Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Brexit vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parliament will be suspended just days after MPs return to work in September - and only a few weeks before the Brexit deadline.

Boris Johnson said a Queen's Speech would take place after the suspension, on 14 October, to outline his "very exciting agenda".
    A no-deal Brexit is looking likely at this point.

I could probably do UK tours of religious sites while the pound is so cheap for you Yanks. What you think?
    Last edited by firstfloor; 08-28-2019, 02:09 PM.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• While I agree, there does seem to be some movement within the EU (I grant, I think it's more posturing but it might not be).

My guess is they are now playing 'who gets the eventual blame' - but realistically, a no deal was pretty much guaranteed back in April. If neither side is going to move then all the extensions in the world won't do anything but delay the inevitable. And it never looked like there were enough Remainers in Parliament to actually derail the thing (which is what it looked like they were trying to do).

Not my country - and all I really remember from Comparative Politics is how insane the British Constitution is.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        A no-deal Brexit is looking likely at this point.

I could probably do UK tours of religious sites while the pound is so cheap for you Yanks. What you think?
        Interesting that Boris appeared to need the Queen's permission to suspend Parliament. I was under the impression that at this point that the royals were purely figureheads.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Interesting that Boris appeared to need the Queen's permission to suspend Parliament. I was under the impression that at this point that the royals were purely figureheads.
          The UK constitution is weird.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Wow - parliament will be prorogued for nearly a month. The queen signed off on it - obstensively for her upcoming speech.

BBC special about it (long):

TLDR News explanation (short):

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Wow - parliament will be prorogued...
              My brudder gets himself into everything, but I've never seen "pro" used as part of his name!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Maybe they keep her around for such a time as this!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  My brudder gets himself into everything, but I've never seen "pro" used as part of his name!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The Queen has little if any option; she has to follow the advice given to her by her Prime Minister. She has no other advisor.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      The Queen has little if any option; she has to follow the advice given to her by her Prime Minister. She has no other advisor.
                      When did it become mandatory to take any advice proffered?
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

We have had parliament prorogued here, as well. But the PM only has to go to the Governor General, who is the representative of the Queen. I remember once, when Stephen Harper was PM, and the Liberals and the NDP were planning coalition of their parties to unseat him. There have been other times, but I don't recall them.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• This one may, or may not, be a constitutional crisis. And may, or may not, result in the dissolution of the Union.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            We have had parliament prorogued here, as well.
                            It only makes sense that everyone should be pro-rogue.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It only makes sense that everyone should be pro-rogue.
                              It can set off a constitutional crisis and possibly destroy a nation. Frighteningly apropos...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Boris v the EU’s solidarity fund.

Comment