Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christians slaughtered in Nigeria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I acknowledge your point first with an amen to the second post of the thread by Sparko - agreeing with his call to prayer for those suffering.
    Your amen to Sparky's call to prayer did not acknowledge the biased reporting of the MSM in regards to worldwide Christian persecution.

I acknowledged it the second time in post 27 where I was expressing my amazement you would discount an article highlighting the significant persecution of Christians because of a disagreement about theology. I said:

Source: oxmixmudd

this piece charles links to is quite to the point of this thread and acknowledges quite clearly and in Time magazine the heinous persecution some Christians are suffering at the hand of certain elements of Islam. And it offers advice and solutions consistent with the gospel, with the teachings of Christ.

© Copyright Original Source

Nothing you said here acknowledge the biased reporting of the MSM in regards to worldwide Christian persecution.

And as I said in post #31:

I never said that I disagreed with McLaren on the points he made about resorting to violence, hatred or bitterness in light of persecution. But his gospel is wrong, and I am free to take everything he says with that in mind. I find it very interesting that you jump to defending Chuck and his article, but you still make no comment regarding the lack of reporting in the MSM about the persecution of believers.

It was here also that you were quite clear to indicate there was something wrong with me in not expressing outrage to your particular set of requirements:

Source: mossrose

Where's your outrage on the issue of Christians being slaughtered all over the world, Jim, and the fact that the MSM is resounding in their silence regarding it?

Clearly, the implication is there is something wrong with me. That implication is not 'just in my head'. And you continued in that vein, though perhaps not so clearly in a accusatory mode.
    I had seen no outrage at that point.

I acknowledged your point a third time in this post (post 34):

It is pretty bad in china. And it is odd we dont hear more about what is going on there in terms of religious persecution. What I don't know is how much similar activites impact other religions in China. But china and russia, communist countries in general, are especially bad in their treatment of christians.

In case you missed it, I amened that post. However, aside from pointing out that it's "odd we don't hear more about what is going on there" I still don't see you acknowledging the biased reporting of the MSM in regards to worldwide Christian persecution.

And then finally you managed to notice it in post 35 where I said:

Secondarily, while the persecution of Christians IS an issue, and the tendency for the reporting of such issues to be unbalanced IS a problem,

That would be 4 times with you acting as it was only once and along the way implying there was something wrong with me because I wasn't all over the MSM about it in a way that would satisfy you.
    I still only count once. And maybe a teeny bit of concession to the point with the China post.

I could not quite figure out what you were getting at is why. 'this' would have been clearer had it been 'what you speak of in the text below'.
    I put your name on it twice, as it was your post.

First: I wasn't speaking about you specifically, but the general trend in recent years of dismissing the Sermon on the mount and what it requires in terms of how we treat others, especially our enemies. The idea that turning the other cheek, offering love for hatred, speaking gracefully even when being attacked is somehow 'namby pamby' rather that the brave acts of committed Christians willing to suffer and die without a fight if necessary for the Gospel.
    It sure looked like it was referring to me. That was the whole tone of that post, and I am still waiting for you to tell me where I was advocating the things in that paragraph.

Second: This thread, started in response to the New Zealand shooting of Muslims is part and parcel of that same spirit of seeking revenge, seeking the encourage outrage and anger against those you and others perceive as our enemies - the people in the MSM. Had it been started in isolation much it would still have that problem, but much, much more so as a response to such an act. And consistent with that general trend.

As I noted in post #36:

It is not your business to tell me whether something I post is appropriate or not. That is the whole purpose of this thread. To show that terrible things are happening to Christians EVERY day and nobody hears about it. How dare you tell me that I shouldn't have started this thread when I did!

You seem to be saying here that it's ok to defend the MSM -- as you say "seeking revenge, seeking the(sic) encourage outrage and anger against those you and others perceive as our enemies - the people in the MSM," then you need to look at your own treatment of your brothers over those who feed your political mindset. I have no idea what kind of revenge you think I'm seeking, other than to point out the hypocrisy of the MSM in this regard. Which will do absolutely nothing to change them, especially with liberal Christians like you who support them and refuse to call them on it.

And if you think it would have been wrong to start this thread at any time, as you state in your last sentence, then it would seem that you don't object to the media not reporting the murder of Christians.

Answered.

Jim
    Nope. Just accused me of the same thing without showing me where I did it. And this time, for sure, you were referring to me.

Jim, I'm done with you on this issue. If you've had your say, you're welcome to step out of the thread.
    Last edited by mossrose; 03-20-2019, 09:14 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Your amen to Sparky's call to prayer did not acknowledge the biased reporting of the MSM in regards to worldwide Christian persecution.

Nothing you said here acknowledge the biased reporting of the MSM in regards to worldwide Christian persecution.

And as I said in post #31:

I never said that I disagreed with McLaren on the points he made about resorting to violence, hatred or bitterness in light of persecution. But his gospel is wrong, and I am free to take everything he says with that in mind. I find it very interesting that you jump to defending Chuck and his article, but you still make no comment regarding the lack of reporting in the MSM about the persecution of believers.

I had seen no outrage at that point.

In case you missed it, I amened that post. However, aside from pointing out that it's "odd we don't hear more about what is going on there" I still don't see you acknowledging the biased reporting of the MSM in regards to worldwide Christian persecution.

I still only count once. And maybe a teeny bit of concession to the point with the China post.
      Which goes directly to my point. I acknowledged the issue 4 times. Just not to the standard you deemed acceptable. There is little logical about how you are acting mossy. And I've done nothing you should be taking offense at.

It sure looked like it was referring to me. That was the whole tone of that post, and I am still waiting for you to tell me where I was advocating the things in that paragraph.
      I answered you. I was not referring to you directly. It was a general statement about a general trend in the Church that I see as being symbolized by the fact you are more concerned about whether or not the MSM reports specific Christian persecution in lands where slaughters and human rights violations are so common it would be impossible to keep up with them all over whether or not 50 people were gunned down in New Zealand for nothing more than being Muslim.

We are not in any sort of disagreement about whether or not it is a bad thing that Christians are persecuted. We are not in disagreement that there is a tendency in the MSM to overlook incidents that otherwise would be reported if they involve Christians. However, the fact the MSM doesn't report slaughters where slaughters occur on a daily basis is not surprising and not necessarily in indication of anti-Christian bias.

It is not your business to tell me whether something I post is appropriate or not. That is the whole purpose of this thread. To show that terrible things are happening to Christians EVERY day and nobody hears about it. How dare you tell me that I shouldn't have started this thread when I did!

That's crazy. I have every right to say I think it's inappropriate to try to take the New Zealand shooting and use it as an opportunity to fuss about the MSM. And you have every right to disagree with me.

You seem to be saying here that it's ok to defend the MSM -- as you say "seeking revenge, seeking the(sic) encourage outrage and anger against those you and others perceive as our enemies - the people in the MSM," then you need to look at your own treatment of your brothers over those who feed your political mindset. I have no idea what kind of revenge you think I'm seeking, other than to point out the hypocrisy of the MSM in this regard. Which will do absolutely nothing to change them, especially with liberal Christians like you who support them and refuse to call them on it.

No, actually I was responding to your rebuttal of Charles reference. This was before I understood you're beef with McLaran was his theology and not the substance of his article that Charles linked to. Had I realized you were dismissing that article out of hand because of the man's theology and not the content of the text I'd have likely have addressed you more specifically. I can apologize that I was not clear enough for you to understand the general nature of the comment, but I will not apologize for what was said. It is a massive problem in the American Evangelical church these days.

And if you think it would have been wrong to start this thread at any time, as you state in your last sentence, then it would seem that you don't object to the media not reporting the murder of Christians.
      And you really expect me to believe you are not trying to say there is something wrong with me on this issue? Look above.

No Mossy, there is no correlation. I do object with the media if they pass over stories they would otherwise report just because the people involved are Christian. And I have great concern for those that suffer on account of their faith in Christ.

But you don't appear inclined to believe that.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
          Because the fact they are Christians seems incidental to the lack of reporting, at least in the examples given.
          agreed
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            agreed
            https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...on-talks-intl/

https://www.opendoorsusa.org/christi...ch-list/sudan/

Do you (all those participating in this thread) support Trump's desire to normalize relations with a nation that has one of the worst records of violence against Christians?

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Do you (all those participating in this thread) support Trump's desire to normalize relations with a nation that has one of the worst records of violence against Christians?

Jim
              I think a tremendous opportunity is missed in attempting to "normalize" relations without conditions.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jim
                Frankly, I don't want this thread to discuss anything to do with Trump. If that's all people can talk about they can go elsewhere.

Any other posts in this thread mentioning Trump will be reported and removed.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Frankly, I don't want this thread to discuss anything to do with Trump. If that's all people can talk about they can go elsewhere.

Any other posts in this thread mentioning Trump will be reported and removed.
                  This would be about a policy being pursued by the US government that will hurt Christians in the Sudan in the long run. Sudan has one of the most abusive records against christian believers anywhere.

It that not what this thread is about?

Further, the media is in fact ignoring the horrible abuse of Christians there, although in rightly point out this is not a government that we should be normalizing relations with without dealing with their abusive human rights violations they may indirectly help the Christians there.

Is that not also what this thread is about?

Jim
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-08-2019, 11:52 AM.

Comment

This would be about a policy being pursued by the US government that will hurt Christians in the Sudan in the long run. Sudan has one of the most abusive records against christian believers anywhere.

It that not what this thread is about?

Further, the media is in fact ignoring the horrible abuse of Christians there, although in rightly point out this is not a government that we should be normalizing relations with without dealing with their abusive human rights violations.

Is that not also what this thread is about?

Jim

You can start another thread about the politicizing of this issue in the US, Jim. I don't want it here.

Comment

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1...hes-vandalized

In Germany, four separate churches were vandalized and/or torched in March alone. "In this country," PI-News, a German news site, explained, "there is a creeping war against everything that symbolizes Christianity: attacks on mountain-summit crosses, on sacred statues by the wayside, on churches... and recently also on cemeteries."

In virtually every instance of church attacks, authorities and media obfuscate the identity of the vandals. In those rare instances when the Muslim (or "migrant") identity of the destroyers is leaked, the desecraters are then presented as suffering from mental health issues.

"Hardly anyone writes and speaks about the increasing attacks on Christian symbols. There is an eloquent silence in both France and Germany about the scandal of the desecrations and the origin of the perpetrators.... Not a word, not even the slightest hint that could in anyway lead to the suspicion of migrants... It is not the perpetrators who are in danger of being ostracized, but those who dare to associate the desecration of Christian symbols with immigrant imports. They are accused of hatred, hate speech and racism." -- PI News, March 24, 2019

Comment

00000000000000aa.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So here's a question. Much of this topic is about the amount of attention paid to persecution by the media. But here is a more pertinent question: What exactly can someone do to try to help the persecuted Christians in these countries? Are there organizations that one could support that aid in such things?

Comment

Christian persecution 'at near genocide levels'

The persecution of Christians in parts of the world is at near "genocide" levels, according to a report ordered by Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

The review, led by the Bishop of Truro the Right Reverend Philip Mounstephen, estimated that one in three people suffer from religious persecution.

Christians were the most persecuted religious group, it found.

Mr Hunt said he felt that "political correctness" had played a part in the issue not being confronted.

The interim report said the main impact of "genocidal acts against Christians is exodus" and that Christianity faced being "wiped out" from parts of the Middle East.

It warned the religion "is at risk of disappearing" in some parts of the world, pointing to figures which claimed Christians in Palestine represent less than 1.5% of the population, while in Iraq they had fallen from 1.5 million before 2003 to less than 120,000.

"Evidence shows not only the geographic spread of anti-Christian persecution, but also its increasing severity," the Bishop wrote.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48146305
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                              So here's a question. Much of this topic is about the amount of attention paid to persecution by the media. But here is a more pertinent question: What exactly can someone do to try to help the persecuted Christians in these countries? Are there organizations that one could support that aid in such things?
                              I can think of one off hand. Voice of the Martyrs. Of course, you could do research on your own to find others.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Christian persecution 'at near genocide levels'

The persecution of Christians in parts of the world is at near "genocide" levels, according to a report ordered by Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

The review, led by the Bishop of Truro the Right Reverend Philip Mounstephen, estimated that one in three people suffer from religious persecution.

Christians were the most persecuted religious group, it found.

Mr Hunt said he felt that "political correctness" had played a part in the issue not being confronted.

The interim report said the main impact of "genocidal acts against Christians is exodus" and that Christianity faced being "wiped out" from parts of the Middle East.

It warned the religion "is at risk of disappearing" in some parts of the world, pointing to figures which claimed Christians in Palestine represent less than 1.5% of the population, while in Iraq they had fallen from 1.5 million before 2003 to less than 120,000.

"Evidence shows not only the geographic spread of anti-Christian persecution, but also its increasing severity," the Bishop wrote.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48146305
                                Sadly, it's going to get worse before the Lord returns.

Comment