Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charles View Post
    And then you are in a position to point fingers at others even though you are a sinner, or exactly what is this about? I would think every sinner continues to sin? And is he continuing to sin or did he simply get it wrong? You cannot read his mind so I suggest you are careful before you conclude.
    So the Christian doesn't get to call things like rape, murder, adultery, lying, etc... morally wrong?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      I don't know too many Christians who say their sin is a moral good, or that God created them to sin as he did.
      Or require that others not only accept their sinning but celebrate it -- or else.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        He may SINCERELY BELIEVE God made him a homosexual -- he's entitled to that -- but he'd be sincerely wrong. He is living in open defiance of Christian teachings, and is unrepentant.
        God didn't make him gay. It is the result of our living in a fallen world.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So the Christian doesn't get to call things like rape, murder, adultery, lying, etc... morally wrong?
          That simply does not follow from what I said. What I encourage CP to be reluctant on is to assume that this person knowingly calls what is wrong right. I see no need to assume that. Disagreeing and insisting that is is wrong is something rather different from that.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            He may SINCERELY BELIEVE God made him a homosexual -- he's entitled to that -- but he'd be sincerely wrong. He is living in open defiance of Christian teachings, and is unrepentant.
            I think you are moving a little bit closer to a fair statement. However, your insistence that he is unrepentant seems to imply that his belief that God made him a homosexual is not his sincere belief. If he sincerely believed it he simply cannot repent because he does not believe it is wrong. So you need to make up your mind. You cannot have it both ways. While you may even be right that he is "living in open defiance of Christian teachings" that does not imply that he is doing so knowingly.
            Last edited by Charles; 04-10-2019, 01:28 PM.
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

I think you are moving a little bit closer to a fair statement.
              I've been there! Maybe you're finally beginning to grasp it.

However, your insistence that he is unrepentant seems to imply that his belief that God made him a homosexual is not his sincere belief.
              I covered that - he may be sincere, but he's sincerely wrong. Only by perverting the Scripture can you think otherwise.

If he sincerely believed it he simply cannot repent because he does not believe it is wrong.
              A person committing adultery can find all kind of ways to justify it, and not repent -- he's still an unrepentant sinner. He just refuses to

So you need to make up your mind.
              I have.

You cannot have it both ways.
              I'm not.

While you may even be right that he is "living in open defiance of Christian teachings" that does not imply that he is doing so knowingly.
              There's an expression even in law enforcement - "ignorance of the law is no excuse", and in the Christian world, that's no more clear than in Romans 1.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think you are moving a little bit closer to a fair statement. However, your insistence that he is unrepentant seems to imply that his belief that God made him a homosexual is not his sincere belief. If he sincerely believed it he simply cannot repent because he does not believe it is wrong. So you need to make up your mind. You cannot have it both ways. While you may even be right that he is "living in open defiance of Christian teachings" that does not imply that he is doing so knowingly.
                "Believing what you're doing is wrong" is not a necessary attribute of being unrepentant. Being told what you're doing is wrong and still persisting in your actions is what makes you unrepentant. Knowing that what you're doing is wrong isn't a state of unrepentance, it's one of the first stages of repentance. Unless you willingly persist in your actions even after being convinced that what you're doing is wrong, in which case you're "knowingly unrepentant".

Comment

He may indeed not believe it is wrong. But all he need do is read the bible to find out. As a Christian, he should have already done that, so he has no excuse.

Comment

That simply does not follow from what I said. What I encourage CP to be reluctant on is to assume that this person knowingly calls what is wrong right. I see no need to assume that. Disagreeing and insisting that is is wrong is something rather different from that.
                    What Mayor Mike can't read?
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

What Mayor Mike can't read?
                      Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Pete.
                        I keep doing that! We had a beloved "Mayor Mike" in my town, he just recently died. Senior moments...

https://www.registercitizen.com/news...4-13602400.php

Comment

I can see why Pete Buttigieg might be regarded as the country’s best Christian. No doubt, his hope for a revival of the religious left will have God’s blessing particularly as He has watched the religious right fall well short of a godly standard what with their rooting for Trump an’ all.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            I can see why Pete Buttigieg might be regarded as the country’s best Christian. No doubt, his hope for a revival of the religious left will have God’s blessing particularly as He has watched the religious right fall well short of a godly standard what with their rooting for Trump an’ all.
                            Yeah, that must be it.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              First, he'll have to convince the Democrat mainliners to apologize for kicking God off their Party Platform.

Democrats still haven’t faced their God problem

And it’s a mistake people like Kevin Washo are trying to rectify, though they feel like they’re swimming against the tide. A day before the Democratic National Convention opened here last July, Washo, a Catholic and prominent national Democrat, organized a private Mass led by a Jesuit priest in the conference room of a prestigious law firm in a shimmering Market Street skyscraper.

That imagery is a far cry from the 2012 Democratic convention, when the hall exploded in turmoil as Democrats voted to amend their party’s platform to include the word “God.” The platform initially had dropped previous platform language that referenced God. After an outcry, convention chairman Antonio Villaraigosa returned to the stage to take a floor vote on a motion to reinsert the language.

The floor vote quite clearly failed as Villaraigosa repeated the roll call. Eventually he declared that “the ayes have it,” and loud boos exploded across the arena.

The headlines that came out of that debacle — “Democrats boo God” was a common one — ended up making matters worse for those, like Washo and Chism, who would like to see their party counter the perception of its estrangement from people of faith.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                He may indeed not believe it is wrong. But all he need do is read the bible to find out. As a Christian, he should have already done that, so he has no excuse.
                                For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Rom 1:20

Comment