Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

President Obama's Foreign Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    According to Wikipedia, China's divorce rate is 22%, Russia's 51%, and USA's 53%. Gonna be hard to draw a "traditional values" conclusion from that with your current respective lists. Russia's divorce rate is on par with the USA's and China's valuation of "traditional values" included a national policy of an artificially low birth rate.
    OK so I'm wrong. I'm surprised though.

Lots of reasons. So many reasons. Primarily, though, it's because centralized economic planning, at least in the middle-to-late 20th century, was far, far worse than capitalism. The whole point of Reagan's defense program wasn't to out-gun the Soviets. It was to outspend them.
    OK

It does it well.
    Yes, I wanted the details but it doesn't matter now.

It's of some importance, yes. It is not, though, the primary causal factor or even one of them. Say the USA had a significantly higher working population than it does now — what's that going to get you? Either a lot of people who have to work for far less than current workers or a lot of people drawing unemployment. And with the advances in machine AI and automation already occurring, we're about to find out that cheap human labor (China) and even energy exports (US/Russia) aren't going to be saving graces.
    Fair enough
    “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      How was James Polk an utter and complete failure (overall or in foreign policy)?
      Foreign policy.

For starters he provoked a war with Mexico (to force a reluctant Congress to annex Texas). Abraham Lincoln for one understood the problem that such actions condemning it as being both unconstitutional and a needless aggressive act:
      "Allow the President to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary and you allow him to make war at [his] pleasure."

He nearly did the same thing with Britain over the Oregon Territory but fortunately his saber-rattling resulted in a compromise rather than war.

Since Polk more than one president has been guilty of doing this but many historians agree than none have come close to Polk (the first to do so) in beinging so flagrant about it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Foreign policy.

For starters he provoked a war with Mexico (to force a reluctant Congress to annex Texas). Abraham Lincoln for one understood the problem that such actions condemning it as being both unconstitutional and a needless aggressive act:
        "Allow the President to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary and you allow him to make war at [his] pleasure."

He nearly did the same thing with Britain over the Oregon Territory but fortunately his saber-rattling resulted in a compromise rather than war.

Since Polk more than one president has been guilty of doing this but many historians agree than none have come close to Polk (the first to do so) in beinging so flagrant about it.
        Overly aggressive to be sure, but how are those failures?
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment