Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hypocrisy? Regarding Phil Robertson and Don Sterling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meta Knight View Post
    What does George Zimmerman have to do with Cliven Bundy, Donald Sterling, or the price of tea in China?
    He doesn't actually believe they're racist. He mentions them because they follow a similar pattern of faux racism followed by faux outcry.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

The "racist" label is again being conflated to include exclusivist behavior. Nothing he said (based on what I've read) was racist. It was cowardice.

His perception of society frowns upon personal association with blacks to the detriment of one's social and professional life. His response is tacit compliance with "the way things are". The sad part is that it's probably true in the high circles he associates with. That's different than racism which is the belief that race X is inherently bad. Stereotyping, for example, is not racism but attributing trait X to individuals that the group as a whole tends to exhibit, whether real or perceived. Sterling did neither.

Society is being conditioned to believe that racism is the failure of complying with progressive ideas about the human condition. This little episode seems like righteous indignation but it's really a lynching based on public sentiment. Sterling is wholly wrong in his views, but the media's inaccurate portrayal of Sterling's actions are telling of the direction we're headed. It would be different if his views were publicly expressed and actually racist, but that's not what's going on here.

Comment

How is the media's portrayal of Sterling's actions inaccurate? I'd agree with questionable because it was clearly a private conversation, and illegal under California law, but how was it inaccurate?
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by nico View Post
            His perception of society frowns upon personal association with blacks to the detriment of one's social and professional life. His response is tacit compliance with "the way things are". The sad part is that it's probably true in the high circles he associates with. That's different than racism which is the belief that race X is inherently bad. Stereotyping, for example, is not racism but attributing trait X to individuals that the group as a whole tends to exhibit, whether real or perceived. Sterling did neither.
            I think it's close to "his perception of his bank account and business assets frowns on his mistress hanging around with the man most interested in taking his basketball team from them, and his response is tacit compliance with the way things are, no quotes."

Society is being conditioned to believe that racism is the failure of complying with progressive ideas about the human condition. This little episode seems like righteous indignation but it's really a lynching based on public sentiment. Sterling is wholly wrong in his views, but the media's inaccurate portrayal of Sterling's actions are telling of the direction we're headed. It would be different if his views were publicly expressed and actually racist, but that's not what's going on here.
            Sorry, but that's exactly the mental response liberals want you to have. Being leery of black people in general is entirely justifiable based on the present and past behavior of black people as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              He doesn't actually believe they're racist. He mentions them because they follow a similar pattern of faux racism followed by faux outcry.
              Exactly.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                How is the media's portrayal of Sterling's actions inaccurate? I'd agree with questionable because it was clearly a private conversation, and illegal under California law, but how was it inaccurate?
                Presumes facts not in evidence - not wishing to associate with a group is not necessarily the same thing as hating that group for an inherent trait. Saying stupid things about black people - or even unkind things - does not necessarily mean you hate black people for being black.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Presumes facts not in evidence - not wishing to associate with a group is not necessarily the same thing as hating that group for an inherent trait. Saying stupid things about black people - or even unkind things - does not necessarily mean you hate black people for being black.
                  Ah, ok.

Comment

Ravi Zacharias on Sterling: http://www.rzim.org/blog/cultural-is...rge-of-racism/
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      Ravi doth protest too much.

I look at such a man driving an auto-rickshaw for a living, sun-burnt himself but pronouncing curses upon others because of their complexion. I pity him. I pity him because he is uninformed, uneducated, socially marginalized, weak in his thinking capacity, and apparently the only way he can flex any muscle is by cursing others. He can almost be pardoned because he lives in a dark world with no light to help him see any better. He is inherently weak and the bumper stickers are his only strength.
                      That sounds perilously close to some classist denunciation there, Mr. Never Seen Outside of Suits. Are you sure that certain classes of people may not be using race as a proxy for behavior, i.e., content of character?

But a billionaire with all the knowledge of hate from the past and the need to look towards a future of civility and law, and yes, love for our fellow human beings…how did he get trapped in a dungeon of prejudice?
                      Real funny you should ask these questions when they have simple answers: Donald Sterling had seen the behavior of the group as a whole and judged it, favorably or unfavorably, based on the contents of their character.

Incomprehensible! Except when we put the human heart under a microscope can we see why. I remember once talking to the famed Joe Gibbs when he moved from being the iconic coach of an NFL team to owning a NASCAR team. I asked him how he made the switch from one sport to another one so drastically different in the skills needed. His answer was quite instructive. “They both have one thing in common—the depravity of man,” he said.
                      My guess is that he forgot to add an "agers" to the last word in the sentence. It's easy to impugn the judgments of people doing UGH MANUAL LABOR WITH COMMON PEOPLE when you rub shoulders with high-powered dudes who never have to do that work all day. I've always thought Ravi Zacharias was a bit of a lightweight in the apologetics world, but this cements his fundamental unseriousness when dealing with the issues of the day, and the people most responsible for them. Big hint, Ravi-you're hanging out with and flattering the people who need your preaching most.

Comment

Well, well...so the NBA will be voting on taking the team away from Sterling.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ilver/9307159/

Way to go, NBA. Give a Sterling the ammo he'll need for suing for violation of free speech and privacy.

Comment

If the NBA acted any differently, their players would be walking straight out and it would torpedo its financial value. Their hands are tied.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            If the NBA acted any differently, their players would be walking straight out and it would torpedo its financial value. Their hands are tied.
                            Sure you don't mean chained?

But seriously, professional sports are the opiate of America and the most popular religion substitute among those who would otherwise pursue more constructive interests. The sooner they destroy themselves, the better. May God bless Donald Sterling for revealing the corruption and mendacity that was always endemic in these organizations.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                              But seriously, professional sports are the opiate of America . . . .
                              Yes.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Black muscleman Terry Crews agrees with me.

I like his line at the end about how "all the players lose all discipline" after the practice is over.

Maybe he and SBPDL could come to an accord on this.

Comment