Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Brexit vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firstfloor
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I still don't understand all I know about this, but I love watching that bit where the people keep popping up like whack-a-moles.
    All you need to know is that Parliament is giving the British ‘Trump’ a good kicking.

Meanwhile, realTrump is targeting sick and dying children for deportation. GOP are quite relaxed about all that fascist manoeuvring.
    Last edited by firstfloor; 09-04-2019, 01:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    The UK has long prided itself on its unwritten constitution - and it's finding out the hard way one of the disadvantages of an unwritten constitution.

I like the part where parliament is claiming to be preserving democracy after three years of not doing what the people told them to!

Of course, it's more fun when you don't have a dog in the fight...
    The EU referendum of 2016 was not legally binding but the government of the day promised to implement the result. The referendum was a bad idea at the start because the people were already represented by their Members of Parliament. The Cons did it to pacify their evil back benchers. The government failed to deliver Brexit and are now hanging by a thread. A new government might be elected on the promise that Article 50 is revoked, and we stay in the EU!

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    The UK has long prided itself on its unwritten constitution - and it's finding out the hard way one of the disadvantages of an unwritten constitution.

I like the part where parliament is claiming to be preserving democracy after three years of not doing what the people told them to!

Of course, it's more fun when you don't have a dog in the fight...

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I still don't understand all I know about this, but I love watching that bit where the people keep popping up like whack-a-moles.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Parliamentary Agenda Vote

Looks like he called for a general election.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Boris loses a vote.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Boris v the EU’s solidarity fund.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    It only makes sense that everyone should be pro-rogue.
    It can set off a constitutional crisis and possibly destroy a nation. Frighteningly apropos...

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    We have had parliament prorogued here, as well.
    It only makes sense that everyone should be pro-rogue.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    This one may, or may not, be a constitutional crisis. And may, or may not, result in the dissolution of the Union.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Interesting that Boris appeared to need the Queen's permission to suspend Parliament. I was under the impression that at this point that the royals were purely figureheads.
    We have had parliament prorogued here, as well. But the PM only has to go to the Governor General, who is the representative of the Queen. I remember once, when Stephen Harper was PM, and the Liberals and the NDP were planning coalition of their parties to unseat him. There have been other times, but I don't recall them.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    The Queen has little if any option; she has to follow the advice given to her by her Prime Minister. She has no other advisor.
    When did it become mandatory to take any advice proffered?

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Interesting that Boris appeared to need the Queen's permission to suspend Parliament. I was under the impression that at this point that the royals were purely figureheads.
    The Queen has little if any option; she has to follow the advice given to her by her Prime Minister. She has no other advisor.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    My brudder gets himself into everything, but I've never seen "pro" used as part of his name!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Maybe they keep her around for such a time as this!

Leave a comment: