Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Actually he plays piano to the level of a concert pianist.

But interesting that you ignore his other qualities such as "President of the Indiana Urban Mayors Caucus and the Northern Indiana Mayors Roundtable, and serves on the boards of the Truman National Security Project and the United States Conference of Mayors. In 2015 he received the New Frontier Award from the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation and the Harvard University Institute of Politics, and in 2016 he won the U.S. Department of Transportation Mayors’ Challenge Pedestrian and Bicycle Awards for the City’s work on Smart Streets.

Elected at the age of 29, Buttigieg has been profiled by the New York Times and was called “the most interesting mayor you’ve never heard of” by the Washington Post. An officer in U.S. Navy Reserve from 2009-17, Buttigieg took a leave of absence to serve in Afghanistan during a seven-month deployment in 2014, earning the Joint Service Commendation Medal for his counterterrorism work.

An active musician, Buttigieg plays piano and guitar, and has performed with the South Bend Symphony Orchestra. He lives in the same neighborhood where he grew up and is restoring a formerly vacant home there."

https://southbendin.gov/official/mayor-pete-buttigieg/

In short, a more rounded and accomplished individual than the current incumbent of the WH.
    I commend you for supporting your point of view with facts and avoiding a slide into sarcasm and bitter retorts*.

Jim

*not that my commendation means a whole heck of a lot
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      I commend you for supporting your point of view with facts and avoiding a slide into sarcasm and bitter retorts*.

Jim

*not that my commendation means a whole heck of a lot

Are we reading the same thread? Maybe not in this particular post, but Tassman has slid into sarcasm and bitter retorts more than a few times in this thread.

Comment

But interesting that you ignore his other qualities such as "President of the Indiana Urban Mayors Caucus and the Northern Indiana Mayors Roundtable, and serves on the boards of the Truman National Security Project and the United States Conference of Mayors. In 2015 he received the New Frontier Award from the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation and the Harvard University Institute of Politics, and in 2016 he won the U.S. Department of Transportation Mayors’ Challenge Pedestrian and Bicycle Awards for the City’s work on Smart Streets.

Elected at the age of 29, Buttigieg has been profiled by the New York Times and was called “the most interesting mayor you’ve never heard of” by the Washington Post. An officer in U.S. Navy Reserve from 2009-17, Buttigieg took a leave of absence to serve in Afghanistan during a seven-month deployment in 2014, earning the Joint Service Commendation Medal for his counterterrorism work.

An active musician, Buttigieg plays piano and guitar, and has performed with the South Bend Symphony Orchestra. He lives in the same neighborhood where he grew up and is restoring a formerly vacant home there."

In short, a more rounded and accomplished individual than the current incumbent of the WH.
        I addressed the fact that he ran a committee of mayors winning an award for pedestrian and bikes The fact still remains that this sounds far more like a resumé for someone applying for a mid-level managerial position at a company than anything else. And that you need to add that he was a musician (#4 of 4 in the list of accomplishments provided by the Buttigieg campaign itself) reveals a need to pad it. It's as silly as if Trump listed that he played baseball and was scouted by both the Philadelphia Phillies and Boston Red Sox as a reason he should have been elected president.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Oh, Buttigieg’s rating is 60% nationally as compared to Trump’s at around 40%. That’d be about right.

Ya reckon? Buttigieg’s mayoral career has been a success overall during the seven years he has been in office with the reasonable expectation that it will continue should he remain in South Bend as, realistically, he probably will.
          With a 35% approval rating (10 points below Trump's)? The folks who know him are less than thrilled with him.
          Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          So, his application is now impressive “for a mid-level management position at a large company”, so he’s moved on from your initial: “someone fresh out of school looking for their first real job”. Maybe next time you’ll get it right. He is a highly accomplished individual who would be an asset to the country.
          Yup. It's now fresh out of college looking for his first real job.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I addressed the fact that he ran a committee of mayors winning an award for pedestrian and bikes The fact still remains that this sounds far more like a resumé for someone applying for a mid-level managerial position at a company than anything else. And that you need to add that he was a musician (#4 of 4 in the list of accomplishments provided by the Buttigieg campaign itself) reveals a need to pad it. It's as silly as if Trump listed that he played baseball and was scouted by both the Philadelphia Phillies and Boston Red Sox as a reason he should have been elected president.
            The fact that you have nothing to offer but belittlement and sarcasm about a demonstrably accomplished man with a résumé, which is impressive by any standard, says more about you than about him.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post

Are we reading the same thread? Maybe not in this particular post, but Tassman has slid into sarcasm and bitter retorts more than a few times in this thread.
              I was responding to that post and the recent posts to him, which have mostly been just snarky pokes at who he is. It is not meant to try to make a generalized assessment of his posting style.

I think being able to avoid the temptation to respond in kind to snarky ad hominem on occasion deserves a pat on the back. It just struck me at that moment he'd managed to do that, so I made the post, however meaningless such a response from me might be.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post

Jim is particularly upset with me because I am not very nice to JimL, and because I have implied that Jim is siding with Tassman and JimL a lot.

This one really is about me.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The fact that you have nothing to offer but belittlement and sarcasm about a demonstrably accomplished man with a résumé, which is impressive by any standard, says more about you than about him.
                  And, here, Tassman is playing to Ox's support, pretending, himself, to be some kind of tower of virtue.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Jim is particularly upset with me because I am not very nice to JimL, and because I have implied that Jim is siding with Tassman and JimL a lot.

This one really is about me.
                    When is it ever not?
                    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

And, here, Tassman is playing to Ox's support, pretending, himself, to be some kind of tower of virtue.
                      Tassman is an absolute Burj Khalifa of moral virtue, because he gets to choose whatever moral values are true. By sheer coincidence, the true ones just happen to be the very ones Tassman most eagerly espouses. Who would've thunk it?
                      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                        When is it ever not?
                        I try.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                          Tassman is an absolute Burj Khalifa of moral virtue, because he gets to choose whatever moral values are true. By sheer coincidence, the true ones just happen to be the very ones Tassman most eagerly espouses. Who would've thunk it?
                          On a more serious note, Tassman has value. His attack on Southern Baptists has made me dig down and do a lot more homework than I've ever done before on the racial issue.

We are SO PAST the racial issue, that we don't spend NEARLY as much time as Tassman does on it. He's very much like Satan in that regard --- trying to force you to live in shame and be mired in your past rather than work effectively for solutions. Tassman is trying to keep the SBC ENSLAVED to our past. That's who he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post

Serving on boards, counsels, and roundtables is one of the least impressive qualifications. It just means you have the right connections and not that you're a competent leader.

Business and community awards in America are commonplace. Walk into the office of any company manager or government bureacrat in the US, and you are guaranteed to see any number of plaques and trophies. Again, it's more about having the right connections than demonstrating competent leadership.

"Profiled" by the media? So what. My pastor can boast the same.

His military service is commendable.

Plays an instrument? Who gives a flying fig?

If this is his best pitch for president then it's laughable.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Serving on boards, counsels, and roundtables is one of the least impressive qualifications. It just means you have the right connections and not that you're a competent leader.
                              Yes, it's an ego-stroker -- somebody wants to capitalize on your name or office, not necessarily because you're a good manager, but because of your connections - like having "the Mayor" on our board.
                              Last edited by rogue06; 07-07-2019, 01:20 PM. Reason: edited rather than replied. original restored.

Comment

Yes, it's an ego-stroker -- somebody wants to capitalize on your name or office, not necessarily because you're a good manager, but because of your connections - like having "the Mayor" on our board.
                                He sounds perfectly qualified to be chairman of the local symphony. I don't see anything in his resume that says "presidential".
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment