Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How would pro-gun people here defend this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    What would you guys have done in that situation?

To me there seems to be something utterly unbalanced about what that news article said happened. He could taunt and make a large crowd highly uncomfortable, freely, without anyone being able to do anything, just as he said. He got to fulfill a power fantasy. In any organisation, or anywhere with any form of moral backbone and the ability to enforce it, that gun would have been taken away from that man.

Can we all agree that while what he did wasn't illegal, it was sufficiently wrong so that he ought to have his gun forcefully taken away from him by law? He wasn't handling it responsible.

However if you don't think that the gun laws were tight enough, what sort of solution would you prefer?
    Had it been a butcher's knife, I suspect they would have had cause to arrest him. This seems to create a strange legal situation, and I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Having said that, I wasn't privy to exactly what he was doing so it's hard for me to judge just how strange his actions were. I do agree that, on a moral level as opposed to a legal level, great responsibility comes with gun ownership and that this guy's actions fall short.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

CP can correct me if I'm wrong here, but if this had been Texas, he would have been arrested, even with a license. As Texas has Concealed carry only, and revealing a concealed weapon without reason is a violation of the CCL law.
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        CP can correct me if I'm wrong here, but if this had been Texas, he would have been arrested, even with a license. As Texas has Concealed carry only, and revealing a concealed weapon without reason is a violation of the CCL law.
        Correct. It is considered "brandishing a lethal weapon", and from what I can tell, it's even a GREATER offense if somebody IS licensed and does this, because there's prima facie evidence that they KNEW it was illegal.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

On the other hand, in my state, open carry is perfectly legal. Had the incident happened here, I suspect that the result would be roughly the same as happened in the article. I am aware of one pretty broad general statute concerning disorderly conduct that a particularly intrepid officer might try arresting him on, but I'd say the chance of a favorable probable cause ruling would be about 50-50...and I just don't see a conviction happening.

Seems like he was just some moron trying to make a political statement. While I understand parents being alarmed..honestly...they were scared because he made statements about his legal rights and asked if they wanted to see his gun? Maybe the article's leaving out a few details. I dunno, I just find that strange, not frightening. But then, I always have a gun on me, too (though the moron in the article wouldn't have known so unless I needed to use it).
          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

In Alabama, we permit open carry but the property owner/agent has the right to refuse access to someone with a gun (no guns allowed). In this case, the property might have been public so an ordinance would be necessary (why it hasn't already been passed is a separate question).

The right to carry firearms is matched by the duty to not use them inappropriately. Being a moron doesn't prove or disprove anything about gun control - it just proves the guy is a moron.

FYI: I'm pro-gun control.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I don't think there is any way to defend that.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                In Alabama, we permit open carry but the property owner/agent has the right to refuse access to someone with a gun (no guns allowed). In this case, the property might have been public so an ordinance would be necessary (why it hasn't already been passed is a separate question).

The right to carry firearms is matched by the duty to not use them inappropriately. Being a moron doesn't prove or disprove anything about gun control - it just proves the guy is a moron.

FYI: I'm pro-gun control.
                My state just passed a law last week prohibiting cities from making their own gun ordinances.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

eh, I can see the point but local governments interact with property in ways that more removed governments don't - or at least don't do as often - so that's kinda silly.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

What's really interesting is that before I got on Tweb yesterday, I wrote a four page paper on the importance of allowing American citizens their right to bear arms and defend themselves. This thread really reinforced how important the Second Amendment is to Americans.
                    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      My state just passed a law last week prohibiting cities from making their own gun ordinances.
                      I see that as an excellent idea.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        I see that as an excellent idea.
                        I'm really surprised at how conservatives in the state are so supportive of a law that takes power away from local governments.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          I'm really surprised at how conservatives in the state are so supportive of a law that takes power away from local governments.
                          I think it's more that conservatives in the state think it's a power that the local government shouldn't have in the first place.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Cities do not, or should not, have the authority to override the Constitution. States do not, or should not, have the authority to override the Constitution. The Federal government does not, or should not, have the authority to override the Constitution.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Cities do have and should have the authority to regulate use and access to public parks. The Second Amendment is not a license to carry any gun anywhere - nor has it EVER been.

And for the record, until the Court held differently a few years back and finally incorporated the silly thing, the states had EVERY right to regulate guns UNDER THE CONSTITUTION. Being in the BoA does NOT automatically mean it applies to the states - the BoA didn't apply to the states AT ALL prior to the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments added after the Civil War.

Constitutional Law: It's what's for breakfast....

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

That's correct. The Second Amendment says that guns cannot be banned altogether. It does not preclude reasonable restrictions from being passed regulating where they may be used.

Comment