Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Warren calls Trumps bluff, proves native american heritage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    So first - WAY too broad a brush. Second - when did I say anything about morality? (well - in this thread, anyway )
    is "broad brush" your vocabulary word of the week or something?

I agree with all of these statements (I also think that people can choose to behave offensively).
    Of course there are exceptions to anything Carp. If someone is harassing someone on purpose, calling them names or bullying them, then yes, they can be offensive and should be stopped. I am talking about liberals taking offense at things not meant to be offensive, like a figure of speech, as in the case of "chink in his armor" or being offending by someone trying to be polite, or wearing a MAGA hat, or eating meat or keeping animals as pets.

And a lot of conservatives and people on the right use that reality to wave away many things that actually are inappropriate, offensive, and we should not be tolerating in our society.
    well carp, when chicken little goes around yelling the sky is falling all the time, soon enough people will start ignoring him.

Yes, it is. And none of this post of yours has anything to do with anything I have said. This is not a first amendment issue (which is about the government - not about personal conversations or business exchanges). This is not a morality issue. This is not a "I'm right and they are wrong" issue. What I was discussing was the ESPN choice and a business decision. If you elect to run a business, and ignore what may offend your clients, you are free to do so. Personally, I think it is a foolish decision. Without care to what the client does and does not find offensive, you will quickly find yourself with few clients. So I stand behind my position: if I had a teacher on staff using that kind of language, and the client objected, I would have a conversation with the teacher in question. If they persisted in doing it and I received additional complaints, I would fire the teacher. A teacher's job is to teach. You cannot teach if the students in the room are caught up in "reactions" to your choice of words. If you're not willing to adjust your words to avoid the reaction, then you can't teach for me because you are not being an effective teacher. End of story, IMO.
    I was discussing your words, "why take the chance on offense?"

Because when you think like that, you are at the mercy of everyone who wants to play victim in order to force you into compliance or gain power over you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      is "broad brush" your vocabulary word of the week or something?
      Probably. CP has been keeping me honest on my occasional forays into it. I acknowledge it when I do it. It dawned on me that most people here paint with such a broad brush and I decided to call it out when I see it. I'm frankly curious to see if anyone else acknowledges when they do it.

Of course, that will probably get me a "virtue signaling" accusation...

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Of course there are exceptions to anything Carp. If someone is harassing someone on purpose, calling them names or bullying them, then yes, they can be offensive and should be stopped. I am talking about liberals taking offense at things not meant to be offensive, like a figure of speech, as in the case of "chink in his armor" or being offending by someone trying to be polite, or wearing a MAGA hat, or eating meat or keeping animals as pets.
      I'll comment on this below.

well carp, when chicken little goes around yelling the sky is falling all the time, soon enough people will start ignoring him.
      There's that broad brush again...

I was discussing your words, "why take the chance on offense?"

Because when you think like that, you are at the mercy of everyone who wants to play victim in order to force you into compliance or gain power over you.
      When you are in business, you are at that mercy anyway.

But I will make an observation about offense and responsibility. One that I think is not well understood here, with relation to me. My basic philosophy of life is about self-responsibility. When I engage in a conversation about "toxic masculinity," for example, my primary focus is myself. If someone around me is offended by something I've said or done, my first question is "did I act offensively in any way" and "what does that's person's feedback tell me about myself?" If my response to the first is "no," and my response to the second is "nothing of import," then I let them be offended and move on. No fuss no muss.

But if my response to the first is "yes," I work to change my behavior. If my response to the second is, "wow - I never realized that about myself - and I don't like it," I work to change my behavior and attitudes. So when I open a door for a woman, and she responds with "you chauvinist pig!" My first question is "did I do something offensive?" The answer is "no" - I merely opened a door. " Then I ask "what does that reaction tell me about myself." If the answer is "you know, I have a tendency to open doors for women because I perceive them as weaker and in need of my help," then I'll work to change that mindset, because it's not a very good one. If my answer is "I opened the door because she's a human being and it was the polite thing to do," then I'll smile and say, "have a nice day," and move on without giving it a second thought. The problem is hers, not mine.

I think that's a healthy way to live. I think we should all be functioning that way. If I am assessing someone else's behavior, it's against that model.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Probably. CP has been keeping me honest on my occasional forays into it. I acknowledge it when I do it. It dawned on me that most people here paint with such a broad brush and I decided to call it out when I see it. I'm frankly curious to see if anyone else acknowledges when they do it.

Of course, that will probably get me a "virtue signaling" accusation...

I'll comment on this below.

There's that broad brush again...

When you are in business, you are at that mercy anyway.

But I will make an observation about offense and responsibility. One that I think is not well understood here, with relation to me. My basic philosophy of life is about self-responsibility. When I engage in a conversation about "toxic masculinity," for example, my primary focus is myself. If someone around me is offended by something I've said or done, my first question is "did I act offensively in any way" and "what does that's person's feedback tell me about myself?" If my response to the first is "no," and my response to the second is "nothing of import," then I let them be offended and move on. No fuss no muss.

But if my response to the first is "yes," I work to change my behavior. If my response to the second is, "wow - I never realized that about myself - and I don't like it," I work to change my behavior and attitudes. So when I open a door for a woman, and she responds with "you chauvinist pig!" My first question is "did I do something offensive?" The answer is "no" - I merely opened a door. " Then I ask "what does that reaction tell me about myself." If the answer is "you know, I have a tendency to open doors for women because I perceive them as weaker and in need of my help," then I'll work to change that mindset, because it's not a very good one. If my answer is "I opened the door because she's a human being and it was the polite thing to do," then I'll smile and say, "have a nice day," and move on without giving it a second thought. The problem is hers, not mine.

I think that's a healthy way to live. I think we should all be functioning that way. If I am assessing someone else's behavior, it's against that model.
        I find your ethics and attitude to be offensive and demand an apology at once, you heinous nazi bigot!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I find your ethics and attitude to be offensive and demand an apology at once, you heinous nazi bigot!
          Have a nice day...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Have a nice day...
            Stop OFFENDING ME!!!

MOM!! Carp is offending me!!!

Comment

Have a nice day...
              Mrs Smith. She was about 85 years old, and spry and sharp as they come.

One Sunday at Church as she was leaving, I was holding the door as she exited, and I said, "Have a nice day, Ms Smith".

She spun around and put a bony finger in my face and glared at me and said very sternly, "young man, don't you tell me what kind of day to have!"

After seeing what must have been my priceless shocked expression, she laughed and said, "gotcha!"

She was so much fun!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I would have said, "In that case, I hope you have a rotten day!"
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I would have said, "In that case, I hope you have a rotten day!"
                  That's perfectly consistent with:

It's like King Solomon said, "A kind answer turns away wrath."

Comment

Maybe he's saying it in a very kind voice! Ever think of THAT?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Have a nice day...
                      That's obviously a racist dog whistle signaling that you "really" want him to have a miserable day

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        That's obviously a racist dog whistle signaling that you "really" want him to have a miserable day
                        And you're accusing him of not being a nice person, and daring him to be more like you!

Comment

Consider the context, you prig.

If someone poked fun at me in that manner then why couldn't I poke fun right back?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Consider the context, you prig.
                            That's perfectly consistent with: It's like King Solomon said, "A kind answer turns away wrath."

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Maybe he's saying it in a very kind voice! Ever think of THAT?
                              Sure... I thought of it...

not likely...

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Mind reading is not usually very reliable...

Comment