Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christians slaughtered in Nigeria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by A Stranger View Post
    Someone recently said "I'm sorry, you would have to prove these sources are dishonest. Just because they don't agree with your mindset doesn't make them so." Does that standard not apply to all? And don't bother telling me to search the archive: I'll gladly look at some authoritative evidence that the sources are problematic, but cries of "fake news" won't cut it.

When dealing with a dishonest source (and while you attempted to dismiss my argument, you have failed to refute it) "supposed" is the accurate word to use.

Don't you dare attempt to put such words in my mouth, mossrose. Unless you've joined the "He's not Christian, so of course he rejoices at Christian deaths" school of thought, that was utterly undeserved.

Or lied about. Unfortunately, simply claiming to be a Christian news site does not prevent false, sometimes even dishonest, reporting. Or have you taken to accepting Chick Tracts at face value solely because they claim to be Christian?

Rather like the outrage you're attempting to generate?

I started this thread to point out the continued hypocrisy of the MSM and how they play on the emotions of people to suit their own ends. I am pointing out the hypocrisy of the MSM who will never report on Christians being slaughtered every day all over the world, but will milk every other outrage, as long as it's perpetrated against Muslims or liberals and as long as they can link the outrage to white males who are "probably Christian".

Now, you've had your say, and you can continue to post here or not, but your rhetoric is the same as all the other liberals here, and your lack of outrage over Christians being killed is duly noted.

Leave a comment:

• A Stranger
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Liberal source. I don't trust it.
    Liberal source....

Another liberal source.
    Someone recently said "I'm sorry, you would have to prove these sources are dishonest. Just because they don't agree with your mindset doesn't make them so." Does that standard not apply to all? And don't bother telling me to search the archive: I'll gladly look at some authoritative evidence that the sources are problematic, but cries of "fake news" won't cut it.

Supposed? And "suppose" it really did happen.
    When dealing with a dishonest source (and while you attempted to dismiss my argument, you have failed to refute it) "supposed" is the accurate word to use.

Apparently according to you, if it didn't happen yesterday, it doesn't matter.
    Don't you dare attempt to put such words in my mouth, mossrose. Unless you've joined the "He's not Christian, so of course he rejoices at Christian deaths" school of thought, that was utterly undeserved.

What do those incidents have to do with Christians being slaughtered all over the world? Of course these things are reported in the US, but other countries are ignored.
    Or lied about. Unfortunately, simply claiming to be a Christian news site does not prevent false, sometimes even dishonest, reporting. Or have you taken to accepting Chick Tracts at face value solely because they claim to be Christian?

[/quote]Its the outrage of the media that matters.[quote]

Rather like the outrage you're attempting to generate?

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by AS
    Gatestons dishonest arguments have been documented by others. Heres a good start.
    * https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...k-tank-n868171
    Liberal source. I don't trust it.

Liberal source. And the couple of paragraphs I can read without paying have nothing to do with the slaughter of Christians.

[/QUOTE]

Another liberal source.
    The Gatestone article was written in February. The supposed attack took place in 2017.
    Supposed? And "suppose" it really did happen. Apparently according to you, if it didn't happen yesterday, it doesn't matter.

The church shooting in Chareston was unreported? Oh, I'm sorry, that wasn't about reliugion, it was about race.

How about the one in Southerland Springs? Oh, no, wrong again--that was a divorce dispute. The shooter had attended that Church.

How about Elicott City? Oops, I'm sorry--that was because the perp was barred from the food facilities for breaking the rules.

Nashville? That's questionable. The shooter had formerly attended the Burnette Chapel, but also hgad posted about black supremacy and Nation of Islam.

No, Mossy, they are reported--and forgotten. A month from now, no one here will remember, or care, about either massacre. "Thoughts and prayers," then swift amnesia.
    What do those incidents have to do with Christians being slaughtered all over the world? Of course these things are reported in the US, but other countries are ignored.

Yes. Not that my outrage, or yours, has ever been the point.
    Its the outrage of the media that matters, and there is none for the death of Christians by other "religions". And there is none here from the left, the atheists and agnostics on Tweb, either. Shameful.

Leave a comment:

• A Stranger
    replied
    Just because these are ongoing wars doesn't make the killings right or any less as horrific as violence against Muslims.
    Ongoing wars where a Fulani attack that kills eleven is met with an Adata attack that killed 131 Fulani is hardly the same as terrorism against people living in a time of peace. I abhor war, but if you're going off numbers, the self-identified Christians have plenty of blood on their hands--blood that your sources conveniently ignore. https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/...-violence.html

That's dishonest reporting, mossrose. Your sources lie to make the Nigerian Christians look guiltless.

I'm sorry, you would have to prove these sources are dishonest.
    Gatestons dishonest arguments have been documented by others. Heres a good start.
    * https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...k-tank-n868171
    * https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nogo-zone-myth
    * https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/eu...ists-religion/
    * https://theintercept.com/2018/03/23/...i-muslim-hate/

Just because they don't agree with your mindset doesn't make them so.
    Now, that's quite a statement. I realize ita's been several years, but one of my first arguments here was with a Pagan who was accusing Christians of ... well, some pretty nasty stuff. I tend to go for facts, regardless of political or religious slant. If that much of my reputation has been forgotten ... well, if there's fault for my reputation not being remembered, the fault is mine.

The article about the Philippines was written in February of THIS year.
    The Gatestone article was written in February. The supposed attack took place in 2017.

Because, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I wanted to highlight the fact that Christians are murdered every day all over the world but nobody in the MSM reports these things, but when Muslims are horribly slaughtered, it is news for weeks, especially if the perpetrator is white and male and "probably Christian".
    The church shooting in Chareston was unreported? Oh, I'm sorry, that wasn't about reliugion, it was about race.

How about the one in Southerland Springs? Oh, no, wrong again--that was a divorce dispute. The shooter had attended that Church.

How about Elicott City? Oops, I'm sorry--that was because the perp was barred from the food facilities for breaking the rules.

Nashville? That's questionable. The shooter had formerly attended the Burnette Chapel, but also hgad posted about black supremacy and Nation of Islam.

No, Mossy, they are reported--and forgotten. A month from now, no one here will remember, or care, about either massacre. "Thoughts and prayers," then swift amnesia.

I only have your word for it that these sources are "lying for Jesus".
    See above. Other examples available as they occur to me, and as I ghappen to see them.

Do you feel sorrow and outrage over these murders of Christians, as much as you feel outrage over the murder of Muslims?
    Yes. Not that my outrage, or yours, has ever been the point.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by A Stranger View Post
    It's likely not being mentioned because it's part of an ongoing war for resources, rather than being primarily based on either religion or tribe.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44039546

One element in another war--again, a war where both sides have bloody hands. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Marawi
    Just because these are ongoing wars doesn't make the killings right or any less as horrific as violence against Muslims.

The Gatestone Institute is a right-wing, anti-Islam think tank with a long string of dishonest reporting.

Mossy, why are you citing dishonest sources to highlight an actual problem? And yes, I do say "dishonest," meaning that the authors deliberately wrote the stories to give a false impression.
    I'm sorry, you would have to prove these sources are dishonest. Just because they don't agree with your mindset doesn't make them so.

More than that, why are you highlighting a war almost three years ago to bolster your argument?
    The attack on Nigeria was earlier THIS month. The article about the Philippines was written in February of THIS year.

More than that, why are you doing so hours after a terrorist attack against Muslims by a self-identified racist and white nationalist?
    Because, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I wanted to highlight the fact that Christians are murdered every day all over the world but nobody in the MSM reports these things, but when Muslims are horribly slaughtered, it is news for weeks, especially if the perpetrator is white and male and "probably Christian".

If you want to claim that Christianity is persecuted--and it is--use sources who don't feel that "lying for Jesus" is an acceptable policy.
    I only have your word for it that these sources are "lying for Jesus".

Do you feel sorrow and outrage over these murders of Christians, as much as you feel outrage over the murder of Muslims?

If not, why not?

Leave a comment:

• A Stranger
    replied
    [box]Over 20 Nigerian Christians have been butchered by Islamic Fulani herdsmen in the latest brutal attack to rock the embattled nation.
    It's likely not being mentioned because it's part of an ongoing war for resources, rather than being primarily based on either religion or tribe.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44039546

And in the Philippines:
    One element in another war--again, a war where both sides have bloody hands. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Marawi

The new terrorism in the Philippines is not merely inspired by political or territorial grievances, real or imagined, but rather is imbued with intrinsic hate for the "other" — for the "infidel."
    The Gatestone Institute is a right-wing, anti-Islam think tank with a long string of dishonest reporting.

Mossy, why are you citing dishonest sources to highlight an actual problem? And yes, I do say "dishonest," meaning that the authors deliberately wrote the stories to give a false impression.

More than that, why are you highlighting a war almost three years ago to bolster your argument?

More than that, why are you doing so hours after a terrorist attack against Muslims by a self-identified racist and white nationalist?

If you want to claim that Christianity is persecuted--and it is--use sources who don't feel that "lying for Jesus" is an acceptable policy.
    Last edited by A Stranger; 03-16-2019, 04:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lee_merrill
    replied
    Though "the blood of the martyrs is seed" (Tertullian). Through Open Doors I heard that the Christians in China sing "I want to be a martyr for Jesus."

"They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb,
    and the word of their testimony,
    and they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death." (Rev. 12:11)

May the Lord give us grace to take up the cross,
    Lee

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    Guess they are racist! Because the persecution isn't in "white" majority nations. And why do those nations like to pick on Christians? They'll have a shock on Judgement day. Unless they repent and stop oppressing the innocent!

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    And yet the mainstream media is completely silent.
    Exactly. And exactly why I posted this yesterday, in light of the horror in Christchurch. Nobody ever talks about the Christians slaughtered every day all over the world.

But the media jumps all over anything else, especially if the perpetrator is white and male and "probably Christian".

I still am waiting for the outrage from the left, the atheists and agnostics here. Charles posted, but didn't exactly express his sorrow over what is going on.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    And yet the mainstream media is completely silent.

Leave a comment:

• Charles
    replied
    I think Brian McLaren made some very good points some years ago that are still worth reading: http://time.com/136966/christians-it...sed-terrorism/

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    According to the Pew Research Centre Report Christianity is the most persecuted religion in the world and the persecution is increasing. This is confirmed by other recent studies including one by civitas.org.uk and University of Notre Dame's Center for Ethics and Culture (in cooperation with Georgetown University's Religious Freedom Research Project). The latter study has moved the British Foreign Secretary to investigate the global persecution of Christians. Several years ago the Vatican expressed "deep concern" to the UN over the killing of 100,000 Christians each year because of their faith.
    And yet, when do we ever hear about any of it? Unless it's bizarre like the man killed by the remote islanders in India not long ago, the press is silent.

This thread is silent. Where is the outrage from ANYBODY about these murders?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    According to the Pew Research Centre Report Christianity is the most persecuted religion in the world and the persecution is increasing. This is confirmed by other recent studies including one by civitas.org.uk and University of Notre Dame's Center for Ethics and Culture (in cooperation with Georgetown University's Religious Freedom Research Project). The latter study has moved the British Foreign Secretary to investigate the global persecution of Christians. Several years ago the Vatican expressed "deep concern" to the UN over the killing of 100,000 Christians each year because of their faith.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    started a topic Christians slaughtered in Nigeria

Christians slaughtered in Nigeria

Over 20 Nigerian Christians have been butchered by Islamic Fulani herdsmen in the latest brutal attack to rock the embattled nation. The viscous herdsmen, who have been responsible for hundreds of attacks against the Christian population, struck March 4, 2019 in a coordinated attack on a series of villages across Benue State.

According to persecution watchdog, International Christian Concern, some 23 people were murdered in the attacks, which were perpetrated with machetes and firearms. “It was bad. They killed over 20 people,” said a member of the Gwer West legislative council following the incident. “Some were killed by gunshots and some by machete hacks!”

https://www.faithwire.com/2019/03/13...r-grazing-law/

And in the Philippines:

The new terrorism in the Philippines is not merely inspired by political or territorial grievances, real or imagined, but rather is imbued with intrinsic hate for the "other" — for the "infidel."

In May 2017, in the city of Marawi, a civilian bus was stopped by jihadis; when 9 passengers were discovered to be Christian — apparently because they were not able to quote the Koran — they were tied together and shot dead, execution style. The jihadis who took over Marawi during the uprising forced women into sex-slavery and ordered Christian men embrace Islam or be used as human shields against the Philippine Army.

January's deadly church-bombing, which claimed 20 lives and wounded more than 100, is the latest reminder that, as with other nations that have a sizeable Muslim minority, the Philippines is embroiled in the jihad. While the ostensible reason behind it may be political or territorial, the sadistic hate that accompanies attacks on Christians and their churches suggests that ideology is the ultimate cause.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1...ns-slaughtered

And the top 10 dangerous places for Christians in the world today:

The Christian persecution we read about in Scripture and history books is not a thing of the past. It still exists. Today, in the 21st century, we are living in a time when persecution against Christian believers is the highest in modern history. According to Open Doors’ 2019 World Watch List—an in-depth investigative report focusing on global Christian persecution—persecution is increasing at an alarming rate. Research for the List indicates that each day, a staggering 11 Christians are killed for their faith in the top 50 countries ranked on the World Watch List.

Below, we look at the world’s 10 most dangerous places to be a Christian—countries where saying “yes” to following Jesus is truly a life-or-death decision.

https://www.opendoorsusa.org/christi...-follow-jesus/