Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Yeah right, and CP, though he says he's a christian Pastor, for all we know he may very well be a satan worshipper.
    I'm pretty certain that isn't a liberal Democrat.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I found an article that claimed that Buttigieg is outspoken about his faith. However, I can't find anything in the article itself that actually demonstrates that to be true. You would think if anything was available, it would have been quoted.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...sivism/586810/
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I found an article that claimed that Buttigieg is outspoken about his faith. However, I can't find anything in the article itself that actually demonstrates that to be true. You would think if anything was available, it would have been quoted.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...sivism/586810/
        I have searched high and low -- it appears the ONLY reason he was "drawn to" the Episcopal Church is because they are accepting of his homosexuality.

There is ZERO reference to his "faith" on his official website.
        He has made statements questioning the practice of prayer.
        His partner's brother mentions concern over the rejection of Christ, and claims this whole "faith" thing is a campaign ruse.
        There is no evidence that he ever joined the Episcopal Church.
        There is no evidence that he actually attends the Episcopal Church.
        There is no evidence that he ever refers to the Bible with regards to his lifestyle choice.

Tass and Jimmy have been unable to produce even ONE quote where Buttigieg even suggests he's a Christian, or - a lower bar - a practicing Episcopalian.

It appears the media has just 'ordained' him a Christian because he'd be the "right kind" of Christian - one who ignores scripture and paints Jesus as loving and forgiving and accepting of homosexuality.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          ...the "right kind" of Christian - one who ignores scripture and paints Jesus as loving and forgiving and accepting of homosexuality.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yeah right, and CP, though he says he's a christian Pastor, for all we know he may very well be a satan worshipper.
            Well, you've never been the sharpest tool in the box of crayolas, so...

And I'm an EASTER WORSHIPER, dang it!!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I'm pretty certain that isn't a liberal Democrat.

I know, that's one reason I question his christianity.

Comment

I have searched high and low -- it appears the ONLY reason he was "drawn to" the Episcopal Church is because they are accepting of his homosexuality.

There is ZERO reference to his "faith" on his official website.
                He has made statements questioning the practice of prayer.
                His partner's brother mentions concern over the rejection of Christ, and claims this whole "faith" thing is a campaign ruse.
                There is no evidence that he ever joined the Episcopal Church.
                There is no evidence that he actually attends the Episcopal Church.
                There is no evidence that he ever refers to the Bible with regards to his lifestyle choice.

Tass and Jimmy have been unable to produce even ONE quote where Buttigieg even suggests he's a Christian, or - a lower bar - a practicing Episcopalian.

It appears the media has just 'ordained' him a Christian because he'd be the "right kind" of Christian - one who ignores scripture and paints Jesus as loving and forgiving and accepting of homosexuality.
                He's a congregant at the Cathedral of St James in his home town, he talks about scripture and his christian philosophy and how it directs his governing. He doesn't have to be specific and say to you that he believes Jesus is his Lord and savior in order to prove to you he is christian. What do you want his to do swear on the bible? You don't believe he's christian, so what, who cares? If someone asked him if Jesus is his Lord and savior then I'm sure he'd answer, but they haven't. You're just hung up about his homosexuality because you're a homophobe who doesn't believe someone can be homosexual and still consider themselves to be a christian. The problem for you is that you don't consider him to be a christian, not that he doesn't consider himself to be a christian.

Comment

his homosexuality because you're a homophobe who doesn't believe someone can be homosexual and still consider themselves to be a christian. The problem for you is that you don't consider him to be a christian, not that he doesn't consider himself to be a christian.
                  Just like I knew a deacon who considered himself a christian and liked to bed married women, and other women who weren't his wife. Should I take his declaration of faith seriously Jim? Would you?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

He's a congregant at the Cathedral of St James in his home town
                    A) you don't know that he actually attends
                    2) that's not what makes a person a Christian
                    iii) that was not Tassman's claim.

Here, lemme refresh your memory....

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    Buttigieg claims to be a “practicing Christian”...

There are a number of other places where Tassman makes this claim.

And the standard that YOU set was...

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Okay, show me the actual quote made by the presiding Bishop herself, not someone elses testimony of what she said.

So, how bout a whole lot less ignorant rambling, and a little more effort in showing the actual quote.

You CAN'T -- so all you have left is to spew forth profound ignorance.

ETA: Wow, I just read the rest of your paranoid screed --- you smokin' crack, bro?
                    Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-27-2019, 05:35 PM.

Comment

He's a congregant at the Cathedral of St James in his home town, he talks about scripture and his christian philosophy and how it directs his governing.
                      And your source for this is...?
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                        Just like I knew a deacon who considered himself a christian and liked to bed married women, and other women who weren't his wife. Should I take his declaration of faith seriously Jim? Would you?
                        Yes, you should, in his case he is what you'd call a sinner as are all you christians. Doesn't mean he doesn't believe.

Comment

Your claim was that he himself claimed to be a "practicing Christian". Need I post all those claims of yours AGAIN?
                          You are fixated on the word “practicing”, which has particular meaning for Evangelicals. Namely: “responding in repentance and faith to Jesus Christ as his personal Savior and Lord". This is not necessarily the same standard for liberal Christians such as Buttigieg and much of the Episcopal Church.

As I’ve argued all along, you are judging Buttigieg by a standard that applies to your brand of Christianity not his. The Catholic Church applies a different standard again, which relates to being a Christian church with a hierarchy of priests and bishops under the pope, a liturgy centered in the Mass, veneration of the Virgin Mary and saints, clerical celibacy, and a body of dogma including transubstantiation and papal infallibility. Up until Vatican II you lot were deemed heretics destined for hell...just as you are consigning Buttigieg and liberal Christianity to perdition for their "erroneous" beliefs. There's no difference in principle.

Gotta love you squabbling, judgmental Christians.
                          Last edited by Tassman; 05-28-2019, 12:20 AM.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Yes, you should, in his case he is what you'd call a sinner as are all you christians. Doesn't mean he doesn't believe.
                            Oh, but Jimmy he doesn't believe the same things about Christianity that CP believes, which of course makes him wrong.
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko
                              hey Jim, why don't you send me 50% of your money? Wouldn't YOU like to receive 50% of other people's money? Say like, Elon Musk? so, according to the golden rule, you need to send me half of your money (or more!) - just send it paypal to sparko@theologyweb.com
                              So you don't believe the Golden Rule after all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                You are fixated on the word “practicing”...
                                Because THAT was your claim, your majesty.

My argument was that the interpretation of scripture varies e.g. the likes of Buttigieg, as a practicing Christian, interprets scripture in such a way that homosexuality is OK with a loving God.
                                I could ot care less whether or not Buttigieg is a “practicing Christian”. But he claims to be...
                                I don’t care whether or not Buttigieg is a “practicing Christian but he does,...
                                What I’ve been arguing about is Buttigieg’s belief that he is a “practicing Christian”...
                                ....Buttigieg claims to be a “practicing Christian”...
                                And I'm accepting the JimL standard of proof....

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                Okay, show me the actual quote made by the presiding Bishop herself, not someone elses testimony of what she said.
                                So, you have two legitimate options.
                                A) Produce a quote where Buttigieg actually claims to be a practicing Christian, as you stated.
                                2) Admit you overshot the runway and he apparently claims no such thing.

I predict you'll continue your jackassery, because you have the credibility of pond scum.
                                Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-28-2019, 08:25 AM.

Comment