year-old Democrat mocked the president, saying, “I don’t have a problem standing up to somebody who was working on Celebrity Apprentice when I was packing my bags for Afghanistan.” Mayor Pete also defended NFL national anthem protests, declaring, “Trump would get it if he had served.” He claimed he’d “put his life on the line” for those rights.

Buttigieg gets away unchallenged with these shots because critical thought on military service is the third rail of journalism. But context matters. Buttigieg did all of six months in 2014 as a reservist deep inside Bagram Airfield, mostly as a personal driver for his boss, locked and loaded inside a Toyota Land Cruiser. It is unlikely he ever ate a cold meal in Afghanistan.

On the campaign trail, Buttigieg refers to himself “as the first veteran president since George H.W. Bush.” Meanwhile, Democratic presidential candidate Seth Moulton was a platoon commander in the initial company of Marines that entered Baghdad in 2003, returning for a total of four combat deployments. Tulsi Gabbard did two full tours in the Middle East, one inside Iraq. She volunteered to become the first state official to step down from public office to serve in a war zone, 10 years before Buttigieg. So if you wanna measure for size, bro, the line forms behind Moulton and Gabbard.

Everyone at war has different experiences, and unless you’re the dude who held bin Laden’s still-beating heart in his hand (and then took a bite out of it), someone had it tougher than you. But Mayor Pete is milking his service for all it is worth politically, stretching a short tour into civics lessons he suggests can’t be learned any other way.

But if Mayor Pete is going to make his service such a part of his public biography—and if he wants to invite comparisons among himself, other candidates, and other presidents—then his short military tenure cannot be treated as bulletproof. As one veteran put it, “If he’s going to use his combat time as a discriminator, then it gets to be evaluated.”

Veteran and podcaster Pete Turner writes, “He went to war: that’s commendable and honorable,” continuing, “But that’s where it stops. People with his pedigree of deployment acknowledge that they spent a short tour and barely got away from their desk. They certainly don’t lean on that service as a credential for presidential candidacy.”

Mayor Pete, however, might be the first to suggest that even a little service produces a better man than none at all, which clearly informs his opinion of the man dubbed “President Bone Spurs.” Buttigieg, alongside the The New York Times (which interviewed the aging daughters of the now-dead doctor who diagnosed Trump), has called that medical diagnosis a fraud and “an assault on the honor of this country.”

Maybe so. But for those who like comparisons, current frontrunner Joe Biden received five student draft deferments, the same number as Dick Cheney, and in 1968, when Biden’s student status was wrapping up, was medically reclassified as “not available” due to having had asthma as a teenager. In his autobiography, Biden describes his active childhood, being a lifeguard, and playing high school football. His vice presidential physicals mention multiple aneurysms. Asthma, no. And there’s no record of The New York Times tracking down Biden’s dead doctor’s daughters to investigate medical draft fraud.

If military service is important and Vietnam-era medical deferments open to question, maybe Mayor Pete should be talking about Biden as well as Trump. And if you are now learning about Biden’s multiple deferments for the first time, maybe you should ask yourself why......

Comment

So, not only does Buttigieg use his incredibly thin veil of Christianity to attack the faith of Trump and Pence, he's now using his "war record" to attack candidates who have not served (and totally ignoring some who did)...

Warrior-Mayor Pete’s Sanctimonious Chest Thumping
                            At least Buttigieg has a military record. I guess he was just incredibly lucky not to have bone spurs in his foot to prevent him serving his country.
                            Last edited by Tassman; 06-04-2019, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Actually, I've been quite consistent.
                              ...if you consider mindless repetition to be consistency.

You have never ONCE demonstrated that Buttigieg, himself, claimed to be a "practicing Christian" - regardless of how that's interpreted.
                              Semantics. What Buttigieg said was very much like “practicing Christian” as that term is generally understood...as has been previously linked several times.

We've long established that the ONLY reason Buttigieg's "Christianity" is acceptable by you is that he's a practicing homosexual, which supports my allegation that you are nothing more than an anti-Christian pro-homosexual bigot.
                              No, my "long established argument has been: "...that there’s often a conflict of scriptural interpretation between Christians"(#110) for which I provided numerous examples. .

Comment

...if you consider mindless repetition to be consistency.

Semantics. What Buttigieg said was very much like “practicing Christian” as that term is generally understood...as has been previously linked several times.

No, my "long established argument has been: "...that there’s often a conflict of scriptural interpretation between Christians"(#110) for which I provided numerous examples. .
                                Of course - there are the Bible verses which are too unseemly to acknowledge - John 14:21, 23; 1 Cor 2:9 and a few others.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment