Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hypocrisy? Regarding Phil Robertson and Don Sterling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypocrisy? Regarding Phil Robertson and Don Sterling

While the two cases aren't identical, I'm thinking the freedom of expression applies. Robertson was expressing his beliefs about homosexuality based on his understanding, while Sterling was expressing his beliefs about what races his girlfriend should associate with based on HIS understanding. Both, as far as I could see, were entitled to express those views despite my agreement or disagreement with them.

Was it fair to treat Sterling differently than Robertson because of what he said?
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

They certainly are entitled to express their views. And TV networks and sports associations are entitled to exact punishment as they see fit, as long as it doesn't involve prosecution or imprisonment.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Just as we are entitled to mock, scorn, deride, and shame TV networks and sport associations when they "exact" their "punishments."*

*Note that this is not an endorsement of any racist remarks made by certain individuals (or by Epo, when he posts here). Although it is an endorsement of anti-homosexual remarks.

Comment

Okay, humor me, why does the NBA deserve shame for taking this stand?

It was pretty much a necessary business decision on their part. They were standing to lose sponsors left and right, and players were on the verge of walking out. Their shame is that they should have done it long ago based on Sterling's paying out millions for discrimination in housing.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Well, Sterling makes huge profits off his players, the majority of whom are black. Robertson sells duck calls.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Some Dude View Post
            Just as we are entitled to mock, scorn, deride, and shame TV networks and sport associations when they "exact" their "punishments."*
            Well, yes, you have the right to do that as well. Although having that right doesn't make it right.

*Note that this is not an endorsement of any racist remarks made by certain individuals (or by Epo, when he posts here). Although it is an endorsement of anti-homosexual remarks.
            That's sad to read. You might as well be consistent and endorse racist remarks as well, then.
            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

If you sign a contract to represent a person place or thing, one should act in a manner that is fitting to said person place or thing. Clearly Sterling in his ownership is not capable of representing a majority black sports team.

However that said, he should have been forced out for asshattery racism earlier. I think Kareem Abdul Jabaar said it quite well, and targeted the hypocrisy he was seeing from the NAACP and the NBA. Though he is right. The NBA should NOT EVER tolerate this. Are they private? yes! but as a private non-discriminatory league, their conduct up until today regarding the tolerance of sterling has been reprehensible.
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hm...some things to mull over...

Robertson made his comments during an interview so he knew his views would be known to the public. Sterling didn't know he was being recorded and that his views would be made known to the public. Their views however were nothing new if one had paid any attention their backgrounds.

Robertson was representing himself as an employee of History Channel's TV show during the interview. Sterling was representing himself as NBA owner of the Clippers during his conversation with his girlfriend. Was a double standard used in our reactions?

Comment

My understanding is that there is a possibility that Sterling's former(?) GF was trying to set him up. Otherwise, I don't think Sterling was as racist as the msm is making him appear.
                  The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Also something I wonder about...I don't remember much about the lawsuits Sterling was involved in back in, what, the eighties? How much did the media vilify him then?....

*scribbles "read up on discrimination complaints" *

Comment

And from what I'm getting from reports....The gf is pretty vindictive. ..

Comment

As far as I can tell his sin is that he doesn't want to be associated with black people except as their overseer. I fail to see how he's any different from the average white liberal, other than that he is honest about it.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Truthseeker is right (it happens.) This was all likely a very big, very organized set-up:

Originally posted by Steve Sailer
                          For years, I've been pointing out that much of the hoopla over racism and sexism isn't actually about blacks or women or whatever. Instead, it serves as a cover story for ambitious, clever men to get what they want. For example, I've long been fascinated by how mortgage lenders like Angelo Mozilo, Roland Arnall, and Kerry Killinger used the rhetoric of the War on Racist Redlining to blow up the housing bubble.

Obsess over racism; pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

But in the Sterling Story, who is The Man?

I'll offer a theory about why the man might be Magic Johnson, who desperately wants Donald Sterling's NBA franchise now that the Buss family says they won't sell his old Lakers. But Magic was the front man in the purchase of the Los Angeles Dodgers two years ago. So it might be Magic's big money backers in Guggenheim Partners.

Or ... And this is really a stretch, but let me toss it out there. There's a financier in L.A. who invests some of his money with Guggenheim Partners who for intelligence and energy and guile makes Mozilo and the other mortgage guys look like smalltimers. You haven't heard much about him since he got out of prison a couple of decades ago. He's legally banned for life from getting anything in return for giving investment advice. But he's still here and he's allowed to manage his own billions. The SEC has been investigating whether the Dodger purchase by Guggenheim was something of a front for him to get back in the game.

Granted, I'm no doubt reading way too much into this. And if this story doesn't go all the way to the top, it's still really interesting. I apologize for this post wandering all over the place, but the more I looked into the story that Magic wants the Clippers, the more pieces fell into place.

Listening closely to the presumably illegally made tapes suggests that the mistress was setting the LA Clippers owner up -- she's the one egging on the racial angle over her photos cuddling with Magic Johnson and Matt Kemp of the Dodgers. Originally, I assumed her minor league lawyer was her mastermind, but the news that Magic and his mysterious Guggenheim Partners backers want control of Sterling's NBA franchise suggests that there's a reasonable chance that this whole set-up originated with somebody more high-powered than her Woodland Hills attorney. (This lawyer is so obscure that his office is on Burbank Blvd. rather than on Ventura Blvd.)

Former Los Angeles Lakers basketball star Magic Johnson was the public frontman for the secretive Guggenheim Partners in paying an outlandish $2 billion to Boston leveraged parking lot robber baron Frank McCourt for the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team. And now, what do you know, Magic and the Guggenheim Partners are willing to take the Los Angeles Clippers off Donald Sterling's hands and add it to their nascent Los Angeles sports empire.

In contrast, the new Guggenheim Partners firm is very high-powered. In fact, the SEC has been trying for a year to figure out if GP is so high-powered that its Los Angeles sports franchise acquisitions are done in illegal collaboration with ... well, I won't mention his name yet, but it's a smack-yourself-in-the-forehead name out of the history books of Los Angeles and finance. I'll tell you the name later in the posting, but for my readers who are at his annual Beverly Hills wingding today, why don't you ask around and see what your host thinks about the Clippers. Or ask Magic Johnson when he speaks at lunchtime on Wednesday....

...Now I have less than zero evidence that junk bond king Michael Milken has had anything to do with Donald Sterling's downfall. I mean other than that a year ago Milken had $800 million with Guggenheim and Guggenheim has been chasing sports franchises in Los Angeles and really wants to get the Clippers away from Sterling. So forget I ever mentioned the name Milken. This story has nothing to do with the ambitions of rich men. It's about racism. Nothing else. Stop thinking about anything other than the horrors of racism.
                          Donald Sterling could have shut this whole thing down (or at least changed the course of it considerably) with a simple line: "I didn't actually mean what I said; my wife simply can't have an orgasm anymore unless she hears lots of dirty racist talk from me first."

Then again, perhaps not having to manage the Clippers is a blessing in disguise. It couldn't have happened to a nicer Jewish commisar.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Okay, humor me, why does the NBA deserve shame for taking this stand?

It was pretty much a necessary business decision on their part. They were standing to lose sponsors left and right, and players were on the verge of walking out. Their shame is that they should have done it long ago based on Sterling's paying out millions for discrimination in housing.
                            What Don Sterling said was stupid. The reaction by nearly all concerned (not just the NBA) has been grossly disproportionate, however. As it stands, he'll still make a few hundred million from selling the team.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                              Also something I wonder about...I don't remember much about the lawsuits Sterling was involved in back in, what, the eighties? How much did the media vilify him then?....

*scribbles "read up on discrimination complaints" *
                              It was pretty well known among NBA fans. I knew about it. But because he paid out without ever admitting to wrongdoing, the league figured they would lose any court battle against him. Having said that, they probably could have done it if the private records are considered enough cause. The NBA's bylaws aren't public so I'm not sure exactly what they say.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment