Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What the "Others" Want

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Smokin' the funny stuff again, Jim?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Smokin' the funny stuff again, Jim?
        I wish!

Comment

I wish!
          For once, you're telling the truth!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You pretty much have to be a millionaire just to buy the office, and you have a pretty good chance of coming out a multi-millionaire. It just stinks, and we no longer have "citizen legislators".
            The huge amounts of money in General Elections make the result look like a sort of civic simony. That cannot be healthy for a supposedly Christian culture, or good for people’s integrity & civic virtue, or for the Common Good. How can a POTUS have the independence to be impartial & just, if he is indebted for his position to sectional interests or to the very wealthy ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
              The huge amounts of money in General Elections make the result look like a sort of civic simony. That cannot be healthy for a supposedly Christian culture, or good for people’s integrity & civic virtue, or for the Common Good. How can a POTUS have the independence to be impartial & just, if he is indebted for his position to sectional interests or to the very wealthy ?
              As much money gets poured into a presidential campaign it is a pittance compared to what is spent on a major advertisement campaign pushing this or that product.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                As much money gets poured into a presidential campaign it is a pittance compared to what is spent on a major advertisement campaign pushing this or that product.
                Yes - but the "major product" doesn't set policy for our country...

Actually - your comment made me wonder. In 2018, $5.2B was spent on the elections. Of course, that was for 468 congressional seats plus all of the state elections. Maybe 5,000 people total? So about $1 per "product." The annual expenditure for advertising for all of the U.S. is about $71B. I wonder how many "products" that advertises. I have to believe we have a lot more than 71,000 products advertised and sold.

Bottom line - product-for-product - election campaigns seem to be high on the "expensive" list.

I seriously doubt any single product sees that kind of money.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
                  Bernie Sanders for President!

Comment

Bernie Sanders for President!
                    Thank you, Lord, that this never came to be, and never will.

Comment

Thank you, Lord, that this never came to be, and never will.
                      We agree there. The progressive left doesn't understand human nature and why things sometimes need to be hard, or what is actually required to solve the legitimate problems they want to solve. The right is lost in a cult of man and a lack of capacity to reason. We are really in big trouble right now because there is no one of integrity, intelligence, and moderation at the helm.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

The right is lost in a cult of man and a lack of capacity to reason.
                        Are they? There are definitely some trump supporters, but I don't see it nearly as much as you seem to think exists.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          We are really in big trouble right now because there is no one of integrity, intelligence, and moderation at the helm.
                          That almost sounds like a criticism of old Joe and the Democrats. Could it be that you are finally beginning to emerge from your bubble?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment