Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Future and Direction of the GOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future and Direction of the GOP

I found this article interesting. One quote, in particular, jumped out at me. It's from Larry Hogan, the GOP governor of Maryland:

If you’re going to be a majority party, you’ve got to appeal to a majority of people.

It seems to me that this is a dilemma for the GOP. It is faced with the choice between adhering to its "core values," many of which are no longer supported by the majority of the country, or shifting its stance to align with the majority of the country so as to attract a broader base.

There is little doubt in my mind that Trumpism, while it has rallied a significant chunk of the Republican party, has actually alienated part of a party that is already well below the majority. It has also rallied Democrats and independent progressives and liberals as much as it has Republicans and independent conservatives.

I'm curious to know how others see this dilemma?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Which of the core values do you think the GOP needs to abandon or soften?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Which of the core values do you think the GOP needs to abandon or soften?
      Well, the majority of Americans:

1) Want stricter gun control laws (69%)
      2) Support gay marriage (67%) and LGBTQ rights (72%)
      3) Want a "medicare-for-all" single-payer model (70%)
      4) Want a balanced federal budget (89%)

Republicans appear to be largely against 1-3, and their actions (though not their words) are against #4. To be fair, Democrats do not fare any better with #4. They talk a good game - until they are in power. Then it's the same-old-same-old.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        I found this article interesting. One quote, in particular, jumped out at me. It's from Larry Hogan, the GOP governor of Maryland:

If you’re going to be a majority party, you’ve got to appeal to a majority of people.

It seems to me that this is a dilemma for the GOP. It is faced with the choice between adhering to its "core values," many of which are no longer supported by the majority of the country, or shifting its stance to align with the majority of the country so as to attract a broader base.

There is little doubt in my mind that Trumpism, while it has rallied a significant chunk of the Republican party, has actually alienated part of a party that is already well below the majority. It has also rallied Democrats and independent progressives and liberals as much as it has Republicans and independent conservatives.

I'm curious to know how others see this dilemma?
        Actually I think the reason Trump won was because he appealed to the actual GOP core values where many of the Republican candidates did not. Like traditional marriage, border protection, jobs, capitalism, God and country. MAGA.

Comment

Republicans appear to be largely against 1-3, and their actions (though not their words) are against #4. To be fair, Democrats do not fare any better with #4. They talk a good game - until they are in power. Then it's the same-old-same-old.
          Did you actually READ the article you posted?

It wasn't about those issues - it was basically that Trump is a jackass who alienates wide swaths of the populace, and I concur.

So, again --- FROM YOUR ARTICLE --- what are the core values that the GOP needs to jettison or downplay?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You seem to be listening to the liberal bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              You seem to be listening to the liberal bubble.
              I think JimL may have turned him onto the "Liberal Talking Points for Dummies".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I think JimL may have turned him onto the "Liberal Talking Points for Dummies".
                As the liberals found out during the last election, a lot of these polls are wrong because a lot of conservatives don't like to broadcast their values, they just live them. But during elections or when the values are threatened they show up in numbers.

So when I see a poll that says most people want stricter gun control I figure they either didn't ask the right people, or the questions were so skewed as to get the answer they wanted. Like "Are you for keeping our children safe from being shot in the streets?" "of course!" and they get marked down as wanting more gun control. or something like that.

Comment

Republicans are NOT against #1.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...kground-checks
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Usually when they say "stricter gun control laws" they mean bans and restrictions on ownership though. Like making AR-15s illegal.

Comment

Usually when they say "stricter gun control laws" they mean bans and restrictions on ownership though. Like making AR-15s illegal.
                      Which is how they do these surveys. There are never specifics, nor any indication that a bulk of America even understands HOW to do any of these things.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

As the liberals found out during the last election, a lot of these polls are wrong because a lot of conservatives don't like to broadcast their values, they just live them. But during elections or when the values are threatened they show up in numbers.

So when I see a poll that says most people want stricter gun control I figure they either didn't ask the right people, or the questions were so skewed as to get the answer they wanted. Like "Are you for keeping our children safe from being shot in the streets?" "of course!" and they get marked down as wanting more gun control. or something like that.
                        You must have missed the midterm elections. 8 million more people voted for democrats than for republicans. Even when republicans win, they usually lose the popular vote and that trend is continuing. You have to give them credit though, they are very good at cheating and taking advantage of the process.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          You must have missed the midterm elections. 8 million more people voted for democrats than for republicans. Even when republicans win, they usually lose the popular vote and that trend is continuing. You have to give them credit though, they are very good at cheating and taking advantage of the process.
                          So running up the vote in liberal states is a key to victory Jimmy?
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            If you hate the process so much... move.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Actually I think the reason Trump won was because he appealed to the actual GOP core values where many of the Republican candidates did not. Like traditional marriage, border protection, jobs, capitalism, God and country. MAGA.
                              Although Trump did indeed pay lip service to many such things, from what I see, Trump won mostly because:

1) He wasn't Hillary
                              2) He tapped and stoked right-wing anger and hatred against immigrants, Muslims, Democrats, liberals, and anything else he could get the right to jump on vilifying.
                              3) He made a long list of promises he didn't (and doesn't) have a prayer of fulfilling, related to jobs, border walls, etc. (i.e., he was and is a con man).
                              4) He outplayed the Clinton campaign in the electoral college
                              5) The leak of Comey's last minute letter to Congress that he was reopening the investigation into the email due to the Weiner computer.
                              6) SCOTUS

During his campaign, Trump voiced support for the LGBTQ community, and then turned on them after he was elected. And Trump has about as much to do with god as I do. I'd love to see a comparison of how many times he's been to church since elected, versus how many times he's played a round of golf.

Comment