Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More vote buying from the left...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More vote buying from the left...

Virginia Attorney General Mark R. Herring announced today that children of illegal immigrants who are lawfully present in the United States under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program qualify for in-state tuition.

Herring said that the students, also referred to as DREAMers, will still need to gain admission to an institution of higher education, maintain their DACA status, and meet the same domicile requirements as all other students.

“These 'DREAMers are already Virginians in some very important ways. In most cases they were raised here, they graduated from Virginia schools, and they have known no home but Virginia,” Herring said in Alexandria this morning.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/st...a4bcf6878.html
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Is a distinction between wanting to do a kindness and bribery possible in your world view?

Comment

Is the distinction between preserving the democratic process and racism possible in yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
        Is a distinction between wanting to do a kindness and bribery possible in your world view?
        When you are you using your money to help people vs using everybody elses money to help people.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Meta Knight View Post
          Is the distinction between preserving the democratic process and racism possible in yours?
          Absolutely.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          When you are you using your money to help people vs using everybody elses money to help people.
          What about using both?

Comment

Yes. This is not "doing a kindness". It is allowing people who KNOW they are breaking the law to be pardoned with future loyalty expected as payment.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

What about using both?
              Pretty rare to see anybody using both. I find many people tend to be far more giving when it isn't their money they are giving away.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                Yes. This is not "doing a kindness". It is allowing people who KNOW they are breaking the law to be pardoned with future loyalty expected as payment.
                How do you know this?

Pretty rare to see anybody using both. I find many people tend to be far more giving when it isn't their money they are giving away.
                I think it's a safe assumption that Virginia Attorney General Mark R. Herring pays taxes.

Comment

I think it's a safe assumption that Virginia Attorney General Mark R. Herring pays taxes.
                  Is he paying as much in taxes as he is giving away?
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Is he paying as much in taxes as he is giving away?
                    As much as anyone else, and he was elected by the people of Virginia to make these kinds of decisions.

Comment

As much as anyone else, and he was elected by the people of Virginia to make these kinds of decisions.
                      And that doesn't mean he isn't using the government coffers to ensure that he keeps getting voted into office. Is this a hard concept for you to figure out? It isn't anything new, the Roman Emperors also used the government coffers to keep themselves popular and thus in power.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And that doesn't mean he isn't using the government coffers to ensure that he keeps getting voted into office. Is this a hard concept for you to figure out? It isn't anything new, the Roman Emperors also used the government coffers to keep themselves popular and thus in power.
                        My question is how one determines whether he is buying votes or doing what he considers a kindness. What is the distinction?

Comment

How do you know this?
                          Because it is paraded around at minority rallies in Virginia as a "See what we did for them? We can do the same for you! All you have to do is vote me into office."
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

My question is how one determines whether he is buying votes or doing what he considers a kindness. What is the distinction?
                            He is a public official who is making decisions for the entire Commonwealth, not a private citizen using his own ability to give selflessly.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Because it is paraded around at minority rallies in Virginia as a "See what we did for them? We can do the same for you! All you have to do is vote me into office."
                              Can you quote this? I would like to see the context.

He is a public official who is making decisions for the entire Commonwealth, not a private citizen using his own ability to give selflessly.
                              So?

Comment