Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Transgender sprinters finish 1st, 2nd at Connecticut girls indoor track championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

You're free to disagree, but what [ I ] elaborated is a more sensible motive attribution than using the phobia card.
    Again, if ANY male with an indisputable physical advantage wants to compete with women, and think that's actually fair - there's something wrong with his head.
    I don't care if he's homo, phono, mono, limbo, sumo.... that's just psycho.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    The charge of "phobia" is used way too much to describe people who disagree with the left. Malice is assumed when there are much more reasonable motivations for comments and behaviour.
    Yeah, if they wanna play that dumb game, I can play the dumb 'hyperhomocentric' thing - or, better, the hyperracistcentic thing.

Like when I used to arrest blacks, and SO MANY times, I'd hear "the only reason you arrested me was cause I'm black!"
    (had absolutely nothing to do the load of TVs in their trunk with a smashed plate glass window in the electronics store)

It's an incredibly intellectually lazy (or dishonest) way to avoid an honest discussion.

Your Dos Equis/Most Interesting Man in the World meme was very appropriate.
    Thanks! Thought that up all by my little ol' self.

Leave a comment:

• Diogenes
    replied
    Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
    I disagree.
    You're free to disagree, but what [ I ] elaborated is a more sensible motive attribution than using the phobia card.
    Last edited by Diogenes; 02-06-2021, 06:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Electric Skeptic
    replied

The statement doesn't illicit fear or hatred. Cow Poke likely believes, and I tagged him so he can confirm, that holding the belief that "it is fair for a male to complete against females" indicates an ideological bias that is pervasive to the the point of refusing to accept the realities of sexual dimorphism and forces females to compete against individuals that have advantages that cannot be countered and this competitive advantage further cheapens the idea of female sports in part as an endeavor of achievement for the female body as an ideal.

Saying "screwed up in head" is effectively condensing that.
    I disagree.

Leave a comment:

• Diogenes
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Again, who in their right mind would believe it's FAIR to compete with such obvious advantages?
    What about someone in their left mind?

Mrs Ludlow, my grade school English teacher, would say "let's test it by re-ordering the sentence"....

A biological male who thinks it's fair to compete with women, cheating them out of honest athletic victories, has got to be "screwed up in the head".
    The charge of "phobia" is used way too much to describe people who disagree with the left. Malice is assumed when there are much more reasonable motivations for comments and behaviour.

First, Eclectic Septic went all hyperhomocentric on this, then he pretended not to see me (that was silly), then goes to this "I don't argue against mods", but comes back to argue against a mod.

Your Dos Equis/Most Interesting Man in the World meme was very appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

The statement doesn't illicit fear or hatred. Cow Poke likely believes, and I tagged him so he can confirm, that holding the belief that "it is fair for a male to complete against females" indicates an ideological bias that is pervasive to the the point of refusing to accept the realities of sexual dimorphism and forces females to compete against individuals that have advantages that cannot be countered and this competitive advantage further cheapens the idea of female sports in part as an endeavor of achievement for the female body as an ideal.

Yes, and the "screwed up in the head" would apply to ANY person who had the obvious physical advantage of a MALE, competing against women. Nothing phobic about that.
    Once again, here's the actual exchange without the hyperhomocentric distortion....

transpobic trimmed.jpg

The "screwed up in the head" would apply to ANY person who had physical attributes of a male that gave a distinct advantage over females.

Again, who in their right mind would believe it's FAIR to compete with such obvious advantages?

Mrs Ludlow, my grade school English teacher, would say "let's test it by re-ordering the sentence"....

A biological male who thinks it's fair to compete with women, cheating them out of honest athletic victories, has got to be "screwed up in the head".

First, Eclectic Septic went all hyperhomocentric on this, then he pretended not to see me (that was silly), then goes to this "I don't argue against mods", but comes back to argue against a mod.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-06-2021, 05:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Diogenes
    replied
    it's pretty obvious that the 'transphobic nonsense' I refer to is not that part of his statement, but rather the "a biological man is so screwed up in the head that he thinks it's fair to compete against them" portion

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

You're perfectly correct in everything you say, Mr Mod.

I don't always.png

Leave a comment:

• Electric Skeptic
    replied

Where's the insult in....
    You're really straining here - my emphasis was on the notion that "they think it's fair to compete against them" --- which is why I think they must be screwed up in the head. What biological MALE with the physical advantages inherent to them, would think that's fair?

You can't argue on the basis of the facts -- you have to twist what I said, and argue that.

Or where's the insult in....
    You would be best off just to admit you were wrong, and let it go at that.

You were wrong -- the reason I said they were "screwed up in the head" is because they showed up to compete against girls --- if that's not "screwed up in the head", what is?

So, you must be talking about this part....
    I'm not sure you have that in you.

And you're proving me to be correct.

Yet, here you are.
    You're perfectly correct in everything you say, Mr Mod.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Thanks for the insult, Mr. Mod.

Where's the insult in....
    You're really straining here - my emphasis was on the notion that "they think it's fair to compete against them" --- which is why I think they must be screwed up in the head. What biological MALE with the physical advantages inherent to them, would think that's fair?

You can't argue on the basis of the facts -- you have to twist what I said, and argue that.

Or where's the insult in....
    You would be best off just to admit you were wrong, and let it go at that.

You were wrong -- the reason I said they were "screwed up in the head" is because they showed up to compete against girls --- if that's not "screwed up in the head", what is?

So, you must be talking about this part....
    I'm not sure you have that in you.

And you're proving me to be correct.

Which is why I don't knowingly debate with mods.
    Yet, here you are.

Leave a comment:

• Electric Skeptic
    replied

You would be best off just to admit you were wrong, and let it go at that. I'm not sure you have that in you.
    No, I don't have it in me to admit I was wrong when I'm not.

Thanks for the insult, Mr. Mod.

Which is why I don't knowingly debate with mods.
    Last edited by Electric Skeptic; 02-06-2021, 04:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Basically the process works like this:

1. someone reports a post
    2. we discuss it for a while.
    3. Then we propose banning rogue06
    4. When that fails we tell mossy how old she is.
    5. after getting whacked over the head by the Pin™ and told not to derail the report thread, we come to a decision
    6. We then wait several days for the area mod to implement that decision.
    7. I take the bacon and run.
    That is far more accurate than I'd care to admit

Except there are usually at least one *bump* post asking if anyone is going to take care of it, and I've generally already eaten the bacon before step #7 takes place (hence #3)

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

They have no idea of the discussion that goes on "backstage", where we often remind each other we are a "lightly moderated" board, and we let things go time after time after time, where it COULD have been modded just out of spite.

In fact, one of the biggest problems we have is INACTION because we talk things to death sometimes, and by the time we have a consensus, it just seems too late to mod it -- too much time has gone by.

Basically the process works like this:

1. someone reports a post
    2. we discuss it for a while.
    3. Then we propose banning rogue06
    4. When that fails we tell mossy how old she is.
    5. after getting whacked over the head by the Pin™ and told not to derail the report thread, we come to a decision
    6. We then wait several days for the area mod to implement that decision.
    7. I take the bacon and run.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    You might be surprised. There has been a goodly number of times that someone on staff has complained about being called a liar and could have modded it except for the rule but were told that the accusation was "substantiated" and hence not a violation.

Similarly, there have been complaints of blasphemy made by someone posting in the thread that were judged to be too mild to warrant modding.

We also reverse decisions made after discussion fairly regularly. It is one of the reasons we even have a place to complain about what someone thinks is an unfair decision (the padded room).
    They have no idea of the discussion that goes on "backstage", where we often remind each other we are a "lightly moderated" board, and we let things go time after time after time, where it COULD have been modded just out of spite.

In fact, one of the biggest problems we have is INACTION because we talk things to death sometimes, and by the time we have a consensus, it just seems too late to mod it -- too much time has gone by.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

A well-intended rule that, I suspect, has little actual effect. But I will not argue it further.
    You might be surprised. There has been a goodly number of times that someone on staff has complained about being called a liar and could have modded it except for the rule but were told that the accusation was "substantiated" and hence not a violation.

Similarly, there have been complaints of blasphemy made by someone posting in the thread that were judged to be too mild to warrant modding.

We also reverse decisions made after discussion fairly regularly. It is one of the reasons we even have a place to complain about what someone thinks is an unfair decision (the padded room).

Leave a comment: