Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I think that was part of their religious belief, just as most of the population of the planet has religious beliefs today. I don't think Seer or CP or Sparko are "superstitious" because they happen to believe in a god-centered universe. "Superstitious" is defined as "having or showing belief in superstitions." Superstitions is defined as "excessively credulous belief in and reverence for supernatural beings." It's not a particularly helpful definition, and could cover anything from a general belief that a conscious force created all that is to a belief that stepping on a crack will actually break your mother's back. If you accept "superstitious" by its widest definition, then some 90+% of the current population is superstitious." It would seem the same was true back then. Modern Catholics believe that the bread and wine of the Eucharist are transubstantiated into the body and blood of Jesus - which suggests they are then engaging in (ritual? actual?) cannibalism.

I think you would have a hard time making the case that there is more or less superstition in any particular age.
    Da-yup. No fair! Everyone else has sacrifices ... why can't we have it sacrifices too?
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I love you just enough to get to heaven.
      “Love” grounded in selfish motivation is not “love” at all, it is cynicl opportunism

You have yet to show where the SBC had any kind of official teaching or doctrine or policy on slavery based on a scriptural position. Let's go back to that. You seem to forget that that was your premise.
      No. What we need to “go back to” is the demonstrable fact that the Southern Baptist Convention was an enthusiastic supporter of the Confederate nation and the institution of slavery. What YOU need to do is explain on what basis it supported this position. Its promotion of slavery was either scripturally based OR in defiance of scripture. Which was it?

But, in keeping with the OP, my overall argument…of which the SBC attitude towards slavery is merely a case in point…is that Christians have a long history of interpreting scripture to accommodate the social values of the day…including LGBT rights.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        I think that was part of their religious belief, just as most of the population of the planet has religious beliefs today. I don't think Seer or CP or Sparko are "superstitious" because they happen to believe in a god-centered universe. "Superstitious" is defined as "having or showing belief in superstitions." Superstitions is defined as "excessively credulous belief in and reverence for supernatural beings." It's not a particularly helpful definition, and could cover anything from a general belief that a conscious force created all that is to a belief that stepping on a crack will actually break your mother's back. If you accept "superstitious" by its widest definition, then some 90+% of the current population is superstitious." It would seem the same was true back then. Modern Catholics believe that the bread and wine of the Eucharist are transubstantiated into the body and blood of Jesus - which suggests they are then engaging in (ritual? actual?) cannibalism.
        Modern christians don't believe in sacrificing animals to god, indeed I think they'de think it idiotic. They know better now, and they would know better whether a Jesus came along to sacrifice himself for them or not.
        I also doubt that the adults honestly believe that the bread and wine is actually the body and blood of christ.

I think you would have a hard time making the case that there is more or less superstition in any particular age.
        Oh I think that they'de be a pretty good case that people were much more superstitious back then, then they are now.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Modern christians don't believe in sacrificing animals to god, indeed I think they'de think it idiotic.
          Ancient Christians didn't believe in it either.

And I'll let deal with "they'de"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Ancient Christians didn't believe in it either.
            Ancient Christians nevertheless believed that God required a sacrifice in order to effect Atonement. They still do.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I also doubt that the adults honestly believe that the bread and wine is actually the body and blood of christ.
              Christian (Lutheran) adult here. I confess that the bread and wine is the body and blood of Christ. But it also remains as bread and wine.

Also, Christ should be capitalized, since it's used as a name when referring to Jesus.

Comment

Modern christians don't believe in sacrificing animals to god, indeed I think they'de think it idiotic. They know better now, and they would know better whether a Jesus came along to sacrifice himself for them or not.
                Animal sacrifice is actually common to many religions today, though not the big three as far as I know. Yes the concept of "sacrifice" has not disappeared. It is a common theme throughout the world of the religious. I'm not sure why animal sacrifice is any more or less an issue than giving up booze for lent, or any other of the myriad of ways people "offer up" something to god.

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Frankly, I don't think most modern Catholics think a great deal about their theology one way or the other. Most appear to be "going through the motions" or to have turned their religion into a social group. A priest once told me, "you can always tell the difference between a live church and a dead church in the winter - look for whether they take their coats off when they come into a warm church."

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Oh I think that they'de be a pretty good case that people were much more superstitious back then, then they are now.
                Then I would suggest you are framing the narrative to meet your pre-existing perspective. However, if you have actual evidence that the incidence of superstition was higher in the ANE than it is today, by all means present it and let's look at it. And we should probably start by defining "superstition" clearly so we're all talking about the same thing.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  “Love” grounded in selfish motivation is not “love” at all, it is cynicl opportunism
                  I actually thought you were smart enough that I didn't need sarcasm tags there.

No. What we need to “go back to” is...
                  ...is your bogus claim that the Southern Baptists misinterpreted scripture to justify slavery. You keep kabuki dancing all around that, when you should just be honest and admit, "ok, a lot of Christians did that, but I find no proof that there was any official Southern Baptist position or teaching on that".

But, then, that would require you to have a modicum of credibility.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Franklin Graham

@Franklin_Graham

Mayor Buttigieg says he’s a gay Christian. As a Christian I believe the Bible which defines homosexuality as sin, something to be repentant of, not something to be flaunted, praised or politicized. The Bible says marriage is between a man & a woman—not two men, not two women. 2/3

11:15 AM - Apr 24, 2019

https://www.theblaze.com/news/frankl...inst-buttigieg
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Franklin Graham

@Franklin_Graham

Mayor Buttigieg says he’s a gay Christian. As a Christian I believe the Bible which defines homosexuality as sin, something to be repentant of, not something to be flaunted, praised or politicized. The Bible says marriage is between a man & a woman—not two men, not two women. 2/3

11:15 AM - Apr 24, 2019

https://www.theblaze.com/news/frankl...inst-buttigieg
                      Countdown for when one of our left wing agnostic/atheists tells everyone what they should believe in order to be a Christian.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Countdown for when one of our left wing agnostic/atheists tells everyone what they should believe in order to be a Christian.
                        Bacon
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Bacon
                          praisebacon-S.jpg
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Trump??? What Faith?!?!!?
                            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              Trump??? What Faith?!?!!?
                              O ye of such little?

Comment

O ye of such little?
                                Is he a bacon denier?

Comment