Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    And your source for this is...?
    He probably has one, but isn't willing to post it.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Gotta love you squabbling, judgmental Christians.
      Says the anti-Christian bigot who's only here to squabble, accuse, deflect, judge, distort.... I should know better than to trust a single thing you type.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Cause he wants our heads to explode.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You are fixated on the word “practicing”, which has particular meaning for Evangelicals. Namely: “responding in repentance and faith to Jesus Christ as his personal Savior and Lord". This is not necessarily the same standard for liberal Christians such as Buttigieg and much of the Episcopal Church.

As I’ve argued all along, you are judging Buttigieg by a standard that applies to your brand of Christianity not his. The Catholic Church applies a different standard again, which relates to being a Christian church with a hierarchy of priests and bishops under the pope, a liturgy centered in the Mass, veneration of the Virgin Mary and saints, clerical celibacy, and a body of dogma including transubstantiation and papal infallibility. Up until Vatican II you lot were deemed heretics destined for hell...just as you are consigning Buttigieg and liberal Christianity to perdition for their "erroneous" beliefs. There's no difference in principle.

Gotta love you squabbling, judgmental Christians.
          Obvious deflection is obvious.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I have searched high and low -- it appears the ONLY reason he was "drawn to" the Episcopal Church is because they are accepting of his homosexuality.

There is ZERO reference to his "faith" on his official website.
            He has made statements questioning the practice of prayer.
            His partner's brother mentions concern over the rejection of Christ, and claims this whole "faith" thing is a campaign ruse.
            There is no evidence that he ever joined the Episcopal Church.
            There is no evidence that he actually attends the Episcopal Church.
            There is no evidence that he ever refers to the Bible with regards to his lifestyle choice.

Tass and Jimmy have been unable to produce even ONE quote where Buttigieg even suggests he's a Christian, or - a lower bar - a practicing Episcopalian.

It appears the media has just 'ordained' him a Christian because he'd be the "right kind" of Christian - one who ignores scripture and paints Jesus as loving and forgiving and accepting of homosexuality.
            2 Timothy 4:3
            For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear
            ---
            Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Comment

It's from Wikipedia which is citing something buried way down deep in a story from the Indianapolis Monthly:

Source: Pete Buttigieg Has His Eye On The Prize

Asked if he thinks he would struggle with evangelical voters in states such as Iowa, he cites deep Episcopal faith in a way that values voters could understand. (He attends Episcopal Cathedral of St. James in South Bend.) “There is just a way to bring it back to the values that are actually discussed the most in scripture,” Buttigieg told me back in October at Fiddler’s. “I mean, think about foot-washing. Feet are gross, and one of the enduring images of Christianity is when the divine comes to Earth, he occupies himself with service in the most humbling way, of those who are most humble. And right now, in our leadership, we have the opposite. We have this idea that those in political service need to make sure that their powerful allies succeed, and it’s just not … it’s not the Christianity that I get in church or in scripture.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                It's from Wikipedia which is citing something buried way down deep in a story from the Indianapolis Monthly:

Source: Pete Buttigieg Has His Eye On The Prize

Asked if he thinks he would struggle with evangelical voters in states such as Iowa, he cites deep Episcopal faith in a way that values voters could understand. (He attends Episcopal Cathedral of St. James in South Bend.) “There is just a way to bring it back to the values that are actually discussed the most in scripture,” Buttigieg told me back in October at Fiddler’s. “I mean, think about foot-washing. Feet are gross, and one of the enduring images of Christianity is when the divine comes to Earth, he occupies himself with service in the most humbling way, of those who are most humble. And right now, in our leadership, we have the opposite. We have this idea that those in political service need to make sure that their powerful allies succeed, and it’s just not … it’s not the Christianity that I get in church or in scripture.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Works for me, even though it's second-hand.

sigpic

Comment

Because THAT was your claim.
                  My claim, supported by several links, was that Buttigieg considers himself a practicing Episcopalian and committed to the essential message of Christianity as he understands it to be.

“he cites deep Episcopal faith in a way that values voters could understand. (He attends Episcopal Cathedral of St. James in South Bend.) “There is just a way to bring it back to the values that are actually discussed the most in scripture”

https://www.indianapolismonthly.com/...tigieg-feature (Courtesy of rogue)

It is you who limits “practicing Christian” to the Evangelical sense of the word…but this is not how liberal Christians like Buttigieg use it. In fact, many “practicing Christians” do not. This, apparently is sufficient for you to deny that such people are “real” Christians.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

My claim, supported by several links, was that Buttigieg considers himself a practicing Episcopalian and committed to the essential message of Christianity as he understands it to be.

“he cites deep Episcopal faith in a way that values voters could understand. (He attends Episcopal Cathedral of St. James in South Bend.) “There is just a way to bring it back to the values that are actually discussed the most in scripture”

It is you who limits “practicing Christian” to the Evangelical sense of the word…but this is not how liberal Christians like Buttigieg use it. In fact, many “practicing Christians” do not. This, apparently is sufficient for you to deny that such people are “real” Christians.
                    And what? "Practicing Christian" should be open slather for anyone who wants to call himself a Christian? That isn't a (lack of) standard that can be accepted by anyone sane.
                    Or perhaps "Practicing Christian" should be open to anyone you consider to be a "practicing Christian"? You don't have the prescribed credentials that would make your call credible.

What we are left with is an evaluation of whether a person claiming to be a practicing Christian meets the minimum (at least) standards of Christian as defined by Holy Writ - and opinions will vary with regard to what can be considered valid evaluations.
                    Last edited by tabibito; 05-29-2019, 05:15 AM.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

LOL, now it has morphed into "Practicing EPISCOPALIAN" instead of "Practicing Christian"

You crack me up Tassman. Your story keeps changing post by post and you try to claim that it was your claim all along, when we can all see what you posted before! I think they call that "gas lighting" - when you try to sell someone on a false reality.

--
                      Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      My argument was that the interpretation of scripture varies e.g. the likes of Buttigieg, as a practicing Christian, interprets scripture in such a way that homosexuality is OK with a loving God.
                      Just as the likes of Buttigieg, as a practicing Christian, interpret scripture in such a way that homosexuality is OK with a loving God.

Comment

My claim, supported by several links...
                        Which claim? The one you keep trying to morph into something else because you're too dishonest to admit your "practicing Christian" claim was bogus?

It appears absolutely impossible for you to admit "OK, I SHOULD have said....."

It is you who limits “practicing Christian” to the Evangelical sense of the word…but this is not how liberal Christians like Buttigieg use it. In fact, many “practicing Christians” do not.
                        Look, you ignorant jackass - it doesn't matter HOW one defines "practicing Christian" -- the fact is that, no matter HOW it is defined, you can not produce a single example of Buttigieg ever making that claim, which is what you have said repeatedly.

At this point I'm just going to have to assume you're a serial prevaricator of the lowest order.

This, apparently is sufficient for you to deny that such people are “real” Christians.
                        And this would be another lie - I have NEVER said Buttigieg was not a Christian.

I'm done with this - unless you keep bringing it up.

Comment

- I have NEVER said Buttigieg was not a Christian.
                          And yet:

“the presidential candidate and South Bend, Indiana, mayor spoke candidly about his sexuality, emphasizing how his gay identity is intertwined with his faith. A key point he emphasized: being gay is not a personal choice. “That’s the thing that I wish the Mike Pences of the world would understand,” Buttigieg said. “That if you have a problem with who I am, your problem is not with me. Your quarrel, sir, is with my creator.”

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...aith-sexuality

And it was to this which you took exception dismissing the notion that Buttigieg could be a "real" Christian along with endless quotes from Evangelical "experts" to this effect to back your claim. And all this despite my primary argument, going back to #110, which was not who’s got Christianity right or wrong (I’m an atheist, why would I care), but Quote:

“Merely noting that there’s often a conflict of scriptural interpretation between Christians”...later citing such differences of interpretation re slavery, the role of women and etc... all of which you ignored in favor of your moronic fixation about being a "committed Christian".
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

And yet:
                            You're not a stupid person, Tass.

Your anti-Christian bigotry causes you to say some really stupid stuff, then your insolent arrogant pride won't let you back down.

Your claim was that Buttigieg himself claimed to be a practicing Christian -- regardless of what "practicing Christian" means.
                            My argument was that the interpretation of scripture varies e.g. the likes of Buttigieg, as a practicing Christian, interprets scripture in such a way that homosexuality is OK with a loving God.
                            I could ot care less whether or not Buttigieg is a “practicing Christian”. But he claims to be...
                            I don’t care whether or not Buttigieg is a “practicing Christian but he does,...
                            What I’ve been arguing about is Buttigieg’s belief that he is a “practicing Christian”...
                            ....Buttigieg claims to be a “practicing Christian”...

You have failed to give even ONE example that Buttigieg said any such thing.

You're really not helping yourself with all your kabuki theater.

Comment

• I'm a little unclear on what's being argued here. In my estimation, "practicing Christian" is fairly nebulous and can be considered synonymous with "church-goer" - and it does appear that Buttigieg attends (an Episcopalian) church (from the story rogue06 linked). Buttigieg may not have said those exact words, but it appears that we're squabbling over semantics.

sigpic

Comment

I'm a little unclear on what's being argued here. In my estimation, "practicing Christian" is fairly nebulous and can be considered synonymous with "church-goer" - and it does appear that Buttigieg attends (an Episcopalian) church (from the story rogue06 linked).
                                The liberal world is proclaiming Buttigieg a "practicing Christian". Buttigieg appears to never have made that claim, regardless of how you define "practicing Christian".

Buttigieg may not have said those exact words, but it appears that we're squabbling over semantics.
                                Tassman's claim is that Buttigieg, indeed, said those exact words.

Buttigieg says precious little about his "faith" --- just about everything concerning his "faith" comes from others who never seem to be able to quote him directly. Just like Buttigieg never seems to have made any reference to the scriptures dealing with homosexuality - he just simply ignores them - despite Tassman's repeated claims that Buttigieg "interprets those scriptures differently".

It is the media and the left that proclaim Buttigieg's "Christianity" and his "faith", not he himself. The only reason Buttigieg's "faith" came up at all was to attack Pence's faith, despite Buttigieg's own claim that he doens't judge others.

Comment