Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    I didn't say it did. But obviously Buttigieg’s interpretation of scripture is different to yours and without an infallible authority to determine which is the one true, correct interpretation, his is just as valid as yours.
    I interpret this to be Tassman admitting he is an idiot.

My interpretation is just as valid as anyone else's.

Comment

I didn't say it did.
      So you were just farting ignorance again.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Buttigieg is the Democrats' flavour of the month. Just don't ask what he stands for

Pete Buttigieg is a man with a lot of ‘gold stars’ on his résumé, but why should anybody actually trust him to be on their side?

This is an interesting article that appears to lay out a case for Mayor Pete promoting himself, doing and saying whatever he needs to do and say to be liked.

For being the mayor of the fourth-largest city in Indiana, Pete Buttigieg has been shockingly successful in carving out a national political profile. Buttigieg has only just formally announced that he is running for president, but already he is placing near the top of some polls, and being given cover stories in national magazines, touted as a “wonder boy” and the “Democrats’ heartland hope”. But for all the buzz, an important question still hangs over Buttigieg: what, exactly does he stand for?
        US presidential candidates can’t afford to ignore welfare reform
        Zaid Jilani
        Read more

Himself, mostly. The New York Times says Buttigieg puts “storytelling first, policy details later”. Media coverage of Buttigieg dwells on what his favorite socks are or his dogs’ personalities. Pete is all about Pete: Buttigieg is frequently evasive about his actual substantive agenda, preferring rhetoric about “freedom”, “democracy” and “security”. His campaign’s branding and graphic design have been hailed as “radical”. As for his actual policies … he’s working on them.

Buttigieg represents the apex of a kind of “politics of demographics”. Why is the mayor of a small city suddenly on the national political radar? It’s not as if Buttigieg’s tenure in office has been especially noteworthy – his signature policies were technocratic improvements like improving sewer technology along with some fairly middle-of-the road, even conservative, development initiatives. Buttigieg is not attracting attention for anything he has done, but for who he is. He’s a man who checks all the right boxes.

In fact, that’s even how he pitches himself. Asked what sets him apart as a candidate, Buttigieg says:

“You have a handful of candidates from the middle of the country, but very few of them are young. You have a handful of young candidates, but very few of them are executives. We have a handful of executives but none of them are veterans, and so it’s a question of: what alignment of attributes do you want to have?”

In every profile of Buttigieg, you’ll inevitably hear the following facts: he went to Harvard, he was a Rhodes Scholar, he served in Afghanistan, he became a mayor before he was 30, he’s gay and he speaks half a dozen languages. These, along with some impressively well-constructed stump speech rhetoric, are s Buttigieg’s sole claims to deserving the presidency. As he puts it, he has the right “alignment of attributes”.

But politics shouldn’t be about people’s attributes, it should be about their values and actions. Buttigieg is a man with a lot of “gold stars” on his résumé, but why should anybody actually trust him to be on their side? (Amusingly enough, in his campaign book Shortest Way Home, Buttigieg describes an incident in which a voter asked him how he could prove that he wasn’t just another self-serving politician. Buttigieg couldn’t come up with an answer.) ...

Buttigieg is clearly a skilled politician. He knows exactly the right words to say to his audience to get them on his side – it’s not surprising that a man who prides himself for being multilingual can slip into the dialect of progressivism or conservatism depending on which group he is trying to court. But he’s a classic “empty suit”, a package without contents. He stands for nothing except his own advancement. Let’s hope his time as the Democratic “flavor of the month” is rapidly coming to an end.

But he's publicly gay, so that get's Tassman's stamp of approval!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Pence also broadly has a reputation for being solid on morality. Trump joked that Pence "wants to hang the gays" awhile back. I don't believe that of course but I bring it up as evidence that people associate hin with that issue.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            So you were just farting ignorance again.
            Uh no, I was questioning your “fart” whereby you falsely accused me of arguing Buttigieg was a “better authority on the Bible than anybody else? I clearly wasn’t.

And I note that in your typically dishonest way you snipped the relevant part of the argument, in which I said that Buttigieg’s interpretation of scripture is obviously different to yours. That’s all I said. That doesn’t make him a “better authority on the Bible than anybody else” so why do you imply that I said that? Answer: because you are dishonest.

Gotta love these Evangelicals. No wonder they put lying Trump into power. He’s one of them.
            Last edited by Tassman; 04-18-2019, 12:02 AM.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Uh no, I was questioning your “fart” whereby you falsely accused me of arguing Buttigieg was a “better authority on the Bible than anybody else? I clearly wasn’t.
              It was a QUESTION, Drama Queen - "So, tell me, what makes him a better authority on the Bible than anybody else?" Note the funny little mark at the end of the sentence.

And I note that in your typically dishonest way you snipped the relevant part of the argument,
              And I note your typical Drama Queenery in falsely accusing me of dishonesty for responding to the portions to which I wish to respond.

in which I said that Buttigieg’s interpretation of scripture is obviously different to yours. That’s all I said.
              And I asked a question, goofus - I did NOT make an accusation - I asked, again, "So, tell me, what makes him a better authority on the Bible than anybody else?"

That doesn’t make him a “better authority on the Bible than anybody else” so why do you imply that I said that?
              I asked you a QUESTION, Drama Queen.

Answer: because you are dishonest.
              Only a DRAMA QUEEN would fall to pieces over a question, turning it into a "false accusation".

Gotta love these Evangelicals. No wonder they put lying Trump into power. He’s one of them.
              Gotta love these Drama Queens who can't even handle a simple question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                It was a QUESTION, Drama Queen -
                If it was an answer you wanted, reverend, why did you snip the one I gave?
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• I allow myself to think that even those who claim to take the Bible on its' word will need to go for something a bit different when it comes to certain parts of the Bible:

Luke 14:26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.”
                  It is the usual "mess" that in some cases context helps them find a way out. Other things clearly relate to the culture, history or whatever in their interpretation. When and where this applies is something they cannot give a convincing account of. It changes through history though they claim to believe in an everlasting truth. I am so much more convinced by those who are a bit more hesitant before they judge others in or out. Seems to be so much more in the spirit of what Jesus said as well (depending on the interpretation of course :-))
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    Pence also broadly has a reputation for being solid on morality. [...]
                    He might have such a reputation but does not deserve it. The person who refuses to be alone in a room with a woman who is not his wife is ok with separating children from their parents. He remains silent in the face of the evil and the lies. He is definitely not solid on morality. He might have been once.
                    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      He might have such a reputation but does not deserve it. The person who refuses to be alone in a room with a woman who is not his wife is ok with separating children from their parents. He remains silent in the face of the evil and the lies. He is definitely not solid on morality. He might have been once.
                      We have been "separating children from parents" every time we arrest someone and especially when we send them to jail.

And never forget that it was the Obamessiah who not only separated children from parents but started putting them in cages but the left didn't care a whit about that. So enough with your crocodile tears of fake indignation.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        We have been "separating children from parents" every time we arrest someone and especially when we send them to jail.

And never forget that it was the Obamessiah who not only separated children from parents but started putting them in cages but the left didn't care a whit about that. So enough with your crocodile tears of fake indignation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36475[/ATTACH]
                        Could you please explain why this shows Pence right?

He should not be held accountable because others did the same? How is that not relativism? Let's see if you can answer the question without relying on relativism and personal attacks on me (who by the way never supported Obama).

Comment

I allow myself to think that even those who claim to take the Bible on its' word will need to go for something a bit different when it comes to certain parts of the Bible:

It is the usual "mess" that in some cases context helps them find a way out. Other things clearly relate to the culture, history or whatever in their interpretation. When and where this applies is something they cannot give a convincing account of. It changes through history though they claim to believe in an everlasting truth. I am so much more convinced by those who are a bit more hesitant before they judge others in or out. Seems to be so much more in the spirit of what Jesus said as well (depending on the interpretation of course :-))
                          Yes, it is the interpretation of scripture that makes the difference, e.g. the Southern Baptists once interpreted scripture in such a way as to justify slavery, renouncing it officially only in 1995.

And the likes of Buttigieg, as a practicing Christian, interpret scripture in such a way that homosexuality is OK with a loving God, just as the likes of the former slavery justifying SBC proclaim the very opposite.

Comment

If it was an answer you wanted, reverend, why did you snip the one I gave?
                            You made an ignorant statement - that Mayor Pete's interpretation of scripture was different. So, do you actually have a point? Different doesn't mean correct or better or right or true.

Comment

• Interesting input from a gay black conservative Republican Christian...

I’m someone those on the left would have you believe doesn’t exist: a gay, black, conservative, Republican Christian. I’m glad that anti-gay bias doesn’t seem to be hurting South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg in his campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination, but I plan to vote to re-elect President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence in November 2020.

It’s an important sign of progress that Buttigieg’s sexual orientation, along with his marriage to another man, isn’t considered disqualifying in his bid for the presidency. It certainly would have been a few years ago. Thankfully, more and more Americans are realizing that sexual orientation is irrelevant unless you are looking for a romantic partner.

I know Buttigieg could make history by becoming the first openly gay major party presidential nominee – just as Hillary Clinton made history as the first female nominee and Barack Obama made history as the first black nominee and president.

But while I hope no one opposes Mayor Pete’s White House bid just because he is gay, I’m not ready to support him just because we share that one demographic characteristic.

And I think it’s unfortunate that Buttigieg has tried to portray Vice President Pence as anti-gay. Based on my own research, the work of the Log Cabin Republicans (an LGBT group) and my own experience recently meeting Pence, I know he is absolutely not anti-gay. That false accusation needs to be rejected once and for all.

But isn’t Pence an evangelical conservative Christian? Guilty as charged. So that means he must hate all gays and lesbians and wants to take away our rights, doesn’t it? Actually, no, it doesn’t.

Comment

He might have such a reputation but does not deserve it. The person who refuses to be alone in a room with a woman who is not his wife...
                                That's a rather skewed representation of his position regarding "the Billy Graham rule". Those of us who subscribe to this practice don't "refuse" to be alone in a room with a woman not our wives, but make reasonable attempts not to. It's also an over simplification that it's about "not being in the same room" -- I am often "in the same room" with a woman not my wife, but with safeguards like my secretary being in an adjacent room within earshot, or some other practical arrangement.

Comment