Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So what is this toxic masculinity thing anyhow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I should have made clear - in Tass' world...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      You seem to be under the odd understanding that morals, or rules, need have objective realities in and of themselves in order that they have any value. I gave you an example above of a law of which its being "good" can be objectively true, while as a law in and of itself it has no reality. Speed limits on highways are an objective "good" for human communities, but speed limits have no objective reality in their own right. Moral laws are no different, the objectivity concerning them is in whether they serve the best interests of the community. And like speed limits, though not objective realities in their own right, they are not divine laws, the "good" with respect to morals, have nothing to do with whether you subjectively agree with them or not.
      Speed limits are rules, not morals. And they are relative. We might have a speed limit of 5MPH on one street and 50MPH on another. They are relative to the streets and they are made up arbitrarily by governments. We used to have 75MPH on Interstates, then they changed it to 55MPh, the 65MPH and now 70MPH.

Figures you would use a relative example to claim it objective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Some of the very people that supported slavery, i.e. the Southern Baptist Convention, believe in the existence of divinely revealed objective morality. And yet they no-longer support slavery, which is now considered to be immoral. So much for objective morality.
        people are frequently wrong about objective morality. Just like they were wrong about the shape of the earth. Or about the solar system.

Here is a question for you: Why is slavery wrong? If it is just a societal thing then how can it be wrong?

Comment

• This thread has spiralled considerably since I started it. I think I want it done. I got an answer to my original question and I dont want to cause any strife. I might talk more about this subject in more detail at some point
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWall View Post
            This thread has spiralled considerably since I started it. I think I want it done. I got an answer to my original question and I dont want to cause any strife. I might talk more about this subject in more detail at some point
            Are you asking for the thread to be closed? That can certainly happen.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Are you asking for the thread to be closed? That can certainly happen.
              Yeah. Close it down.
              sigpic

Comment

• Moderated By: CP

Thread closed at Thread Owner's request.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment