Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to admit to being somewhat about this article.

Why on earth would anyone think that "little lies point to bigger lies" will have any weight in this era of normalized lying? Our liar-in-chief is popping them out at an average of over 7 per day, and is showing signs of accelerating.

We live in a post-truth nation. Why should anyone care if a member of SCOTUS lies? Lying is apparently no longer a morally frowned-upon action. It is defended and justified - or people simply deny it exists - or do a "whataboutism."

And it's not just our nation...it's happening in many developed countries.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      I have to admit to being somewhat about this article.

Why on earth would anyone think that "little lies point to bigger lies" will have any weight in this era of normalized lying? Our liar-in-chief
      And that's where I stopped reading.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

We live in a post-truth nation. Why should anyone care if a member of SCOTUS lies? Lying is apparently no longer a morally frowned-upon action. It is defended and justified - or people simply deny it exists - or do a "whataboutism."

Societal rejection of its moral underpinnings has consequences.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I have to admit to being somewhat about this article.

Why on earth would anyone think that "little lies point to bigger lies" will have any weight in this era of normalized lying? Our liar-in-chief is popping them out at an average of over 7 per day, and is showing signs of accelerating.

Most of the "lies" on these lists are typically simple mistakes or differences of opinion[1]. As for the Senator, Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), who brought up the whole thing about if someone ever lies about something he probably lies about everything -- reciting the Latin phrase that sometimes gets quoted to jurors: Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus ("False in one thing, false in everything") -- that is rich coming from someone who made a career out of lying through his teeth about his (non-existent) service in Vietnam.

1. And were classed as such by the media who ignored such lists about previous presidents but who now gleefully traffic in them hoping to give them a veneer of respectability by breathlessly regurgitating them now that Trump is president.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            One irony here is that by posting that picture, you confirm the sentence above it - in your case - on this issue.

And another irony overall here is that, unlike so many posting here, I am completely open to being shown that my current opinion or position is in error. All it takes are facts and convincing argumentation.

"Baloney Jim" doesn't quite cut it. I offered to discuss the list if you wanted to rogue.

Jim
            And I'm willing to but as of yet you've merely demonstrated a propensity to summarily dismiss any and everything that goes against your entrenched, predetermined conclusions that would make anyone wonder why you haven't succeeded in getting airborne what with all the hand waving you do here.

*carpe, it looks like someone has usurped your throne

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Societal rejection of its moral underpinnings has consequences.
              Agreed
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                And that's where I stopped reading.
                I cannot say I am surprised...

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Most of the "lies" on these lists are typically simple mistakes or differences of opinion[1]. As for the Senator, Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), who brought up the whole thing about if someone ever lies about something he probably lies about everything -- reciting the Latin phrase that sometimes gets quoted to jurors: Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus ("False in one thing, false in everything") -- that is rich coming from someone who made a career out of lying through his teeth about his (non-existent) service in Vietnam.

1. And were classed as such by the media who ignored such lists about previous presidents but who now gleefully traffic in them hoping to give them a veneer of respectability by breathlessly regurgitating them now that Trump is president.
                  I have listened to Trump a multitude of times, and for multiple speeches. I have read his "Art of the Deal." Lying is a tool for him. He defends its use, and uses it liberally. For him, if you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes reality for many. He gloats about making claims he either does not know are true, or knows are not true. I frankly, no longer listen to him, because I find the practice irritating and pointless. Why on earth would I listen to a man who has made it clear he will lie to me if it achieves his ends? And I have caught him in one lie after another.

I agree with OBP's observation. In my opinion, our society is founded on a basis of trust. It is the very heart and fabric of our society. Trump (and those who think like him) are ripping that fabric apart in the name of political expediency and power. IMO, nothing could be more dangerous to our democracy and our society.
                  Last edited by carpedm9587; 10-01-2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                    So instead of insulting people directly to their face, or without naming exactly who you're referring to it's better to go the cowards way and simply speak generally about "[the people] around here"?:
                    That is absurd. First, I'm not going to sit around and try to put together an accurate list. Second, I don't have any intrinsic need to call names. Perhaps you live for the opportunity to be rude and nasty, but honestly - I do not.

If you're going to accuse people of simply being too stupid to understand what you're saying you should at least have the backbone to mention people by name.
                    Umm that would be called being rude and nasty. It doesn't take a backbone to be rude and nasty, it just takes a lack of manners or a mean streak.

Jesus himself called Peter Satan. Calling someone something like an idiot or moron is magnitudes less "angry and hurtful" than that.
                    No, actually this is what Jesus said calling someone an idiot:

Source: Matthew 5:21-22

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

© Copyright Original Source

So contrary to your opinion, I'm going to generally avoid calling people idiots or fools directly. See, rather than men, I do in fact fear the one that can throw my soul into the hell of fire.

He called the Pharisees hypocrites and whitewashed tombs. Paul asked the Judaizers to go and castrate themselves. Saying that we never have license to "speak out against sin with 'angry and hurtful remarks'" flies right in the face of the biblical witness. There are cases where "angry and hurtful" remarks (to use your own terminology) is definitely appropriate.

The command to forgive seventy times seven times applies when someone has slighted you personally, it has nothing to do with the kind of psychopath (the wolves Jesus speaks of in the Gospels) who endangers the whole congregation spiritually, or the people who enable his/her behaviour.

There is a place for such actions I agree. But not for people that enjoy doing it or who seek out excuses to act that way. People - such as how you present yourself in this post - that enjoy that sort of thing have seriously missed the mark and need to repent.

There - that enough 'backbone' for you?

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

That is absurd. First, I'm not going to sit around and try to put together an accurate list. Second, I don't have any intrinsic need to call names. Perhaps you live for the opportunity to be rude and nasty, but honestly - I do not.

Umm that would be called being rude and nasty. It doesn't take a backbone to be rude and nasty, it just takes a lack of manners or a mean streak.

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

So contrary to your opinion, I'm going to generally avoid calling people idiots or fools directly. See, rather than men, I do in fact fear the one that can throw my soul into the hell of fire.

There is a place for such actions I agree. But not for people that enjoy doing it or who seek out excuses to act that way. People - such as how you present yourself in this post - that enjoy that sort of thing have seriously missed the mark and need to repent.

Jim
                      So you'd rather call them idiots and fools indirectly?

I realize this is snarky and sarcastic, but if you honestly can't see that this is exactly what you're doing (and have done, more than once), then I think you should do some self-examination.
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        And I'm willing to but as of yet you've merely demonstrated a propensity to summarily dismiss any and everything that goes against your entrenched, predetermined conclusions that would make anyone wonder why you haven't succeeded in getting airborne what with all the hand waving you do here.

*carpe, it looks like someone has usurped your throne
                        DISCLAIMER

The uptick in rudeness is for chrawnus. A one time thing just to provide glimpse into what things might be like if we all joined him and Mountain Man in being as rude as possible. Wouldn't it be just wonderful!

And I see no point in wasting large quantities of time on the same. You remember all those posts as I tried to offer rather obvious evidence that the inauguration pictures were not in fact being manipulated? I spent a good deal of time spoon feeding the characters on this page detail by detail. Scientific fact by scientific fact. Doing the math for them all to show how much background is obscured by a standing man at that distance and angle. I color coded each section in each picture. This is just basic physics and the most basic optics. Absolutely objective stuff. No real question about it at all.

And how many could get over their preconceived notions about what the press was doing? How many could even actually discuss the evidence I presented? It was an absolutely eyeopening experience for me. Simple, objective, no possibility of debate except to the most ignorant or the most stubborn. And yet debate and debate and debate they did, with Mountain Man holding onto his little delusion to the very end.

You just sort of disappeared in that one. No one actually said: Yep - you are right.

So don't talk to me about 'ignoring evidence'. That had not one ounce of possible opinion to it. And you guys couldn't rise to what is the simple and obvious truth. This is 90% opinion. There is no way any logical argument I present would even be read, let alone considered objectively.

So if I don't respond to some long list, it is often because it is so much opinion based hoo rah that I know there is nothing I or anyone else could say that could possibly persuade any of you.

The issue of a 5 year old record of Ford discussing the matter provided from the counselor I thought had a chance, but once again I have underestimated the simple boneheaded stubbornness and ignorance* that is in play here.

So - as relates to this list. If you can hold your sarcasm and limit the discussion to the data sans a bunch of ad hominem 'dressing', we can discuss it. And I'll be absolutely honest with you on each element as to whether I see it as significant or insignificant. And I'll provide the best rational reason I can to back up my opinion to boot.

It's up to you.

Jim

*Chrawnus - that direct enough for you?

My apologies to Rogue - don't take any of the crude rhetoric personally. That was for Chrawnus - a one time thing. I have no desire to create a forest fire just to make Chrawnus happy that people are not being 'namby pamby' Christians.
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-01-2018, 04:57 PM.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Get off your high-horse. The only difference between what you did in post #1305 and using the word idiot or moron is that your way of doing it requires more verbiage.

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

There are some serious deficits in your reading comprehension skills when your interpretation of Jesus' own words makes Him condemn Himself to the fires of hell. Jesus used words that are far worse than "fool" to describe the scribes and pharisees. Forget about seeing the forest, you're so concentrated on the bark you're not even aware of the tree.

I have presented myself in no such way. If I actually cared about your opinion I'd ask you to apologize for your mischaracterization, but this post I'm replying to pretty much confirms your opinion isn't worth the bytes of memory it takes up.

Jim
                          Pitching a hissy fit when someone points out your hypocrisy isn't the same thing as exhibiting a backbone.

Comment

I cannot say I am surprised...
                            You should know by now that my "you know what" detector is extremely sensitive.

Any time someone uncritically posts "Trump's list of lies" cobbled together by a left-wing rag that deceptively labels approximations, exaggerations, differences of opinion, honest mistakes, and obvious jokes as lies, I know that person is not worth taking seriously.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Blatant lie.
                              47,000 women die annually from unsafe abortions. 44 million abortions are carried out annually and about half of those are unsafe. Nothing the church does will save unwanted pregnancies. If they had any humanity they would concentrate their efforts towards women’s healthcare.
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                47,000 women die annually from unsafe abortions. 44 million abortions are carried out annually and about half of those are unsafe. Nothing the church does will save unwanted pregnancies. If they had any humanity they would concentrate their efforts towards women’s healthcare.
                                Ya know, your pontificating would be considered a bit less contemptuous if you would ever provide cites.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment