Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How would pro-gun people here defend this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would pro-gun people here defend this?

I've grown up in a country where virtually all guns are illegal, though extremely limited options are available if you want to hunt (though you may never have more than one bullet in the rifle, and you may load only immediately prior to firing while on a hunting range).

I'm not against guns though, and I don't know if the anti-gun laws actually help anything. So count me as a fence sitter on this one.

However I've wondered how gun supporters in this forum would react to the following news story: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/2...pe_redirect=no

Ought it be allowed to use guns for trolling purposes?

I think a solid beating is warranted.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

How do you think gun control would have prevented this guy from being a jackass. That might answer your question.

Comment

Oregon has a gun policy that allows you to shoot idiots like these. It's not a bad idea.
        I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          How do you think gun control would have prevented this guy from being a jackass. That might answer your question.
          Gun control basically enables jackasses to make a more lucrative living in their jackassery. The mafia tends to prefer heavies to fingermen in terms of return on investment, better to be able to bully as many of the producers as possible instead of having to kill them.

The inverse relationship doesn't appeal as much to me as a non-governing individual, because even if you could bully those in power into doing what you wanted, could you really guarantee they'd do even a passable job?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            I've grown up in a country where virtually all guns are illegal, though extremely limited options are available if you want to hunt (though you may never have more than one bullet in the rifle, and you may load only immediately prior to firing while on a hunting range).

I'm not against guns though, and I don't know if the anti-gun laws actually help anything. So count me as a fence sitter on this one.

However I've wondered how gun supporters in this forum would react to the following news story: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/2...pe_redirect=no

Ought it be allowed to use guns for trolling purposes?
            As an avid gun owner and gun rights supporter, I think the consensus is going to be...WHAT an IDIOT!

Even though, he was properly licensed and no one was hurt or threatened, it was a pretty dumb thing to do. However, we allow all kinds of dumb things but we don't take everything away from everyone. i.e. it's pretty dumb to text and drive. Many people every year are hurt or killed doing it. We haven't taken cars or cell phones away from everyone...
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              As an avid gun owner and gun rights supporter, I think the consensus is going to be...WHAT an IDIOT!

Even though, he was properly licensed and no one was hurt or threatened, it was a pretty dumb thing to do. However, we allow all kinds of dumb things but we don't take everything away from everyone. i.e. it's pretty dumb to text and drive. Many people every year are hurt or killed doing it. We haven't taken cars or cell phones away from everyone...
              What you said.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                Oregon has a gun policy that allows you to shoot idiots like these. It's not a bad idea.
                '

Yeah, in Texas, you just have to tell the Judge, "Well, Your Honor, he JUST needed killin"

All seriousness aside, though --- unfortunately, you can't legislate stupidity.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  BIG time.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I support the right to bear arms, I do not support the right to intimidate people with it. Sometimes common sense dictates the removal of a person.
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                      I support the right to bear arms,
                      And the right to arm bears?

Comment

images.jpg
                        We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          And the right to arm bears?
                          Bears come pre armed. That is why you carry a weapon to confront them.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

What would you guys have done in that situation?

To me there seems to be something utterly unbalanced about what that news article said happened. He could taunt and make a large crowd highly uncomfortable, freely, without anyone being able to do anything, just as he said. He got to fulfill a power fantasy. In any organisation, or anywhere with any form of moral backbone and the ability to enforce it, that gun would have been taken away from that man.

Can we all agree that while what he did wasn't illegal, it was sufficiently wrong so that he ought to have his gun forcefully taken away from him by law? He wasn't handling it responsible.

However if you don't think that the gun laws were tight enough, what sort of solution would you prefer?
                            Last edited by Leonhard; 04-28-2014, 06:38 AM.

Comment

I think all of the parents should be carrying guns. Then when a jerk like this struts around, they all surround him, and say "We have guns too. Now get the hell away from our children"

I bet it would be the last time he ever tried something so stupid.

Comment