Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's National Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Trump actually said something funny today --- something about the "catch and release", and "we let them go and tell them to come back to court in 2 or 3 years --- but only 2% actually show up for court, and we don't want to keep those ones because they're that stupid".

Yeah, I know, I'm a deplorable person for finding that comical.
    Well - the fact that Trump said it makes it semi-comical - and (as usual) flat out untrue. Without support, the numbers for those showing up is 60-75% depending on what part of the country you're talking about. Ankle bracelets improve those numbers. Then there is (or was) the Family Case Management Program (FCMP), which demonstrated over 99% compliance with ICE check-ins and 100% compliance with court appearances. But Trump (and many on the right) don't like to talk about these successes. It doesn't fit with the "catch and release" narrative and "those nasty old illegal immigrants" narrative.

Reality doesn't change just because someone (even Mr. Trump) makes up facts. These numbers come from ICE. Once would think they would have a motivation to get them right.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Well - the fact that Trump said it makes it semi-comical - and (as usual) flat out untrue...
      I said it was comical, I didn't say it was true. You can be SUCH the buzzkill.

(ETA: I started to type "watch Carpe try to turn this into an item of debate")
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, when somebody breaks the law, who gets to determine that it "doesn't seem to rise to that level of harm"?
        That is why we have a judiciary. Someone who steals a car or loaf of bread is demonstrably different from someone who holds up a convenience store with a gun. Someone who shows a pattern of behavior is demonstrably different from the down-on-his-luck person who is a first offender. A murder is different than a petty thief. These aren't odd or new ideas. They have been part of our judiciary as long as we have had one.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I said it was comical, I didn't say it was true. You can be SUCH the buzzkill.
          That is, "Mr. Buzzkill, Sir," to you!
          Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-14-2019, 07:01 PM.

Comment

That is "Mr. Buzzkill, Sir" - to you!
            No, that was my Uncle Jenks, you're Buzzkill Jr.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, that was my Uncle Jenks, you're Buzzkill Jr.
              When you have two complete, independent sentences and you wish to show a close relationship, they are not separated by a comma. They are correctly separated by a semi-colon. To whit:

No, that was my Uncle Jenks; you're Buzzkill Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Let's apply the "no family separation" policy to every other crime...
                Applying for asylum is not a crime.

It's only been only a few days since you were given an example of a legal immigrant having their child taken from them, yet here you are once again repeating the lie that only criminals suffered from having their families separated.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  It is if they don't wait and cross illegally.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    It is if they don't wait and cross illegally.
                    Bovine faeces.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Bovine faeces.
                      Are you denying it happens? Because it does, and frequently.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

When you have two complete, independent sentences and you wish to show a close relationship, they are not separated by a comma. They are correctly separated by a semi-colon. To whit:

No, that was my Uncle Jenks; you're Buzzkill Jr.

Yes, commas are my downfall, I'll give that some serious consideration.

(he who lives by the pen must understand that he dies by the pen)

Comment

So "being in the middle" and "seeing both sides" are not the same thing. I can see and understand the arguments made by both sides of the gun, debate, for example. That doesn't change the fact that I am strongly for gun control, and would like to see the second amendment repealed. So on that subject, I can "see both sides" but I am strongly left. Similar thing applies to abortion - but on that one I believe both sides are wrong and stuck in their "my way or the highway" position - dooming the whole discussion to non-resolution pretty much forever.

Yep - all of those types of test that I have taken have consistently put me left of center to various (but with minor variation) degrees - as a general average. The problem is that a "general average" doesn't say much. What's missing is the "standard deviation." On average, I am left of center, but I have a very high standard deviation from topic to topic.

I don't believe I have ever claimed to be "fair and balanced." If you know of such a claim made by me - by all means link it. Otherwise, you appear to be putting words in my mouth.
                          OK I apologize, you are not fair and balanced.

Comment

• 00000000000000a00001.jpg

Primarily since it irks carpe and starlight -- so it's obviously doing some good.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              There is no doubt that Trump stretches the truth beyond the breaking point. Pretty much like every politician of every party before him. But the foaming at the mouth sufferers of TDS love to pad the list with a massive number of examples of what a rational person can quickly deduce are statements of opinion that those who fabricate these lists simply disagree with. I've noted repeatedly that the sort of lists of lies you see circulating have been cobbled together about every president and tend to be loaded with things that by any stretch of the imagination aren't lies but rather statements of opinion and mistakes ("Obama LIED when he said there were 57 states!" is one I remember seeing more than once). The difference was that previously these sort of things were circulated by fringe groups and only appeared upon occasion in an email or on a late night radio talk show but now are eagerly disseminated by supposedly respectable news outlets.

One other thing to note. Recently I heard a Never Trumper conservative reluctantly concede that Trump behaves a lot like a stereotypical New Yorker -- especially those from Brooklyn and Queens -- where everything is the biggest, the best, the greatest... (until now I only thought Texans spoke that way about what they do ). But the TDS afflicted leap on those sort of statements as "LIES!" (it wasn't the biggest like Trump claimed but only the third biggest so he is a unforgivable low down liar!).

Recently some of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's supporters defended her often hilarious flubs declaring that stodgy Washingtonians just didn't understand how New Yorkers tend to say things. They, of course, would never think for a moment of giving Trump the same benefit of the doubt. Too much unreasoning hatred there. After all, he committed the unpardonable sin of defeating the candidate that our betters had in their infinite wisdom selected for us to rule... er, govern the country -- even rigging primaries (so that she'd get the most delegates regardless of who the commoners voted for) and debates (giving her the questions in advance so she could concoct an answer she thought people would buy).
                              The Washington Post has just provided an excellent example of just what sort of things get included into these various lists of "lies" that Trump tells that gets the left's knickers all in a bunch.

Yesterday Trump hosted the Clemson University's football team at the White House after they defeated Alabama at the College Football Playoff National Championship. Due to the partial government shutdown the White House kitchen staff has been furloughed so Trump went out and bought $3000 worth of fast food for them. What upset those afflicted with TDS at the Washington Post was Trump's statement that they had hamburgers stacked "a mile high." So they actually had what is painfully obviously a figure of speech fact checked to see if the hamburgers would literally be a mile high

Yup. You read that right. They actually fact checked it.

Their solemn conclusion? "At two inches each, a thousand burgers would not reach one mile high."

So this will now join the list of LIES! told by Trump
                              Last edited by rogue06; 01-15-2019, 02:59 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                The Washington Post has just provided an excellent example of just what sort of things get included into these various lists of "lies" that Trump tells that gets the left's knickers all in a bunch.

Yesterday Trump hosted the Clemson University's football team at the White House after they defeated Alabama at the College Football Playoff National Championship. Due to the partial government shutdown the White House kitchen staff has been furloughed so Trump went out and bought $3000 worth of fast food for them. What upset those afflicted with TDS at the Washington Post was Trump's statement that they had hamburgers stacked "a mile high." So they actually had what is painfully obviously a figure of speech fact checked to see if the hamburgers would literally be a mile high

Yup. You read that right. They actually fact checked it.

Their solemn conclusion? "At two inches each, a thousand burgers would not reach one mile high."

So this will now join the list of LIES! told by Trump
                                I ceased to be surprised by things like this after people were taking the painfully obvious joke about Russian dressing seriously.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment