Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    A "practicing" Christians is more than a church goer. It is someone who takes their faith and the bible seriously, and tries to live their life according to the way God tells us to in the bible. And will believe the whole bible, not just the parts they like. They practice (live) their faith. Not just talk about it.
    This has been the problem all along. You and CP have your own understanding of what it means to be a “practicing Christian”, i.e. the Evangelical view, whereas liberal Christians have a different understanding of what it means to be a Christian. And you reject the latter as “true” Christianity. You are entitled to your view just as liberal Christians such as Buttigieg, are entitled to theirs. "You Will Know Them by Their Fruits".
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      This has been the problem all along.
      Lemme guess, Tassman is about to do another kabuki dance.

You and CP have your own understanding of what it means to be a “practicing Christian”, i.e. the Evangelical view, whereas liberal Christians have a different understanding of what it means to be a Christian.
      And you, as an anti-Christian bigot, have your own view.

Buttigieg is loud and proud about his commitment to living in a homosexual relationship contrary to the clear teaching of the Bible.
      Buttigieg does not "interpret" those verses "differently" - he flat out ignores them.
      Buttigieg is loud and proud about his commitment to the murder of unborn children with virtually ZERO limits.
      Buttigieg is DEAD QUIET on any commitment to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
      Buttigieg does not believe in prayer.
      Buttigieg considers himself "more or less an Anglican".
      Buttigieg never says he "joined" the Episcopal Church, but was "drawn to" it as community.
      Buttigieg's own brother-in-law (a Pastor) believes this whole "faith" thing is a political stunt.
      Buttigieg claims he won't judge other Christians, yet that's what started this whole "deep faith" scam.
      Buttigieg does not claim to be a "practicing Christian" - that's a label given to him by others, including anti-Christian bigots.

No wonder an anti-Christian bigot like you considers THAT a "practicing Christian".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Buttigieg claims he won't judge other Christians, yet that's what started this whole "deep faith" scam.
        If you have worded that correctly, Buttigieg has made the claim to be Christian.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          If you have worded that correctly, Buttigieg has made the claim to be Christian.
          I'd have to find the wording, but I bet you're right -- it wasn't "other Christians". I'll hunt down the quote. (I think it was "won't judge another's faith")'

ETA: Here ya go....

“I'm reluctant to comment on another person's faith, but I would say it is hard to look at this president's actions and believe that they're the actions of somebody who believes in God,” Buttigieg said. “I just don't understand how you can be as worshipful of your own self as he is and be prepared to humble yourself before God. I've never seen him humble himself before anyone."

I hereby revise and extend my remarks!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I'd have to find the wording, but I bet you're right -- it wasn't "other Christians". I'll hunt down the quote. (I think it was "won't judge another's faith")'

ETA: Here ya go....

“I'm reluctant to comment on another person's faith, but I would say it is hard to look at this president's actions and believe that they're the actions of somebody who believes in God,” Buttigieg said. “I just don't understand how you can be as worshipful of your own self as he is and be prepared to humble yourself before God. I've never seen him humble himself before anyone."

I hereby revise and extend my remarks!
            And this, in attacking Pence...

So, naturally, Buttigieg is attacking Pence as a homophobic bigot nearly every day on the campaign trail. Appearing on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Buttigieg sneered, “He’s nice. If he were here, you would think he’s a nice guy to your face. But he’s also fanatical.” Speaking at the LGBTQ Victory Fund National Champagne Brunch in Washington, Buttigieg tore into Pence’s supposed intolerance: “That’s the thing I wish the Mike Pences of the world would understand. That if you got a problem with who I am, your problem is not with me — your quarrel, sir, is with my creator.” This week, Buttigieg tweeted, clearly in reference to Pence, “People will often be polite to you in person, while advancing policies that harm you and your family. You will be polite to them in turn, but you need not stand for such harms. Instead, you push back, honestly and emphatically. So it goes, in the public square.”

But he's reluctant to comment on another person's faith. You shall know him by his fruit.

Comment

• It's possible I've accomplished what Tassman has so miserably failed to do --- find any actual quote of Buttigieg saying he's a practicing Christian.

I found THIS!!!!

After all, he quite rightly stated of Chick-fil-A, “I do not approve of their politics, but I kind of approve of their chicken.”

Perhaps he's a practicing Christian after all!!!!

Comment

And this, in attacking Pence...

So, naturally, Buttigieg is attacking Pence as a homophobic bigot nearly every day on the campaign trail. Appearing on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Buttigieg sneered, “He’s nice. If he were here, you would think he’s a nice guy to your face. But he’s also fanatical.” Speaking at the LGBTQ Victory Fund National Champagne Brunch in Washington, Buttigieg tore into Pence’s supposed intolerance: “That’s the thing I wish the Mike Pences of the world would understand. That if you got a problem with who I am, your problem is not with me — your quarrel, sir, is with my creator.” This week, Buttigieg tweeted, clearly in reference to Pence, “People will often be polite to you in person, while advancing policies that harm you and your family. You will be polite to them in turn, but you need not stand for such harms. Instead, you push back, honestly and emphatically. So it goes, in the public square.”

But he's reluctant to comment on another person's faith. You shall know him by his fruit.
                That's basically what he's saying...
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  That's basically what he's saying...
                  He who?

Comment

He who?
                    Buttigieg. He is inconsistent in saying "won't comment about another person's faith" - but he is basically doing what you are doing - noting that you can know them by their fruits.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Buttigieg. He is inconsistent in saying "won't comment about another person's faith" - but he is basically doing what you are doing - noting that you can know them by their fruits.
                      No. Not even close. But what "fruit" does Buttigieg have that demonstrates he's a Christian?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        This has been the problem all along. You and CP have your own understanding of what it means to be a “practicing Christian”, i.e. the Evangelical view, whereas liberal Christians have a different understanding of what it means to be a Christian. And you reject the latter as “true” Christianity. You are entitled to your view just as liberal Christians such as Buttigieg, are entitled to theirs. "You Will Know Them by Their Fruits".
                        No Tassman. a "practicing" anybody would be someone who lives their convictions. A practicing Doctor would be one who is actually doing the word a doctor is supposed to do. A practicing jew would be one who is living their life according to the tenets of Judaism. A practicing Christian is one who lives their lives by the tenets of Christianity. That isn't "my understanding" that is normal everyday English.

As far as we can tell Buttigeig isn't even living as a practicing Christian according to liberal Christianity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          No Tassman. a "practicing" anybody would be someone who lives their convictions. A practicing Doctor would be one who is actually doing the word a doctor is supposed to do. A practicing jew would be one who is living their life according to the tenets of Judaism. A practicing Christian is one who lives their lives by the tenets of Christianity. That isn't "my understanding" that is normal everyday English.

As far as we can tell Buttigeig isn't even living as a practicing Christian according to liberal Christianity.
                          Which is obviously why he "felt drawn to" (but we don't actually know that he ever actually joined or attends) one of the most liberal denominations on the planet, and, even then, the closest he appears to come to saying he's a Christian is that he "felt more-or-less Anglican".

Comment

No. Not even close. But what "fruit" does Buttigieg have that demonstrates he's a Christian?
                            I don't believe I said anything about whether or not Buttigieg is or is not a Christian - not would I ever begin to make statements to that effect. I'm atheist. I have no business telling other people what criteria they have to meet to qualify as a member of any particular belief system. That is between the person and the members of the belief system they claim.

Comment

I don't believe I said anything about whether or not Buttigieg is or is not a Christian - not would I ever begin to make statements to that effect. I'm atheist. I have no business telling other people what criteria they have to meet to qualify as a member of any particular belief system. That is between the person and the members of the belief system they claim.
                              Yet, here you are.

Comment

Yet, here you are.

Comment